Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I work, the pharmacy is posting shortages of certain medicines and IV fluids.

Government stockpiling? Any idea why?

·
Registered
837 Posts
My wife deals in medicines and hasn't said anything, but I would assume that the pharmaceutical industry doesn't want the oil companies to make more than they are, so now it's their turn to hose us.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
First off we don't manufactor many of our meds anymore. They are mostly made in foreign nations.A few months ago several people died here from diabestes meds produced , if I remember it was Porto Rico.They were using some kind of filth for the fillers or something .
Also we are sending lots of meds to all these nations we are murdering people in and setting up radical islam, in the name of 'democracy'.
We ain't seen nothing yet !

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It's partly a result of government in action. Medicare and medicaid keep lowering their reimbursement rates so there's less and less incentive for drug companies to produce certain types of drugs. Companies exist to make money for their stockholders. It would be naive, unreasonable, and unrealistic to expect otherwise. It doesn't make companies cold and uncaring. Business is business. If governments wanted those drugs made they could pay enough to make it worthwhile for the companies to do so.

I found this online

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/health/policy/20drug.html?pagewanted=all

"A crucial problem is disconnection between the free market and required government regulation. Prices for many older medicines are low until the drugs are in short supply; then prices soar. But these higher prices do little to encourage more supply, because it can be difficult and expensive to overcome the technical and regulatory hurdles. And if supplies return to normal, prices plunge."

"More than half the recent shortages have resulted because government or company inspectors found problems like microbial contamination that can be lethal on injection. Others have occurred because of capacity problems at drug plants or lack of interest because of low profits, according to the F.D.A."

"Heather Bresch, president of the generic drug giant Mylan, says the shortages grow out of a sweeping consolidation of the generic drug industry into a few behemoths that compete only on price and have foreign plants that are rarely inspected."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that is scarier than an Evil Government Plot (EGP)

It's partly a result of government in action. Medicare and medicaid keep lowering their reimbursement rates so there's less and less incentive for drug companies to produce certain types of drugs. Companies exist to make money for their stockholders. It would be naive, unreasonable, and unrealistic to expect otherwise. It doesn't make companies cold and uncaring. Business is business. If governments wanted those drugs made they could pay enough to make it worthwhile for the companies to do so.

I found this online

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/health/policy/20drug.html?pagewanted=all

"A crucial problem is disconnection between the free market and required government regulation. Prices for many older medicines are low until the drugs are in short supply; then prices soar. But these higher prices do little to encourage more supply, because it can be difficult and expensive to overcome the technical and regulatory hurdles. And if supplies return to normal, prices plunge."

"More than half the recent shortages have resulted because government or company inspectors found problems like microbial contamination that can be lethal on injection. Others have occurred because of capacity problems at drug plants or lack of interest because of low profits, according to the F.D.A."

"Heather Bresch, president of the generic drug giant Mylan, says the shortages grow out of a sweeping consolidation of the generic drug industry into a few behemoths that compete only on price and have foreign plants that are rarely inspected."

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am lucky that at 71 I don't take anything but half of a Alka-Zelser about once every two months.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am lucky that at 71 I don't take anything but half of a Alka-Zelser about once every two months.
I'm in the same boat, 72 in Jan and take nothing except a Prevacid if I eat anything made with or a lot of butter in it which may be every few months if I'm away from home.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I'm in the same boat, 72 in Jan and take nothing except a Prevacid if I eat anything made with or a lot of butter in it which may be every few months if I'm away from home.
my Dad is 72 & not eating butter would kill him (he thinks) ;)

·
Default Member Title Here
83 Posts
my Dad is 72 & not eating butter would kill him (he thinks) ;)
Wish this forum had a 'like' button.
My dad is the same way....but you'd have to add fried fish to the list.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is from companys acting like ticket scalpers with drugs. Often resold at 650% of price.
Industry Economic Report
US Drug Shortages Intensify in January-August 2011, "Grey Market" Takes Advantage

Grey Market Drives up Prescription Drug Prices |

As drug shortages get worse the profiteering and markups promise to get worse as well. With the so called grey market hoarding medications and gauging prices

1 - 10 of 10 Posts