show me your keys

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by bunkerbob, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

What do you carry on your keyring. May sound trivial, but, this arrangement has not changed for me in over 20 years, one item goes back to my military days. Can you identify it, an indispensable item for sure. I have carried that since...omg its been that long.:ignore:

And no Naekid, not the two jeep keys.:D

In pocket, lighter/flashlight/mirror combo, and pocket knife. Clipped on belt with small carabiner, 3" folding knife, and high power LED flashlight. And yes I check them for functionality regularly, batteries, butane and blade sharpness.

P-38 P-38 Can Opener - The Armys Greatest Invention.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Three keys. One for each vehicle that I drive regularly and one for the house.
    I hate a bunch of stuff on my keyring because it can get so bulky in the pocket. The other amenities mentioned are kept in each vehicle.

3. bunkerbob

BOBs are good in your vehicle, but, one year at work, at night, we lost the power, no emergency lighting. Flashlight on belt help direct lost customers to the front of the store, retail store was about 300,000 sf.:dunno:
    What happens when you are not in or near your car.
    I know extra items on your ring are a pain, wear holes in your pocket, but again you never know when you will need them.:rolleyes:

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I have good night vision. ;) Probably from spending so many cold nights behind the eyepiece of my telescope.

You're right though. You never know, and some day I'll say to myself; "Why didn't I listen to Bob". :rolleyes:

5. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Love those Jeep keys Bob, one looks like a Wrangler and the other a Cherokee or Liberty.;) I just picked up a couple of P-38s the other day.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. bunkerbob

Damn, your good. 1993 Grand, 237,000 miles, 2005 Wrangler, wifes' get around.

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Looks like my chain!:D, 95 wrangler 139,142 miles and a n 03 liberty, 118,000 miles, 6 other jeeps also!

8. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Car keys, house key, PO Box key...no extras. I do keep a pocket knife and lighter in my pocket and a small LED flashlight in my coat pocket. I just don't like a lot of stuff on my key ring. I worked as a mechanic for quite a few years and heavy keyrings are hard on ignition lock cylinders. Okay when it's a customer paying me to replace theirs but not okay when I have to replace my own.

9. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Just the keys I need and a bottle opener that has been on my keyring since I bought it in Florida in 2004. I don't have any baubles or cutsie signs on my ring-just a ring, keys, and the opener.

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I do specific keychains.

The keys on my house key-ring are all house-related, door keys, mail keys - that kind of thing.

Then I have my vehicle specific key-rings. All the keys that belong to my 2006 LJ are on one chain (hood-locks, gas-cap-lock, ignition)

Again, the same situation for my 1988 YJ, my 1992 GMC, etc.

I only carry the keys that I require at that point in time so that if a set gets lost, I am not scrambling to try to recover that loss of access to everything I own. I also do the same thing with my registration / licence papers for my vehicles. I never leave the papers in the vehicle - they stay on my body at all times - and - only the papers that I require for that vehicle I am driving at that moment are on my body.

I found out that if someone was to steal your vehicle and get pulled over by the police before the vehicle is reported stolen, if they can produce the registration / licence / insurance papers, the police will let them go.

11. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Well, no special keys on my keyring, but I do have a quite nice keychain hanger, if I may say so. It is actually something I made myself. It's a spent 12 gauge shell, in which I drilled a hole in the place where the firing pin strikes and added a small loop screw. Then I filled it up with layers of glue and sand and folded the plastics back to the closed position.

Looks pretty cool, I'll insert a pic: (never mind the wear and tear, the lettering just came off)

[​IMG]

Why the sand you say? Well, It needed a little wheight in order to feel at least a bit realistic :D

Greetz,

V.

12. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

I like your setup. I carry a clip gizmo for my keys, that's also a butane lighter. That way, I always have fire. I also got a free mini flashlight thats as bright as any for it's size, I've seen. I also have a small multi tool that folds up, and is not too heavy. If I didn't put all that stuff on there, the first time I didn't carry them, I'd need one of them. I just ordered a bunch of p-38's, but don't really want to carry one around. I also carry a pocket knife everywhere, and have used it many times. I always figured it might save my life one day.

13. zorro

zorro Well-Known Member

I've got these keys: home, postal box, garage, car, laptop locking cable (essential, I'm an IT worker) + the car starting device.
    But as I'm a woman, I often can't keep anything in my pockets... as most of women clothes (professional looking suits I need to put on to meet my customers, dresses I like to put on to please my boyfriend, etc) lack pockets!
    I'm not joking, ask your wife or sister, they'll tell you how frustrating this can get.
    So I keep my bag with me all the time. It has a special strap that allows me to wear it as a shoulder strap or as a backpack. It is big enough for my keys, ID papers, money, knife, pen, small paper pad, lighter and feminine hygiene stuff (you know during that special week).

14. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

My wife and I just finished our paperwork for concealed weapons carry in our state. She will never want to carry a gun in her purse, but I'm hoping to talk her into a stun gun or pepper spray, or a good knife.
    Oddly enough, she already carries a knife in a sheaf for her lunch, inside her purse. Now I guess she'll be legal with that. it's a difficult decision to carry a lethal weapon for some, but other more non lethal are a much easier choice.

One last thought. Does what you carry on your keychain indicate what type of prepper you are, or indicate how serious you are about prepping??? Just curious.

15. bunkerbob

I don't think the items I carry reveal anything out of the ordinary. I've gone through a few airports with what you saw and never raised an eyebrow. Yes if you had something like a "shotgun shell" on your key chain it might raise some suspicion.
    Sorry Veritgo... that might target you for further inspection or scrutiny.:dunno:

16. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

True, never thought of that, on the other hand, with a screw in the back, it is very unlikely to be perceived as a "dangerous device" or something. I'll probably never run into any problems with that, especially since the rest of my appearance is anything but tactical or military-inclined. I think someone hanging a ferrari or bmw logo on their keychain will raise bad interests much more.

V.

17. bunkerbob

They, the a$$hats, would probably perceive the screw as a part of a homemade bomb.:D
    The logos would prompt them to search for large amounts of cash going out of the country.:scratch :D :D

18. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Airport security guards do not have a sense of humor.

19. Tex

Tex Pincushion

I keep my keys on 2 conjoined detachabled key rings. My daily driver keys with allen key for work and my travel pistol box key on one ring and all other keys on the other ring. I only keep the daily driver ring in my pocket usually. I also carry a Kershaw Leek, a Kahr CW-9, and my phone can double as a flashlight in a pinch.

I typically keep a case of bottled water, a blanket, jumper cables, tools, a first aid kit, and 250 rounds of ammo in the truck. The only thing I'm missing is food.

20. woodsupper01

woodsupper01 Guest

:2thumb: I also have a bullet shape pendant keychain. But I bought it from store, I like yours DIY.
    [​IMG]