Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiny Texas city lays off entire police force - CBS News

(CBS News) As cities and towns across the country trim their budgets, some of them can't even afford some basics anymore - basics such as law enforcement.

The small east Texas city of Alto, population 1,200, is one such place, reports CBS News correspondent Don Teague.

And now, crime is on the rise.

No one knows that better than Charles Barron. He has plenty of time now to care for his cattle. That's because Barron is Alto's police chief, and no longer has a police department to run. The patrol cars are locked in an impound lot. The police station is locked, except when Barron stops in to check the mail.

And all five police officers, including Barron, are unemployed, after the city council cut the police budget to zero......

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Our city has also been cutting police and fire. We are supposedly down 200 officers and they are not hiring fast enough to just replace the ones that retire.

I am usually not one to advocate for police officers -- they might do well to do with less and spend more time going after drug dealers and bank robbers instead of pulling me over for going 42 in a 35 but all that being said when their budgets are cut they still pull folks over for speeding... I dunno... to cut or not to cut police? Its a question for which I have no answer but it is certainly being done where I live.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It's all part of what will happen with hyperinflation. Government at all levels will go bankrupt. There will be no police, fire protection, or any other kinds of government services.

In Oakland there are crimes the police won't respond to:
Oakland Police Announce They Will Not Respond To Burglary, Grand Theft, and Other Crimes « JONATHAN TURLEY

burglary
theft
embezzlement
grand theft
grand theft:dog
identity theft
false information to peace officer
required to register as sex or arson offender
dump waste or offensive matter
discard appliance with lock
loud music
possess forged notes
pass fictitious check
obtain money by false voucher
fraudulent use of access cards
stolen license plate
embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
extortion
attempted extortion
false personification of other
injure telephone/ power line
interfere with power line
unauthorized cable tv connection
vandalism
administer/expose poison to another's

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pontiac is doing the same thing.

Pontiac's financial meltdown gets even worse | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

"...The fresh setbacks more than wipe out $2.2 million the city expects to save next year, after Pontiac police are replaced July 1 by county sheriff's deputies. The change, delayed since January, is possible after Monday's voiding of the city contract with its 11 police dispatchers, who bargained with the city to an impasse, officials said...."

I'm not really against the police force. Only against those individuals who abuse their power. Also, being in the one state that doesn't allow for carrying (concealed or otherwise) I am forced to a degree to rely on the police to keep the MZBs at bay. I really wish our politicians who are so against carrying would be forced to do with out their body guards like the rest of us.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Our city has also been cutting police and fire. We are supposedly down 200 officers and they are not hiring fast enough to just replace the ones that retire.

I am usually not one to advocate for police officers -- they might do well to do with less and spend more time going after drug dealers and bank robbers instead of pulling me over for going 42 in a 35 but all that being said when their budgets are cut they still pull folks over for speeding... I dunno... to cut or not to cut police? Its a question for which I have no answer but it is certainly being done where I live.
We need them for speeding kids,they slowed down my lead foot granddaughter,may have saved her life.Teens feel they are invincible.She has had 3 wrecks,but nothign like paying tickets and insurence to slow one down.

This nation is escalating into third world.It does'nt even look like America anymore .

Without police it will soon be madmax and marchall law will be imposed on us all.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I can only wish the town I live in would cut their police force. That won't happen as they have a real good agreement between the cops who run the ticket scam and the judge who finds the people guilty and collects fines.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I can only wish the town I live in would cut their police force. That won't happen as they have a real good agreement between the cops who run the ticket scam and the judge who finds the people guilty and collects fines.
They now have survalence cameras to keep a watch on us and send us tickets in the mail.We are watched and controlled already and don't even realize it.

·
Banned
399 Posts
They now have survalence cameras to keep a watch on us and send us tickets in the mail.We are watched and controlled already and don't even realize it.
They have the same things in some places around here. The capital city had to remove them when they caught a politician running a signal light with a woman who wasn't his wife. At the time he was running the signal light he was supposed to be out of the country. Guess they caught the wrong person.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Tickets are not a scam. If people were not breaking the law, they would not recieve tickets.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
They have the same things in some places around here. The capital city had to remove them when they caught a politician running a signal light with a woman who wasn't his wife. At the time he was running the signal light he was supposed to be out of the country. Guess they caught the wrong person.
LOL, thanks for the laugh!:congrat: I love it when their spy vs spy turns on them.Use to read the magazine with a picture of Jimmy Carter as a boy on the cover'Mad Magazine '.I think it was Jimmy.:dunno:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Tickets are not a scam. If people were not breaking the law, they would not recieve tickets.
I agree.Also I don't think cops are any worse than the rest of us.But they too are affected by our immoral,imperialistic society.All they see is crime and destruction,no more getting cats out of trees now they just shoot em out.:cry:

