Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many of us have sewing machines but has anyone thought about running those when the power goes out? Have you thought about getting one of those foot powered machines or are you going to sew by hand?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I have my great grandmothers treadle sewing machine, which I can put into service. I can also sew by hand but it is not my favorite thing to do.

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
Most electrics have fairly small motors that could be run from batteries and an inverter.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Any Singer that uses a belt is a simple conversiion to tredle. Singer made a "toy" called the Sew Easy that is a fully functional sewing machine made as a first machine for little girls. I have one of the later ones that was made in Turkey. You can find 'em on ebay.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an older kenmore that I have put on an old treadle base. So I can now even do zig zag as well as button holes with it. And I do also know how to hand sew but would rather do the treadle kenmore that we put together than hand.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
34 Posts
The old treadles are getting hard to come by, but they are invaluable. Another thing to consider is the thread, cloth won't be hard to come by cause you can always patchwork usable scraps, but thread that you can run through a machine will run out first.

·
The end is extremely nigh
105 Posts
We have my great grandmothers treadle machine but it is out of service for now, I also have an old Singer that belonged to my grandmother that could probably be converted to a treadle, and I can hand sew fairly well but it's definitely not my favorite thing to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts