Seed Catalog 2011

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, Nov 15, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Got the first one yesterday ... :2thumb: Now I have my seeds for next spring, but it sure is fun to look at and never to early to start next years plan...

Might have to order some of the white cotton seeds ... :sssh:

2. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I love to get the seed catalogs. Read, dream and plan the most perfect gardens.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

don't forget, you only get about one bale of cotton per acre, YahooAnswers is WRONG :mad:

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I will not be planting any where near an acre ... This year I grew about 25 plants each of green and brown cotton. It's a very cool plant and one day I will learn how to spin it. :gaah: (Back to the drawing board.:cry:)

5. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

yay!! Buy early though and expect shortages...lot of folks will be starting gardens or expanding what they have this year!

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I had to smile today when I saw a guy with his tiller in the front yard ... By the way I hope he does know where the power lines to his house are ... :eek: lots of folks don't think about that ....

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

the power company will be MORE than happy to mark them, they even have a program called Call Before You Dig

8. Halfway

Halfway Grunt

I am starting to get a nice big pile to start dog-earing and highlighting.

Totally Tomatoes

Pinetree Seeds

Vermont Seeds

Twilley

Park Seeds.

I'm sure more are on the way!

9. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

For anybody that grows different kinds of beans, I found that the Stokes Seed catalog has the best selection I've seen. They are competitive on price, and gave pretty good service. No, I don't work for the company--just a satisfied customer.
    I plant a lot of green beans, and their catalog had more varieties of green beans than I have seen. I ordered enough to last me several years in my backyard garden. I don't know how much longer we can get seeds through the mail, and in many area, the retail locations to get seeds in bulk can be hard to find.
    Happy gardening guys.

10. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

folks, any direct links, if allowed, would be appreciated.

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

This is one of my favorites:

Johnny's Selected Seeds

They have all their seeds labeled for hybrid or non-hybrid, organic, can-be-grown-in-a-greenhouse, sun/shade, etc., as well as zones and length of growing season needed.

I've also ordered from:

Seeds, Fruits, Vegetables, Trees, Plants and More - Gurney's Seed & Nursery

They have a lot of variety and a nicely laid-out catalog, even online. Watch for their sales after the first rush of the planting season. They have some great sales and clearances.

I've had good luck with mail-order plants and seeds from both companies. There are a lot of other good ones out there, and I hope more links are posted.

12. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

thanks gypsysue for the links.

13. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

direct link

here's the link to stokes seeds for those that want it:
    Flower Garden Seeds and Vegetable Garden Seeds | Stokes Seeds
    Hope this helps. By the way, i just got notice that the rest of my seed order is on it's way. here in Florida, we can grow stuff most of the year round. I have brocolli, and lettuce in the front flower beds. kind of a dead zone time for flowers coming up, so my wife suggested planting vegies there. Anyway, learn to get creative with vegies, push your growing season, start early, stay late, try new stuff that's not supposed to grow in your area. You's be suprised at what you can do. Just because a book says that something won't grow in your area doesn't mean the plant knows that. Go for it. happpy gardening....

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

*drool, drool* :D

15. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

Yup we are going to start garden planning right after Christmas (one thing at a time). I want to start things indoors this year and get a jump on the growing season.

Don't count on them. The utility companies marked lines for our neighbor to fix his sewer. He dug exactly where he was supposed to. Hit an unmarked gas line. Thankfully, everything turned out fine and the kiddos got to see a fire truck up close.

16. Daegnus

Daegnus Active Member

Just a quick FYI, Johnny's Selected Seeds was bought by Monsanto about 3 years ago. It was kept under the table a bit.... but expect to see some of Monsanto's GMO seeds showing up in their catalog.

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yes, Johnny's used to be the one you could count on for non-hybrid seeds. Now you have to pick carefully through the catalog to find them. I didn't know it was because they were bought by Monsanto, but that explains a lot!

Also, if seeds are listed as "organic" I'm not sure that means they're open-pollinated, or non-hybrid, or heirloom. I wonder if that just means they weren't treated with pesticides or herbicides? If so, then one may not be able to save seeds from them and grow productive future crops.

I guess a good plan would be to get as many heirloom or open-pollinated seeds and start saving them ourselves. I've been working on that for a few years, and have done some trading to fill in some gaps.

18. Daegnus

Daegnus Active Member

Organic simply means that they were certified by a Gov't approved body. Which means they followed Gov't guidelines for "certified organic" which is less than optimal. Ideally you want to look for seeds that say both "organic" AND "open-pollinated". Heirloom is more of a gimmicky word nowadays and doesn't always mean that it is in fact an heirloom variety, so stick with ones you know for sure are heirloom varieties, and if you want new ones, pick them up from a company you trust.

19. Halfway

Halfway Grunt

Fresh greens under basement lights. Cheap. And delicious!

20. Halfway

Halfway Grunt

Received "JUNG" last night. I think that about wraps it up. I have pages dog-eared from each, so this is going to be fun deciding which one or 2 get the orders!!!

:surrender: