Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Survival and Handgun Podcaster
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scriptures that support preparedness:

35"And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. "
- Luke 22:35-36

Context of these verses is Jesus' commanding His disciples to buy a sword so they could provide for their own self defense. Since Jesus told His disciples to teach others what He had taught them (Matt 28:18-20), this principle can be applied by all believers.

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

- 1 Timothy 5:8

Context of this verse is Paul's describing to Timothy how to identify true widows and the parameters for providing for them (financially). The principle of providing for all family members (financial, food, etc) can be drawn out from this verse and applied to all believers.

Many Christians don't believe in saving money, storing food, etc because of God's promise (Matt 6, et al) to provide for the faithful. They are correct in believing that God always provides. They are confused about how. A person might be blessed with enough money to save some beyond expenses and enough food to store extra - yet these times of extra may pass. If he has been a good steward ("Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful." 1 Cor 4:2), then he will be able to provide for himself and others. God provided enough in the good times to cover the good and bad times. Remember how Joseph successfully stored grain for the ensuing famine - he fed himself, Egypt and foreigners with the grain stores. God provided extra in the good years which enabled many to eat in the bad years. God still works providentially today so He may be giving me today (the extra) what I will need for tomorrow.

Pro 20:4 A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.

Pro 21:20 In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.

Pro 27:12 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

Pro 27:18 He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit, and he who looks after his master will be honored.

Pro 27:23 Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds; 24 for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Excellent post. My church is not affiliated with any well known preparedness religions but thankfully my Pastor does preach on prepping once in a while.. He did a whole serious on it about 8 months ago. I know of a few closet preppers in my church.
Our Worship Pastor (senior pastor's son) had an excellent message on money, tithing, giving etc about a month ago. I believe it is online if anyone is interested in the link.
My Pastor has also had someone in to teach a CCW class and he encourages members to get their CCW.
Our church is also set up as a designated Red Cross relief station and they hold regular training meeting at the church for the community.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We have lots of friends and neighbors who go to a particular church nearby who are open-hearted givers, and for that I commend them. But I can't tell you how much it roasts my gonads when, very cautiously, I mention to one of them that perhaps it would be a good idea to put a little food back, or buy a generator, or stock up on some fuel, and they lightheartedly tell me, "the Lord will provide". :mad:

********. The Lord helps those who help themselves.

We, mankind, were born with more that just a brain. We were given a mind. An intellectual presence capable of forward thought. We were created to use it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Horseman09 - ask them what they think God means by proverbs chapter 6:

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Horseman09 - ask them what they think God means by proverbs chapter 6:

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest-
11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man.
Groovymike, these are wellmeaning, sincere people -- many are good friends and neighbors, but they are also verse-pickers. They absorb what fits comfortably in their mind and ignore those passages that conflict. Actually, preachers are real masters at that and they pass it on to the blindly faithful.

On most issues it doesn't matter, I suppose. But regarding being prepared for bad times does matter, because when they get cold and hungry, guess who's door they'll start pounding on?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Verse picking is just plain wrong. These folks REALLY need to read the word for themselves, then they will know the truth regardless of what comes from the pulpit. Wow, maybe the only answer is to start a Bible study so that these folks can see the word in context and read it for themselves not get a verse from one book then another from the next, etc.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There once was a flood and everyone had reached safety except for one man.

He climbed to the top of his house with the water lapping at his feet.

A helicopter flew over his head and hung down a rope for him to climb, but the man was deeply religious and said, “It’s alright! The Lord will save me!”

So the helicopter flew away. The water continued to rise and a boat came to him but, once again, the man shouted, “No! Go AWAY! the Lord will come and save me!” and, once again, the boat sped off.

The water was getting dangerously deep by now so the helicopter came back and, on cue, the man repeated, “I don’t need saving! My Lord will come”

Reluctantly, the helicopter left.

The rain continued to pour, the water continued to rise and the man drowned.

At the gates of heaven, the man met St. Peter. Confused, he asked, “Peter, I have lived the life of a faithful man – why did my Lord not rescue me?”

St. Peter replied, “For pity sake! He sent you two helicopters and a boat!”

:bullit: Sometimes we are so busy being Devout that we fail to see the Divine.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have to agree with Horseman09, most are well meaning, but are verse pickers. They miss the over all picture and will probably be knocking on my door when the SHTF.

I am a solo prepper and my Christian Family loves to tease me and give me a hard time about my lifestyle as they keep living theirs. Their pantries are empty, their bills are barley covered for the month and they only see what they don't have.

I often wonder if I should turn them away at the door or welcome them in and watch my preps be consumed at an accellerated rate. Where do you draw the line, I've only been blessed with only so much. I watch them have a good time while I am prudent with my resources and put off some things I would enjoy for later. Hopefully there are some decisions I will never have to make.:scratch

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Definitely the quote of the day...maybe even the quote of the week:

"It is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

JayJay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.