Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured out they could not pay for a 400 BILLION annual health care program, now blame the GOP in Washington for their not having enough money for the program. A goat looking for an escape.

Senate Bill Cuts One Third of California's Medicaid Funding

by CHRISS W. STREET25 Jun 2017Newport Beach, CA0

California Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Los Angeles) has blamed the collapse of the state legislature's effort to socialize the state's $389.5 billion in healthcare spending on the U.S. Senate Republicans' restructure of Obamacare, which threatens to "reallocate" over a third of California's $82 billion of Medicaid funding to other states.

Rendon stated that SB 562 will not go to a floor vote by both houses of the legislature, because it was flawed by not addressing "financing, delivery of care, cost controls, or the realities of needed action by the Trump Administration and voters to make SB 562 a genuine piece of legislation." But he emphasized that the Republicans' Obamacare restructuring proposal is an existential threat to the Democrats' dream of socializing a fifth of California's GDP.

The United States spends about 17.8 percent of GDP, or about $3.4 trillion, on healthcare, according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. California is by far the largest state market for healthcare spending, with 11.5 percent, or $389.5 billion, of all such expenditure.

Due to the historic design of Medicaid, the only limitation on enrollment is an individual's or family's income as a percent of the poverty rate. Obamacare drastically increased Medicaid enrollment by raising the percent of income over the poverty rate necessary to qualify for the program.

California received about $5 billion in Obamacare federal subsidies to help pay healthcare premiums for about 1.2 million individuals. But California's big bucks came from Obamacare's "Medicaid Expansion," where the state received about an extra $15 billion to expand its Medi-Cal coverage by 3.5 million individuals.

As a result, California now has about 13.5 million individuals enrolled in Medi-Cal, or about 34.5 percent of the state's 39.1 million residents. But with only 31 states and the District of Columbia participating, the total U.S. Medicaid expansion was 14.4 million individuals, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. That means California captured over 24.3 percent of Obamacare's Medicaid Expansion funding.

Of the 68.9 million individuals currently enrolled in Medicaid, California has 19.6 percent of all U.S. Medicaid enrollment and receives 19.6 percent of Medicaid funding, according to the Medicaid.gov website. But under the Republican Senate's restructuring, that would change dramatically.

The Republican Senate's restructuring of Obamacare does allow federal Medicaid funding to be "block granted" to each state, so California could develop its own socialized medicine benefit program. But the Senate's restructuring coverts Medicaid funding from an unlimited number of enrollees, to a "per capita cap" funding amount based on the state's population.

Given that California currently has 12.4 percent of the nation's population and 19.6 percent of the nation's Medicaid funding, the Senate Obamacare restructuring proposal would "reallocate" 7.6 percent of national Medicaid funding on a per capita basis to the other states.

That means that California would lose 37 percent of its $82.0 billion in Medicaid funding to the other states. That amounts to a California being at risk of losing $30.3 billion in federal funding.

Can you say, mess with the bull, get the horns!

article link: CLICK HERE

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
Restructuring is the answer!!!

Know what....I'll bet if they cut off all the illegals, all the criminals, all the LGBT "poor" who get meds and transgender operations and counseling, all those who are just plain fraudulently getting Medicaid in the first place, and welfare momma's who just keep having MORE kids to get those bigger benefits, I'd bet Californication's Medicaid costs would drop like a rock! Yup, "restructuring" would help! :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
When more than 1/3 of a state's citizens are recieving state/fed. funded medical aid, there is a serious problem. The heavy burden of subsidizing the care and welfare of those that will not do what's necessary to be self-reliant and independent is unsustainable.

There are certainly many that are incapable of independent living and these citizens should be subsidized but, those that are able yet unwilling to do what's necessary to stay off of the public dole need to learn a hard lesson. Coddling the slackers is a recipe for failure, on the individual, state and federal levels.