·
Banned
399 Posts
The reason it was a scam was the people weren't breaking the law.
They call this town the quarter mile swerve. Cops wait on the major highway going through town for mostly out of state people. When they get within a quarter mile of the out going city limit signs the cops pull them over for swerving. The majority will pay the ticket rather than coming back to traffic court. They usually have 3 cops working the same road. When you top the hill coming into town look for the flashing blue lights. If you don't see them look in your rear view mirror. The cops usually have their next victim in sight when they finish writting their last ticket.

According to the Chief of Police they had to come up with something when they wouldn't allow them to be a speed trap.

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
I work for the Police Department in a large suburb of Houston. I am a dispatcher. For those who think they don't need the police, think about this... we do NOT send EMS or the Fire Department to many calls without police protection. This means, no police= no emergency medical care.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
A little ranting...

Tickets are a scam, because the speed limits are way too low. 55mph on the highway is a joke. If everyone in the DC metro did this, traffic would be waaay worse than it already is.
On a major thouroughfare leading into DC, there are 2 speed cameras in 3 blocks, owned by the 'city' of Chevy Chase, MD. They are not there to protect people, they exist to make money.
I like to drive pretty fast. I have driven on the Autobahn at 125 in a rental car with a governor. I got a ticket in Utah for going 97 in a 75, and the ticket was $200, I almost laughed. Beating the limit by that much here would get you a huge fine, and in VA, maybe 1k for an out of state driver (someone verify this, they changed the laws around recently and it created quite an uproar).
If 'they' were actually more concerned for your safety, every road would have speedbumps. Those cameras generate tons of cash for the municipality, and are split with the camra manufacturer.

Back to cutting the police force.
There are too many laws as it is. Drugs should be legalized. This would save us a ton of money in a hundred ways. The gubt has no right to tell you what you can or cant put in your own body.
If you disagree, then I'll assume you are for prohibition, and think that caffeine and cigarettes should be illegal too. Please explain the differrence.
Just think about how much this costs us. Police, prisons, the ATF, the tons of money we send to Mexico and Columbia to combat drugs. Its a fortune.
For pot its especially silly. Its illegal to own/consume a weed that will grow just about anywhere? The gubt is not your father. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. If you are not hurting ayone, then it is noones business but their own. Anything else smacks of fascism. Period.

Note: I am not an illegal drug user, I just feel pretty strongly about gubt interference in private affairs, and this is a perfect example.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Our town should send all the local cops home for good, you can go thru town almost any night and see the town cop, a trooper and deputy all parked side by side BSing, we have triple coverage while many towns don't have single coverage and we're not a high crime area or even have a bar, just a couple closed up factories and many people looking for a job.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Traffic enforcement measures are in place to discourage people from breaking the law. They establish consequences for actions which have been deemed to violate a law. I am not a big fan of the use of automated citations, either, but I can see their value; no sense in tying up an officer strictly to hand out tickets to morons who can't understand that they need to stop before the light turns red.

As for the issue of the speed limits... the common highway speed limit of 55 mph was established in the 1970's to limit fuel consumption during a fuel shortage and to attempt to reduce highway fatalities in a time when the government was just beginning to regulate minimum safety standards for vehicles. Some people still fail to see the corelation between slowing down and saving fuel, or slowing down and saving lives.

Tickets are a scam, because the speed limits are way too low. 55mph on the highway is a joke. If everyone in the DC metro did this, traffic would be waaay worse than it already is.
On a major thouroughfare leading into DC, there are 2 speed cameras in 3 blocks, owned by the 'city' of Chevy Chase, MD. They are not there to protect people, they exist to make money.
I like to drive pretty fast. I have driven on the Autobahn at 125 in a rental car with a governor. I got a ticket in Utah for going 97 in a 75, and the ticket was $200, I almost laughed. Beating the limit by that much here would get you a huge fine, and in VA, maybe 1k for an out of state driver (someone verify this, they changed the laws around recently and it created quite an uproar).
If 'they' were actually more concerned for your safety, every road would have speedbumps. Those cameras generate tons of cash for the municipality, and are split with the camra manufacturer.

