Share something good about ...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by NaeKid, Aug 13, 2010.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

... the city, province, state that you live in, in video...

I found a YouTube video showcasing some good stuff about Calgary, so, I just thought I would share it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keSDMulD4ls]YouTube - Tourism Calgary Welcomes You[/ame]

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Something good about our little town?

I guess the best thing is that it's very rural and nobody knows about it. We don't even have a traffic light.

I'd say that our "claim to fame" would be that the local areas were used for the movies "Night of the Living Dead" and "Kingpin"

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S08_IiA4vF4]YouTube - Driving through Austin, TX[/ame]

This is just a drive through of Austin.

The best thing about my city is the attitude. Everyone does their own thing, and everyone is ok with it. You wan to chain smoke and debate philosophy all day? Cool. You want to strip down to a thong and ride your bike? Cool. You want to do anything that deosn't concern me? Cool. Everything here is just cool. The traffic is the worst in the state (Thanks hippies for turning away highway money in the 70's) and most everyone here has jeans two sizes to small, but it's cool.

4. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

You can buy a house near the water for about $20k-40k. (maybe less if you don't mind the neighbore) We border 20% of the worlds fresh water and the fishing is excellent. With all of the farm produce comming in right now food is fresh and cheap. I am vice mayor and will welcome you with open arms.

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

This is our backyard:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqJL06PDQQw]YouTube - Wilderness In Northwest Montana-(Trampled by Turtles)[/ame]

Not literally, but it's our area.

6. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Ahhhh gee, Gyspy. Did ya have to do that to me?

The wife and I are working to get our business to the point where we can semi-retire and go westfor a few months, probably with the horses.

See what ya did to me? Got me all hankering.:)

7. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

I live in the Mojave desert. The winters are nice and the Sierra mountain range is within view. I love the way the desert smells when it rains. It's kind of like a dusty sage smell.

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

horseman09, you and your wife have a standing invitation to come up if you get to Montana! Just send a P.M. when you're coming!

jnrdesertrats, we love the Mojave Desert too. We spent the month of February there this past winter, and plan to spend Feb., Mar., and April there this winter, in our camper-made-out-of-a-Uhaul-truck! It is beautiful there, and you're right about the smell of the desert when it rains.

We'd never leave Montana year-round, though, and the way the world is going, if we actually get to GO south this winter I'll be surprised. Probably not be able to go many more winters.

9. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Bruce Springsteen was wrong about Youngstown. Yeah we have our past, but I think what we have now and what we will have in the future is pretty promising. In my neighborhood, I am within walking distance of one of the largest metro parks in the country, spanning over 4000 acres of land. There are lakes, trails, a formal garden with a gorgeous new facility that has an art gallery, gift shop, cafe and rooms that can be rented for parties and such. Not to mention all the fun "unofficial" spots like the Flats (hippie potsmoker hangout) or the Witch's Cave.

Home | Mill Creek MetroParks

Youngstown and the surrounding communities have always been big supporters of the performing arts. My husband and I play with three different area orchestras, Youngstown, Warren, and in Greenville, PA. There are also several active dance, theater, and opera companies in the area. But people here don't stop at concerts-they want music everywhere and for every occasion. We play tons of weddings, parties, and church services. My husband already has THREE gigs for Christmas Eve this year. He'll probably take home around $400 that night. Merry Christmas indeed!!

Some of our other favorite places are White House Fruit Farm

White House Fruit Farm in Canfield, Ohio!

and Lake Milton State Park

10. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Why, Gypsysue, thank you! Gonna be a year or two yet, but I've always wanted to see what lies west of the Mississippi. If you and MMM ever get a chance to come east, the wife and I will have the light on for you too.

Lots of people who have never been to PA think it's mostly gritty, defunct steel mills and coal mines. In fact, most of PA is forested, particulary the northern half where we live. Lots of green and lots of game.

But the West -- I gotta see it!

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

horseman09, I used to go with my Mom to a little town in Pennsylvania to see a friend of hers. The friend lived in a place in the mountains called something like "Glitzen" or "Gallitzen". I remember there was one road that went out of town with a very low overhead bridge, like a railroad track over the road, and it had only about 7' or 8' clearance.

It was very beautiful there. So green, and such tightly-packed mountains (not wide open ranges and valleys like out here in the rockies). I haven't been there since '76. That bridge probably isn't even there any more. I'm wanting to say it was coal mining country, but I'm just not sure. I don't even remember where the town is. Near something like "Johnstown" or some place like that?