Thank God that we have a congress and POTUS that sees the time bomb of continued unnecessary handouts. There will be pain but there will also be growth, on the individual, state and federal levels. Now if POTUS DJT can get another SCOTUS appointment or two, we may even be able to sustain the reversal of the damages inflicted on every citizen of the U.S.A. by the 8 year reign of BHO.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Know what....I'll bet if they cut off all the illegals, all the criminals, all the LGBT "poor" who get meds and transgender operations and counseling, all those who are just plain fraudulently getting Medicaid in the first place, and welfare momma's who just keep having MORE kids to get those bigger benefits, I'd bet Californication's Medicaid costs would drop like a rock! Yup, "restructuring" would help! :D
Your talking out your other end again...LGBT are about as likely to get mental healthcare for being on Medicaid as the crazies that go on shooting sprees. Pretty much Nobody that can't afford it gets mental healthcare. Also, I can't bill a Medicaid patient that doesn't have a legal ss#. If they are illegal they almost always pay cash for outpatient services. You can't input a ss# if they leave it blank on the form and it gets cross checked in a number of government systems. Dealing with Medicaid fraud will get a gang of people in your medical practice ASAP documenting, reviewing and possibly fining you if you've miscoded anything in the past few months.

Just as a lot of people here complain about social security kicking the problem down the road, EMTALA from Reagan set us up for this. This legislative move will eventually push towards allowing hospitals to pick and choose who gets treatment...those that can afford it. The cost of health care isn't something new. We just didn't bitch about it on the news. If your insurance didn't cover your heart attack or hospital stay, you were a ******* for buying cheap insurance or not reading the fine print - we didn't care if that is all you could afford. As Medicare (and Medicaid) expanded it became the safety net for those that lost or changed jobs or had benefits that didn't provide coverage for the the more expensive, intensive, (and usually life saving procedures).

If you are on Medicare or Medicaid, buy supplemental insurance now. In 2019, a lot of places are not going to be obligated to treat you. You will have limited coverage and the first insurance plans to go are the ones that bring in the sicker older patients and reimburse poorly. Kurt Vonnegut had a story about a society where old people voluntarily went to a clinic, sat in a BarcaLounger and were euthanized. Just give us a few decades....if only I could see his face shining down from the afterlife he didn't believe in.

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
Drfacefixer.....you said, "Your talking out your other end again...LGBT are about as likely to get mental healthcare for being on Medicaid as the crazies that go on shooting sprees. Pretty much Nobody that can't afford it gets mental healthcare. Also, I can't bill a Medicaid patient that doesn't have a legal ss#. If they are illegal they almost always pay cash for outpatient services. You can't input a ss# if they leave it blank on the form and it gets cross checked in a number of government systems. Dealing with Medicaid fraud will get a gang of people in your medical practice ASAP documenting, reviewing and possibly fining you if you've miscoded anything in the past few months."

Well, crap, how do we get all these people OFF the "free ride?" Even if they can't get Medicaid, they still hit the emergency rooms, don't they? And how are all the illegals getting ANY kind of benefits if they aren't presenting a valid ID/SS Card? (Not that GETTING false ID or a valid SS# is any great difficulty....hell, the ID is available online, and getting a valid duplicate SS card is no problem.)

Surely there must be SOME way to cut the waste out? :scratch

·
Registered
768 Posts
Drfacefixer.....you said, "Your talking out your other end again...LGBT are about as likely to get mental healthcare for being on Medicaid as the crazies that go on shooting sprees. Pretty much Nobody that can't afford it gets mental healthcare. Also, I can't bill a Medicaid patient that doesn't have a legal ss#. If they are illegal they almost always pay cash for outpatient services. You can't input a ss# if they leave it blank on the form and it gets cross checked in a number of government systems. Dealing with Medicaid fraud will get a gang of people in your medical practice ASAP documenting, reviewing and possibly fining you if you've miscoded anything in the past few months."

Well, crap, how do we get all these people OFF the "free ride?" Even if they can't get Medicaid, they still hit the emergency rooms, don't they? And how are all the illegals getting ANY kind of benefits if they aren't presenting a valid ID/SS Card? (Not that GETTING false ID or a valid SS# is any great difficulty....hell, the ID is available online, and getting a valid duplicate SS card is no problem.)

Surely there must be SOME way to cut the waste out? :scratch
From my experience, Illegals try to avoid the ER when necessary. They usually aren't willing to risk potential deportation unless their life is at stake. We don't treat patients without Identification unless they are incapacitated. It's a pain in the butt and there are multiple issues with law suits, if the person cannot understand you, or lacks the capacity to consent to treatment. When there is an immediate threat to life, two doctors can sign off on the treatment without the patients consent, but if there is any bad outcome and the review board had findings that there wasn't immediate threat to life, then there are a lot of issues.

