Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See Something, Say Something

.... and if that something you said turns out to be false and to ruin someone's live, reputation, finances (in defending it), etc... Well don't you worry about that, the goverment will not allow you to be sued for what you said.

AFP: US lawmaker aims to protect tipsters on extremists

·
77 Posts
Yep, I just finished my annual week of training for my job and that was a long, full day subject topic. They want us to be the narcs for them, and report EVERYTHING we see to a fusion center in Denver.

To hell with them. If its obvious, sure. But otherwise, to hell with them.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...They want us to be the narcs for them, and report EVERYTHING we see to a fusion center in Denver...
As much as the expectation that we all spy on each other upsets me, removing the ability for me to legally pursue someone for libel or slander just because they decide to make up lies about me gets me even more upset. A few made up stories and claims and you could pretty much ruin someone's life and this would remove any legal ground they would have to come back at you. I... I... i'm at a loss for words over this proposed policy. :nuts:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It's a good law. If you report what you think is a crime you should be protected from being sued if you're wrong. It's similar to laws preventing good samaritans from being sued if they try to help people at an accident site or after a catastrophe.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
But, what if, as Culex says, I make up a very damaging lie about you and report it to the fed. The fed/state storm troopers pound your door down in the middle of the night, drag you and your family out of bed, cuff you, ransack your house, leak unsubstantiated (untrue) info about you to the press. You lose your job, your house, your friends and your life as you knew it........ and -- you can't sue me?!:eek::mad:

Hmmm. Whatever happened to America? :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
Preppers have been a targets for this activity. Because your neighbor has "lots of guns" and other "military stuff" he is now a prime target for inspection because he/she is considered a possible terrorist.

Imagine someone seeing a man with an unmarked white van and lots of PVC? Someone idiot will think they are making pipe bombs, not that they are a plumber.

Now a days what you have on your person or property can be used against you to further your demise. I.E. PVC, chemicals, gasoline, etc could be used as evidence of your bomb making.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
The absolute evil and horror that happened in Oslo by this 'so called christian right winger' is a dictatorships dream for us here.They will use this to further entrap,harass and 'terrorize 'us.
Christians" clinging to their guns and religian" will be watched and eventually lose the second ammendment.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
But, what if, as Culex says, I make up a very damaging lie about you and report it to the fed. The fed/state storm troopers pound your door down in the middle of the night, drag you and your family out of bed, cuff you, ransack your house, leak unsubstantiated (untrue) info about you to the press. You lose your job, your house, your friends and your life as you knew it........ and -- you can't sue me?!:eek::mad:

Hmmm. Whatever happened to America? :(
I would hope any accusations are properly investigated before the feds act like the Gestapo.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would hope any accusations are properly investigated before the feds act like the Gestapo.
History is a wonderful teacher. Think Richard Jewel/Atlanta bombings, Waco, Ruby Ridge, the Student loan/swat team fiasco. Ratchet back a few presidents ago, and BATF was refered to as Storm Troopers. In the last 20 years LEO agencies have brutalized untold thousands.

·
Registered
444 Posts
History is a wonderful teacher. Think Richard Jewel/Atlanta bombings, Waco, Ruby Ridge, the Student loan/swat team fiasco. Ratchet back a few presidents ago, and BATF was refered to as Storm Troopers. In the last 20 years LEO agencies have brutalized untold thousands.
What, you mean all of our civil liberties, freedoms, etc. were not lost in the last 2 years? Who would have think it.:cool:

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd hope so too... but which case is more likely:

A) Simple case of mistaken observation and a short chat with someone from some agency? Then no harm, no foul.

B) As we've seen reported time and again, they come swarming in with force and drag you away. Media coverage of some "suspected" terrorist, blah, blah, blah... But the media certainly isn't going to apologize or follow up with a retraction if it turns out you did nothing wrong. Plus those web site reports sit out there forever. You get stuck in their "interview" for a few days with no access to the outside. Work can't reach you and considers you in violation of the policy so they fire you... and that assumes no one in your place of employment saw the news which would also get you fired. Now you try to get another job, takes a long time in this economy. You get behind on payments and file bankruptcy or lose the house. Family can't handle the stress and divorce results. Of course if you got dragged off as a potential terrorist local child services has long since "kidnapped" your kids and you have to fight to try to get them back. You finally do land an interview and during their "internet search for your name" as part of a background check they find dozens of news reports that say you were detained as a possible terrorist.

Yeah, if it's A then the law is probably OK. History says it's going to be B, not A, and in this case I don't want my right to sue for compensation for ruining my life, over a slanderous statment, taken away.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts

A) Simple case of mistaken observation and a short chat with someone from some agency? Then no harm, no foul.

B) As we've seen reported time and again, they come swarming in with force and drag you away. Media coverage of some "suspected" terrorist, blah, blah, blah... But the media certainly isn't going to apologize or follow up with a retraction if it turns out you did nothing wrong. Plus those web site reports sit out there forever. You get stuck in their "interview" for a few days with no access to the outside. Work can't reach you and considers you in violation of the policy so they fire you... and that assumes no one in your place of employment saw the news which would also get you fired. Now you try to get another job, takes a long time in this economy. You get behind on payments and file bankruptcy or lose the house. Family can't handle the stress and divorce results. Of course if you got dragged off as a potential terrorist local child services has long since "kidnapped" your kids and you have to fight to try to get them back. You finally do land an interview and during their "internet search for your name" as part of a background check they find dozens of news reports that say you were detained as a possible terrorist.

Yeah, if it's A then the law is probably OK. History says it's going to be B, not A, and in this case I don't want my right to sue for compensation for ruining my life, over a slanderous statment, taken away.
What right?We lost those already.Do you think some liberal lawyer will take your case if your straight ,white and conservative?
This starts at the UN and has supporters all over the world.
Now they have their third word armies inside our nation who will defend them and help uphold their actions.Did yopu hear Obombs a couple days ago talking to a group at the border?He commited teason in front of the whole world,he knew most of the laRazas thre were illegals.As he insulted our countrymen and nation he sided with invaders.
This is proof that there is a God and a devil.Only a evil spirit could decieve so many millions of people.We do not fight with flesh,but with powers of the air.
For a nation of educated people to hide and watch while their livlihoods and even lives are threatened is proof of super natural powers affecting their minds.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What right?We lost those already.Do you think some liberal lawyer will take your case if your straight ,white and conservative?
I have no delusion about trying to sue the gov... that would be an even bigger headache. I'm talking about my right to file a civil lawsuit on grounds of slander/libel against the person who made up stuff about me. The propsed protections would prevent you from even doing this. If the protection passes I could say/lie anything I wanted about you, you'd suffer the repercussions and have no legal recourse against me.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I have no delusion about trying to sue the gov... that would be an even bigger headache. I'm talking about my right to file a civil lawsuit on grounds of slander/libel against the person who made up stuff about me. The propsed protections would prevent you from even doing this. If the protection passes I could say/lie anything I wanted about you, you'd suffer the repercussions and have no legal recourse against me.
Filing a lawsuit is easy if you get a lawyer to take the case,otherwise you better have a lot of money and knowledge if you do it yourself.
Winning is another story,which was my point.
You face a huge lobby with unlimited funds who will fight.
Now if your a member or supporter of these lobbies you can win.There are 1000s of supporters like ,NAACP,NOI,CAIR,LARAZA,MEncha,LULAC,ACORN,Black,PRIDE,SEIU,GLBT, Panthers,Muslim Brotherhoods and many more who have all the parties protecting them,including the Rinos,Ron Pauls and other so called conservatives.if your not one of the above ,you don't have anyone on your side was my point.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

I would put forth the challenge to show when the last time was in which this scenario played out in reality. There are laws in place to prevent any such actions.

The problem is that scenario "A" plays out thousands of times each day, while scenario "B" may have happened once or twice in the last twenty years, but those stories are the ones to which people cling.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem is that scenario "A" plays out thousands of times each day, while scenario "B" may have happened once or twice in the last twenty years, but those stories are the ones to which people cling.
I'll concede that right now A does happen more than B. :surrender:

Then again 12 years ago when I had to fly it didn't require leaving most toilietries at home, removing shoes, belt, all pocket contents, etc. getting fondled and then having a body scan either. It was just a few simple questions about your bag being in your sight and under your control since you packed it. :D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'll concede that right now A does happen more than B. :surrender:

Then again 12 years ago when I had to fly it didn't require leaving most toilietries at home, removing shoes, belt, all pocket contents, etc. getting fondled and then having a body scan either. It was just a few simple questions about your bag being in your sight and under your control since you packed it. :D
Point! :)

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
The inability to 'sue' does NOT mean no retribution. Y'all know what 'payback' can be. If someone ruins MY life, they WILL be treated to the same, one way or another. The FedGov goons should NOT be considered immune to such action either. Our legal system is a good thing when used properly, but there comes a time when "A man saddles his own horse, and kills his own snakes."
I prefer working within the system, but if that system is broken and faulty.....?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts