Scouting Ideas???

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 2bgrand, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 2bgrand

2bgrand Guest

I'm a father of 2, and the younger is in his 2nd year of cub scouts. Back when I was a scout it was about learning manners and survival. Way different than our troop leadership here. Our pack leader is non existant and our den leader no longer has enough time to fullfill his duty to the kids due to job/ economic situation. My wife and I have offered to pick up the slack before there is a mutiny amongst the other parents and we need to get some involvement projects going. I have 2 jeeps in my drive to get us any where, any weather. I have a full arsenal of tools, woodworking shop, everything. My search for "survival related" projects and ideas have led me here.

I have already taken a liking to the film canister fire started thread here, but these kids really need help. I could take a few boards in my shop, make some cuts in an hour, and have birdhouses ready for assembly, but I want it to be more indepth learning than: "Pledge of Allegiance, hammer, hammer, paint, and go home."

The best website I have found for projects is Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY but want more input and guidance for the kids' experience to be both fun and useful. We live in Wisconsin, surrounded by the outdoors, they should learn how to use it.

Please advise.

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

One of the best survival training that you can do with the cub-scouts is to start with "training manuals" from the late 1800's to early 1900's. You can find many of these kinds of books at the library.

I don't know if you have a "Lee Vally Tools" that you can visit or order from, but, I have collected many of their training books that are re-prints of books from the turn of the century. Some of the books include instructions for chopping wood, building fires, cooking over a fire or in a covered dirt-pit.

Some of the things that you would want to teach is how to sew by needle-n-thread (not a sewing machine), how to build shelters out of brush, solar-blanket, duct-tape, rope, snow/ice, how to hike silent (stalking), compass reading. Mix the indoor classroom with the outdoor classroom.

I used to be part of a group called the "Junior Forest Wardens" and I taught several survival specific classes to the kids (no-trace outdoor-skills). Others taught fire-making. Others taught sewing. Others taught first-aid (certified course).

The information is out there - but - I would highly recommend that you don't take on the whole show yourself - it is too much for one person to try to teach/know it all. Delegate out tasks to the other parents and force them to take a leadership role in the group.

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Ask the other parents what they want their kids to learn. They might have some good ideas and they will be able to help or at least give an enthusiastic thumbs up.

I'd try to go for ideas that kids think are "cool." If you can get the kids on your side the kids will come up with ideas as well. In fact you should ask the kids what they want to do. They'll probably have some good ideas too.

4. Homer_Simpson

Homer_Simpson Well-Known Member

First off Welcome.

I'm currently a Assistant Cub Master/WEBELO II leader, next month my oldest bridges into Boy Scouts, I'll be going with him as an adult leader but will also hold one or both of my positions with my youngest. (BTW I'm not too far west of you, only a few counties)

For Cub Scouts remember ages and stages, some of the boys are just not ready to get too in-depth with any type of "Survival" training, but you can throw small things at them, when you get into the later Bear and then into WEBELO program they become more ready to learn these things. I feel that around the Bear level it is a good time to get them going toward this type of instruction. Emergency Preparedness BSA is a good place to start. I've also found information on the FEMA web site for kids FEMA for KIDS Homepage: Education, Schools, Disasters, Games, Teachers, Art, Hurricane. Right now we are in really cold weather, this is a good place to start, talk to the kids about the proper dress for -20, or what to do in bad weather, work from there to what to do if lost (hug a tree) When covering the Outdoorsman with my WEBELO I's last year before doing our required hike, I got them together and showed them my BOB and day pack, I also have a Boy Scout in my Den that serves as the Den Chief, I had him bring his typical day pack when he is out in the woods. I then gave each boy a small "Survival" pack I found at one of our dollar stores, I was surprised when I opened it up the whistle in it was a good one with the match holder, compass and signal mirror in the cap. Our last summer camp I was happy to see each of my guys had their whistles with them.

As far as other activities, BSA puts out a Program Helps book which pretty much takes you though each program, I found that I never followed this program covering items in the books, you will find many craft type activities in the Cub Scout program, I find this to get old and you see kids drifting away from it. Look at the age the Age Appropriate Guidelines Age-Appropriate Guidelines

Training, if you are going to jump in as a leader get as much training as you can, from the Boy Scout training programs that are offered to your own, be it first aid, snowshoe making, etc, attend Round Tables put on by your local council and if you are involved in the Cub Scouts also get to know your Boy Scout people, when your kids are WEBELO age get a Boy Scout as a Den Chief, this help you out with running your den and working on activities.

I'm getting long in my post here, feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss ideas more in depth

5. merlotmaker

merlotmaker Guest

Awesome, good for you, 2bgrand! That is very cool of you and your wife to step up to plate for these kids and the other parents. It takes a good man.

Definitly ask the kids, your son, and the parents. This is also a great place to find some ideas. I'm not much creative but everyone else around here seems to be. Good luck to ya!

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Great going 2bgrand, the world needs more people like you! I am an adult volunteer with the Heart of Ohio Council, I was required to take certain training classes that would enable me to put on programs the the kids would understand and enjoy for their ages. The BSA already has a frame work for program laid out. You just have to fill in the blanks.Talk to your council office, I know they are excited to have you and will help you. Work with the kids on their bobcat, wolf and bear badges. Keep it simple, a survival meal for kids that age would be a utinsilless foil pouch dinner cooked on the coals of a campfire or grill. You might really get into it and stick with this group all the way through their teenage scouting years and watch them become Eagles. Y.I.S. Sailaway:D