I actually never know a patients legal immigrant status - but I can make some generalizations by insurance. If they have medicare, medicaid - they are legal just like anyone else. That's not the case most of the time, unless they are elderly in which case they were long term retired labors living off social security and medicare that they paid into. If they are illegal - they most likely either have primary insurance through their job (which requires Name and DOB as identification, Not SS#) or they are on workman's comp insurance because of an accident at a job site. Either way, they generally aren't using up resources. They're employers are paying for it. Whether the employers are doing things legal or not is another issue, not my issue.

The people that suck up the resources are the "trailor trash" low income American's that don't think it's beneficial to pay into an insurance system. Obviously they hope to never need it, but when they do, they stiff the bill, pick up and move from the creditors. These people drive me nuts. They're priorities are just screwed up. If I could trade these lazy American's out for somebody that actually wants to pursue the American dream, I would do so in a heartbeat.

The next category of drainers are the unhealthy baby boomers. We spend the majority of our healthcare costs on hospitalizations for chronic illness which for the most part could be mitigated through weight loss and preventative care. Yet, American's like to be fat...I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I am a baby boomer. My 2 prescriptions are for cholesterol and acid reflux. Since my accident I have lost 13 pounds - down to 95 now. I am trying really hard to gain back those pounds, but I will just leave it at that.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
From my experience, Illegals try to avoid the ER when necessary. They usually aren't willing to risk potential deportation unless their life is at stake. We don't treat patients without Identification unless they are incapacitated. It's a pain in the butt and there are multiple issues with law suits, if the person cannot understand you, or lacks the capacity to consent to treatment. When there is an immediate threat to life, two doctors can sign off on the treatment without the patients consent, but if there is any bad outcome and the review board had findings that there wasn't immediate threat to life, then there are a lot of issues.

I actually never know a patients legal immigrant status - but I can make some generalizations by insurance. If they have medicare, medicaid - they are legal just like anyone else. That's not the case most of the time, unless they are elderly in which case they were long term retired labors living off social security and medicare that they paid into. If they are illegal - they most likely either have primary insurance through their job (which requires Name and DOB as identification, Not SS#) or they are on workman's comp insurance because of an accident at a job site. Either way, they generally aren't using up resources. They're employers are paying for it. Whether the employers are doing things legal or not is another issue, not my issue.

The people that suck up the resources are the "trailor trash" low income American's that don't think it's beneficial to pay into an insurance system. Obviously they hope to never need it, but when they do, they stiff the bill, pick up and move from the creditors. These people drive me nuts. They're priorities are just screwed up. If I could trade these lazy American's out for somebody that actually wants to pursue the American dream, I would do so in a heartbeat.

The next category of drainers are the unhealthy baby boomers. We spend the majority of our healthcare costs on hospitalizations for chronic illness which for the most part could be mitigated through weight loss and preventative care. Yet, American's like to be fat...I will leave it at that.
Yea I get your gist but don't worry maybe soon you can move out of that trailor and pay your premiums.

I sure hope so because the hard working Americans are tired of keeping up commie traitors who hate us but love our resources.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,674 Posts
HA-HA.
No really.
HA-HA!
Wasteful S.O.Bs need to figure out what real life is, I can't even get a tooth pulled on medicaid.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
HA-HA.
No really.
HA-HA!
Wasteful S.O.Bs need to figure out what real life is, I can't even get a tooth pulled on medicaid.
We use to have clinics both medical and dental for low income and vets. But they were flooded with non Americans for their free or low cost services, so now the non citizens still get it all free and we are without proper care.
Thank both Repubs and Dems for this.

The VA sucked every since I knew them through my VNam friends and families but it was still better then than now. Mostly pill pushers then and now. Suicidal drugs that made many kill themselves. And the beat goes on. MAkes me sick.

·
As smart as
555 Posts
Under Obama, a family could earn 400% of the local 'poverty level'.

Here in Alaska that means a "family" of 3 can be making $64K/yr (yes, $64,000) and still collect welfare.

Color me unsympathetic.

·
1,292 Posts
Under Obama, a family could earn 400% of the local 'poverty level'.

Here in Alaska that means a "family" of 3 can be making $64K/yr (yes, $64,000) and still collect welfare.

Color me unsympathetic.
I'm taking it as that's a low wage to live up there with the cost of living?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts