Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm trying to make sauerkraut for the first time. 3 gallon crock with layered shredded cabbage and salt, and surprisingly very little salt in the recipe I have. It says about 2-4 weeks total. It actually creates its own brine liquid as it ferments, draws the water from the cabbage. I'll let you know how it works.
This is among many of the on going food projects, including buttermilk, and the best sourdough starter ever that I got from an old neighbor in the early 70's. She said it was her dads and he had handed it down to her years before, she was in her 80's back then.
She also grew poppies among other plants in her side garden along the street for the beautiful flowers. This is back when I was in law enforcement, and just had a class on illegal drugs and plants. Now for the kicker, the 'poppies' were the oriental opium type:eek:, I asked her where she had gotten the bulbs for these and she told me her dad had brought them back in the 30's from Asia from one of his many trips there.:sssh: Just ramblin'

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Bunker Bob, my cousin just got hired in as CFO at the Snow Floss Sauerkraut factory in Fremont, Oh. if you have any questions let me know I will try to find out.

·
Happy in the hills
449 Posts
We made kraut every year while I was growing up. In Jr High woods shop I made a kraut stomper :) My old man had a couple pickle barrels, one we'd do with caraway seed, and one plain. He'd pick up a load of cabbage, call his buddies, and they'd start shredding the cabbage with my dads homemade kraut cutters. I'd layer the cabbage and the salt, then stomp it down. Once the barrel was full, we'd put a black garbage bag on top, and fill it with water for weight.
I used to head over to the barrel every day and snitch some...mmm. The pita was when it was time to can it...it took forever.
I love sauerkraut, my wife refuses to eat it. Just don't understand her sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the input. As rhrobert said "I love sauerkraut, my wife refuses to eat it. Just don't understand her sometimes" it's the same with us.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I haven't made kraut in years ...:dunno: Somewhere along the line I started making chow chow in its place.

We did have Oct. beans and kraut for supper last night ... after reading your post it sounded good. (and it was :D)

Look forward to hearing how yours works out. :2thumb:

·
Happy in the hills
449 Posts
I think so...lol. It's hard to make my favorite meal when she is home. Pork hocks, sauerkraut, and potato dumplings.
She won't eat my head cheese either, and it would put anything bought in the store to shame.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I hope not. That's my go to product. She would eat it if she had to. She tried some pickled Sausage at my dads house and liked it. She didn't vomit till I told her how old it was. Or maybe it was me eating pickled trotters and making oinking noises? I'd ask but I would suffer for it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
mine loves kraut as much as i do.....so we eat a lot of it. love it with pork steaks baked in the oven, or with good ol' hot dogs and sausage. we fight over the leftovers most of the time. she won't eat sweet kraut when i make it, but thats fine with me..:2thumb: i love sweet things anyways....:p

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
It's just the opposite here. She loves it. I can eat it but it's not my first choice for a meal. Or second, Or third, Or fourth ..... :eek:

·
Registered
348 Posts
As an interesting sidenote, sauerkraut was once a very useful remedy for scurvy in the british navy. That and limes. Thus the term "Limey".

I think it was Captain Cook who forced his crew to eat the stuff all the time but it's been a long while since I learned naval history. So I could be wrong.

·
wanna be prepared
71 Posts
Im sort of a wife and I love the kraut!
I used to care for an old german lady who made it every few months with an old barrrel, salt and a lid..thats it!
YUM!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lacto-fermented foods

For those who have never tried... or perhaps have lost "grandma's" recipe, I have a section on my website that has recipes, methods and pictures, (Sauerkraut; "Kosher" garlic dills; KimChee). It can be found at Free Citizen's Forum :: SAUERKRAUT

Moderator(s) please delete if my link posting is a violation.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
For those who have never tried... or perhaps have lost "grandma's" recipe, I have a section on my website that has recipes, methods and pictures, (Sauerkraut; "Kosher" garlic dills; KimChee). It can be found at Free Citizen's Forum :: SAUERKRAUT

Moderator(s) please delete if my link posting is a violation.
Not a violation, but, if you could copy / paste some of your favorite recipes into our Recipe Share section, it would be very appreciated!

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
A few months ago I read an article that talked about a group of people who live somewhere in Russia or maybe the Ukraine who are some of the healthiest people. It seems they eat lots of fermented food, including kraut. If I can find the article, I will post it.

We ate lots of kraut when I was growing up and we were healthy people. We rarely even got colds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.