Secret BOL Communications

Discussion in 'Communications' started by sailaway, Jan 18, 2010.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Scenario: You have a secret BOL that absolutely no one knows about. You don't want anyone to know where it is either. Your Cell phone has a GPS that tells where you are everytime you make a call. How and what communications devices will you use to contact your family and friends. Will you leave the site and go miles away to use your phone? keep it turned off at the BOL? Do you have a plan to get your family to the BOL without phone use? My kids are scattered around and this is something I must considder for getting us together safely. Or am I just paranoid?:nuts::dunno:

2. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

Easiest answer, MAKE sure your family knows where it is or have a meeting place on the way there, thats the plan we have for my parents, sisters, ect... not only for the fact that new phones have GPS but also i would imagine all line would be flooded anyway and you couldnt make or recieve calls.

3. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

not sure thats a big concern ....whats the theory :dunno: someone or government :confused: will track your location drive, walk, run whatever to see if you have supplies? if you have cell phone service i'm thinking things aren't that bad

I'd be more concerned about some random person stumbling upon it.

4. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

After thinking about this i have something to add maybe some of you don't know that should be more concerning than your cell phone

Go to Google and search your screen name watch what pops up these forums and info are cashed on Google and other servers more importantly your IP address is stored and easily traced back to you. All of what happens on the net like this forum is cashed on servers some of it forever you are not anonymous here.

IF martial law was to happen authorities would have unlimited access to this data they could browse these forums, find members with large reserves, firearms, fuel and trace the IP to the source and show up at your door step. I'm not saying this would happen but this is a reality with the wed today and it's much more likely than tracing your cell phone IMO

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I would hope they are more concerned with the looters and criminals to be worried about a food stockpile.

6. sailaway

Pdx210, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I also think if need be each call you have made can be traced to a particular lattitude and longitude. You can be followed across the country.

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Even if you relied on radio communications, your signal could be triangulated to your location. There are HAM's who enjoy frequency-tracking / triangulating signals, especially "illegal" transmitters.

Its doesn't really matter what we do - we all can be tracked some way by someone. Even out in the furthest reaches, a person could be manually tracked ...

8. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

whats unique here we talk about the reserves we are building and these posts can be traced back to individuals. I don't know if this something to be concerned about but since we're talking about cell phone trace to a bug out here we are. I know the first rule in government is self preservation and the first thing that 's going to happen in a SHTF is martial law, a suspension of constitutional rights no search warrants, no due process and asset confiscation. At some point government will figure out they need supplies you may become the store. they can pull records from stores, fuel suppliers If the servers at Google for example still work they can do the same with the web

9. sailaway

I think it is a very good idea to have stock piled supplies scattered, if some random person does find your BOL they wont find everything. My scenerio about communications at your BOL stems from the possibility you were being hunted the way the Nazi's hunted Jews. How could you hide out and communicate?

10. NaeKid

Hang on a second .. isn't your BOL a floating fortress?

If your BOL is landlocked and your name is on the title of the location where your BOL is - the government already knows where it is. If you can purchase / title your BOL as a corporation or LLC you might be able to slide under the radar for a while.

Now - as for the forums, yes, I have your IP addresses and yes I can reverse-trace you with the right tools. But, by your use of an alias, you are putting another level of hiding from the government. Don't give out too much specific information in the forums and whenever possible put in misleading information without actually lying.

When I talk about my preps, it is usually in fairly general terms and I am expecting that the majority of the members here also talk in general terms. Whenever I talk in specifics, it is due to the nature of the preps (ie: my office-stash) and the fact that they are rotated quickly.

OffGrid living is becoming a little more common-place with our local power company helping people become grid independent (WildMist is going on a seminar next week hosted by the company she works for - the local power company).

11. WildMist

WildMist Active Member

I did go to that seminar and you gotta love working for a company that wants to help you use alternative and sustainable energy. Not only that but I received explicit information on how to build a Net-Zero home.
    The things I learn at my work will help NaeKid and I not only prepare for when the SHTF but build an off-grid home.
    I say this to my boss all the time but she has no idea how much I mean it. I LOVE MY JOB!!! :2thumb:

12. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

You can also get a "burn phone" a simple pre-paid cellular phone from a vending machine or convinence store. These phones work just like a normal cell phone but the do not have the gps chip in them and do not show who they belong to on "records" the best "big brother" can do is show what tower you are "hitting"

13. sailaway

Oldsoldier, I wondered about these, I wasn't sure about the GPS Chip.:scratch

14. sailaway

I wondered about these, I wasn't sure about the GPS Chip.:scratch

15. 101airborne

Most of your cheap phones ( prepaid) in the $20-$40 range don't come with a GPS chip like the "normal" cell phone does. As I posted before the most that can be tracked is the tower you are operating off of and if you limit the length of the call and turn off the phone/remove the battery when not in use many times they can't even get that much.

16. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I only use track phones. But that based more out of the desire to not be in debt for using a phone.

17. 101airborne

Pretty much the same principle. less likely to be trackable.

18. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

If push comes to shove you could use the old cans and string method....but you would have to cut the string and wind up it up before someone trys to follow the string :ignore:

19. 101airborne

Thanks a lot!!! now I've gotta clean pepsi off you computer screen.LOL

20. NaeKid

Breaking news via the AP

I found this article on my WII-news channel and did a Google-search to find it. It was a fairly difficult article to find, so, copy / paste it for you all to see and read. What are your thoughts on this?