Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing a dvr security camera​ system, anyone have good recommendations. Would like up to 8 cameras preferably with cat 5 one wire to cameras.
Thanks

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
Thinking about installing a dvr security camera system, anyone have good recommendations. Would like up to 8 cameras preferably with cat 5 one wire to cameras.Thanks
How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I just put in a Swann POE (power over ethernet) system in my man cave, separate from my primary video surveillance system. It was a little more than your budget but I have been very pleased with it for a value system. I purchase mine through Amazon and not direct from the company, however Swanns website has a lot more systems at a variety of price points.

http://www.swann.com/us/products/security-systems

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
Up to $500
Caribou posted what is likely the best thing going, but it is a bit more than the $500.

Cheaper systems can be had at your local WalMart, Target, Lowes, or Home Depot, and some of them aren't bad for "budget systems." Keep in mind you pretty much "get what you pay for" when it comes to this kind of equipment. Best thing to do if your budget is restricted is to go to one of one of the stores and LOOK at what they have, and TALK to someone there (if you can find an employee who actually knows what the hell he/she is talking about) about your requirements and what system(s) would meet those requirements "within your budget,"

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Thinking about installing a dvr security camera system, anyone have good recommendations. Would like up to 8 cameras preferably with cat 5 one wire to cameras.
Thanks
To provide the most benefit, need to establish a few items:

1) Where will it be used --indoor or exterior?

2) Is night vision required?

3) Remote (motion detector) activation or constant record / time record?

4) Quality of recording?

5) Remote notification?

6) Field of coverage --90 degree, 120 degree, 180 degree?

7)HDD size -- 1 Terabyte, 2TB, 4TB, etc.

8) System mix and match (indoor and exterior) 4 ea or 2 outdoor and 6
interior or what combination required? Price may vary based on number of
exterior vs. number of interior cameras needed.

There are many highly skilled people on this site who can provide a ton of valuable information.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
We're almost done with putting in a Amcrest 960 security system. We chose Amcrest because the support from the company has received excellent reviews. Our challenge has been the buildings are spread out so we had to get 200' cables for most of the cameras which added to the cost. We're pulling wires through pipe and burying the pipe between buildings.

We got one PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) camera as an afterthought and like it so much we wished we would have spent the extra money and done all PTZ.

One lesson we learned was to get a wireless mouse because it's so much easier to use a mouse than a remote. We have wireless remote control extenders (the little pyramid-looking things) to help the radio wave (from the wireless mouse) get from the TV to the DVR so the DVR can be just about anywhere in the house. You don't want the bad guys walking away with your DVR. We chose not to use cloud storage for a lot of reasons so it's important the DVR not be readily or easily accessible.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I installed a Swan 8 camera DVR several years ago, got it at Best Buy, love it.

Has 8 cameras, 1 terabyte drive, low light weatherproof cameras(color day/black n white night).

Dont remember the model number, cost around $500.00 but it was some of the best money I've spent in a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts