Sewing & Quilting

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by *Andi, Sep 19, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Projects anyone??? :D

As of right now ... I have none :eek: ... but when I was cleaning the sewing room (which doubles for a craft room, wool picking & carding room ... well you get the picture :eek:)

I did find about 5 yards of flannel fabic (camo :eek:) that I must have picked up for my son ... I'm thinking ... maybe pillow cases. :scratch Or something like that ...

And we will not talk about all the fabic I have here, there and every where :sssh:

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Well, I have been cutting out pieces of fabric for a family quilt for my Husband and I. Of course, I have been cutting them out for the last 10 YEARS or so. I may actually put it together one day, before I die, maybe.....

I had been working on "Momma" products until my serger decided to go nuts on me. I can never get the tension right. So, I switched over to the regular sewing machine and the bobbin keeps getting messed up. I am so NOT mechanically inclined. Now, I am sewing them by hand!

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Sewing them by hand! :gaah: That is the one thing that I hate ... I can do it but it just ties me in knots! (so to speak) :D

So congrats for being able to hang in there.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm still saving up Crown Royal bags to make a comforter with... and by 'make' I mean convince one of the women that actually KNOW how to sew with competency to do it :sssh:

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:lolsmash::lolsmash: ties you in knots!!

I kind of had no choice but to do them by hand:cry:. i made the decision to not "throw any more money away", and by golly I will stick to that! That $9 per month will buy me an extra 25lb bag of flour or in "manspeak" a 12pk for the husband:beercheer:.

I had planned to make a bunch of "family cloths" but I do not want to try doing those without the serger.

6. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I have 2 huge boxes of fabrics, several patterns for ladies and men. I have 2 sewing machines one of which was my grandmother's and does not require electricity. Tons of needles, thread, buttons and trims I have gathered up over the years. We won't go naked and may be something for bartering.

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

is it a foot-treadle sewing machine? that sounds SO cool :2thumb:

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I can sew by hand but choose to use the machine!
    On bobbin problems just make sure that you have it loaded the right way-I have been sewing for years and still every so often, will load that puppy up backward or will string the machine up wrong!:sssh:
    Another problem I have found with sewing and machines--if you get a bad spool of thread you will work and work and it is the thread goofing up your machine not your machine goofing up! so always try a good spool of thread.

If you have problems with your thread knotting up on ya while hand sewing- try this trick-get an old candle (same color as thread or white) and thread your needle and then run the thread over the candle/pull the thread over the candle-it will "grease" up the thread and you shouldn't have too many problems with the thread knotting funny.

I have a little plastic case that has a chunk of beeswax in it for this same purpose, and it is a life saver!.

I have about 4 more window quilts to sew together for my home and then I am making heavy drapes for the stair well from a whole roll of upholstery fabric that was given to me! It is much heavier than the old curtains that are there now.

But here for the next few months I am head of the "costume guild" for the high school play! The True Adventures of Robin Hood! its a spoof and is gonna be a blast!

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That's disappointing ... :dunno:

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I had a "duh moment :eek:" and had to do a search. lol I found some awesome Crown Royal bags comforters. (I guess that tells the tell that I'm not a Crown Royal fan.) lol

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Well the camo flannel fabic is now 4 pillow cases, curtains (small window) and a sheet.

I think I had more of that stuff than I knew :confused: lol ... but it is done.:congrat

12. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Good for you!! This thread made me look around. We have a gun/fabric room. One side is guns, ammo and reloading stuff. One side is fabric and sewing and knitting and crocheting stuff.

Hmmmmm ... there are gun "things" laying on my fabric!!!!! :eek: I can see the blocks for at least two quilts that are cut out and waiting to be sewn together. We're not even gonna talk about the big basket of yarn that seems to be overflowing now ... :eek:

I think I am gonna clean my room and do some sewing today ... right after I put the bread in the oven.

(I should spend less time on the computer and more time in front of the sewing machine. Thanks for lighting a fire under my behind!!) :D

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

lol

You will have to let me know you make. :D

14. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Every year I try to finish a quilt. I have totes full of fabric and yarn and other sewing essentials. This year I am making my eldest granddaughter a butterfly quilt. I cut it out last spring for this winter and hopefully I will get it finished. Not sure if I will though, been babysitting for the grandkids lately and sure cuts the time I have to get anything done. Its hard to get stuff done with a 17 month old getting into everything and I swear he eats every hour or so. i never seen a kid eat so much.

I do most of my quilting by hand, all of it. I find it relaxing.

I love to crochet but havent done anything for a while. I have a couple totes of yarn too.

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

My mom made me a butterfly quilt, some twenty years ago ... I LOVE it!

I take my hat off to anyone that can sew by hand, it drives me up the wall.:confused: (Don't know why).

16. BadgeBunny

Ditto ... :gaah: When I am doing hand-sewing my husband says over and over to me "I thought you did this because you ENJOYED it" ... :p

17. BadgeBunny

Well, here goes ... I got the shelf that is mine cleaned off and OMGosh ... :D

I found a comforter I started probably 4 years ago ... all I need to do is put the batting and backing on it and tie it down. There is a fleece thingamabobber that I have the binding hand-sewn :gaah: to ... all I need to do is run it through the machine ... couple of hats I was crocheting and a sweater I started. :p

All that and I bought a down comforter at Sams yesterday that "NEEDS" a duvet cover ... really, really bad. And there is some fabric at Hobby Lobby that NEEDS to be a duvet cover. :D :beercheer:

I was reading an article last night about raising angora rabbits and spinning your own yarn. I wonder how many rabbits a metropolitan area considers "too many"? :scratch:p

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Your sewing room sounds like mine! lol

You will have to let me know how the angora rabbits works out ... I do have a friend near New York City that has meat rabbits in her back yard. So it could be worth looking into. :D

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

You guys' projects are so fun to read about!

I made a billion hot pads this year for Christmas. I used old, clean towels for the insulation layer in the middle between the front and back cloth. I used bias tape for the edges.

I still have to sew the handle loop on one of these, and I'm going to make an oven mitt to match, using the rest of the fabric, which I bought at JoAnn fabric.

The set will be a Christmas present (late, at this rate! lol) for my sister! She's a "cat" person.

[​IMG]

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

They are soooooooo cute!

:congrat:

Thanks for posting the picture!