Back to cutting the police force.
There are too many laws as it is. Drugs should be legalized. This would save us a ton of money in a hundred ways. The gubt has no right to tell you what you can or cant put in your own body.
If you disagree, then I'll assume you are for prohibition, and think that caffeine and cigarettes should be illegal too. Please explain the differrence.
Just think about how much this costs us. Police, prisons, the ATF, the tons of money we send to Mexico and Columbia to combat drugs. Its a fortune.
For pot its especially silly. Its illegal to own/consume a weed that will grow just about anywhere? The gubt is not your father. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. If you are not hurting ayone, then it is noones business but their own. Anything else smacks of fascism. Period.

Note: I am not an illegal drug user, I just feel pretty strongly about gubt interference in private affairs, and this is a perfect example.
To address your point about legalizing drugs... To use your mentality, it would be okay for someone to market paint thinner as a baby formula, and no one should attempt to regulate that? There are a number of controlled dangerous substances which have no medicinal use and no positive outcome of their use, yet there are still idiots who choose to put these substances in their bodies. Remember that at one time, mercury was used to treat any number of illnesses; it actually has no medicinal value and only creates new problems. It is for reasons such as this that the government has stepped in and regulated what is and what is not safe for human consumption.

Now, that is not to say that there are some questionable decisions on the part of the government. I have never used any illegal drugs in my life, but I can see the argument for equating marijuana and other similar drugs with alcohol and tobacco. That is an entirely different debate.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I am not a big fan of the use of automated citations, either, but I can see their value; no sense in tying up an officer strictly to hand out tickets to morons who can't understand that they need to stop before the light turns red.
On the subject of automated citations. The biggest part of the fines do not go to the city the violation happened in. It goes to a company that provides the camera, sets the fees and collects the fines. The city does get a very small part of the fine. It is a business, no thought is given to the violation and the danger it might cause. It is a money maker.

In some areas the times on the signal lights are also changed to allow more tickets to be mailed out.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well.... yes and no. The automated cameras are largely in place to discourage criminal activity. When people realize that they are being monitored, either by a camera or by an actual officer, they are more likely to obey the law. This is why one so often sees marked vehicles pulling traffic duty; by maintaining visibility, fewer people violate the law in their presence. Thus, even if a given jurisdiction does not actively make money from the use of cameras, they free up other resources by not having an officer and a $50k patrol vehicle tied up.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Well.... yes and no. The automated cameras are largely in place to discourage criminal activity. When people realize that they are being monitored, either by a camera or by an actual officer, they are more likely to obey the law. This is why one so often sees marked vehicles pulling traffic duty; by maintaining visibility, fewer people violate the law in their presence. Thus, even if a given jurisdiction does not actively make money from the use of cameras, they free up other resources by not having an officer and a $50k patrol vehicle tied up.
In a city near where I live there is a large building down town. It was built by Homeland Secutiry. Inside there are cameras showing all major streets, highways, and most businesses in the city. The cameras are clear enough to count the change a person gets in the drive thru of just about any fast food place. They can check tags on all the main streets.
It is vacant and the door is locked.
If protecting the public was of much importance this building would be manned around the clock. True criminals could be caught. Criminals could be caught on camera and the tapes used to convict.

Every few years some local news channel will do a piece on the locked building and ask why it isn't used. No answers yet. They did take down the signs on the building though.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
"To use your mentality, it would be okay for someone to market paint thinner as a baby formula, and no one should attempt to regulate that? There are a number of controlled dangerous substances which have no medicinal use and no positive outcome of their use, yet there are still idiots who choose to put these substances in their bodies."

I dont know where you got paint thinner as baby formula out of my point.
I did not say "unregulate" I said "legalize". If you ingest a product you know is bad for you, thats your business. I smoke cigarettes. I have noone to blame but myself for the consequences. They obviously contain drugs, carcinogens, and lots of other nasty things that kill people. Should it be legal? Why?

"The automated cameras are largely in place to discourage criminal activity."
Yes, when we are talking about actual 'crime', but not when addressing traffic citations. Red light and speed cameras exist to generate revenue, not to discourage criminal activity.
Around here, the speed cameras are set to give you a ticket over 10 miles above the limit. Why? Because they want to grant us leeway? Because they understand that the limit is rediculously low in the first place? If the limit is the 'law' then you are breaking it going 1 mph over it, no?
I know I'm ranting, sorry, and I'm not trying to attack you Turtle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.