Seed Bank Ark

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by csbutler2109, Jan 6, 2010.

1. csbutler2109

csbutler2109 Member

Has anyone seen the special about the Seed Ark. They are collecting all varieties of seeds from all around the world and storing them in this big freezer in the mountains in case of a global catastrophe? Sorry all, I just noticed the other posts about this. In the future, I will look through the site before asking a question.

2. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I haven't. Where did you read about it? I know the seed bank in Northern Europe they built recently. That's all I've read about.

3. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they made an animated movie like this a few years ago. Some space movie where the earth is destroyed and this kid has to find a spaceship that his dad built that had genetic copies of every living thing on earth, so he could duplicate earth.

wow. can't believe i remembered that.

4. dewey

dewey Member

Not sure, but you might be referring to the non-gmo seed bank?
    I have heard that there is a collection of seed that has had no possible contact with gmo seed. So, in case some terrible mutation takes place and wipes out a race or races of plants, there will still be some virgin seed stock that remains untainted.

5. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

The animated movie would be Titan A.E.

The seed vault is a good idea. It is good in theory. However, here are the problems I could potentially see.

1. The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is located on a remote island in the arctic region of Norway. So a major catastrophe occurs. The world is crippled. You need to start growing food again. How do you get to the seeds?

2. You have multiple countries in need of viable seeds. Who gets them? Is it first come, first serve, or will they just have to fight it out for them.

3. The entire facility uses coal powered refrigeration units. What happens if there is no more coal available. Or if there is nobody to provide the coal to them?

It is estimated that if the power goes out, the vault will stay cool for about 2 weeks before the temperature gets high enough to begin damaging the seeds. So who is to say that there will be any usable seeds when you finally get there.

6. drhwest

drhwest Junior Member

"It is estimated that if the power goes out, the vault will stay cool for about 2 weeks before the temperature gets high enough to begin damaging the seeds. So who is to say that there will be any usable seeds when you finally get there. "

I read the same thing. If that is the case the whole thing is a huge waste of money. Each country should have their own version of this. Maybe not to the same degree, but somehting that would help rebuild after a catastrophe.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Preparedness starts at home. Don't wait for your .gov to prepare for a calamity. Store your own seeds. You don't need a deep freeze to save seeds. Most seeds will store for at least 2 years with many remaining viable for 5 or more if stored in a cool, dry environment. I keep my own private seed bank right here. :woohoo:

8. Oroborus

Oroborus Member

Bill Gates helped fund the seed ark along with other powerful elites. It seems shady to me, because here they will have more control over our food supply much like Monsanto is doing. If something of a large magnatude happens, don't count on them doling out that stuff as free charity. There will be some angle of control that will go along with it.

9. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

True, a majority of the population would be under the control of the powers that have the seeds to grow food. Then there are the pockets of us who grow using heirloom varieties that seed true to type and keep our own supply. I collect about twice the seed I will actually use so would have enough to grow extra if it came down to that.