Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you mount a safe to a concrete slab? Do they come with holes in the bottom so you can feed bolts through?

·
Registered
159 Posts
It would vary by manufacturer. Size, location, number of holes, etc. Best to contact the manufacturer if you're interested in a certain model, or have the store you plan to buy at look into it for you.

As for mounting to a concrete slab... concrete anchors. Drill holes into the concrete in the appropriate locations, and affix the anchors according to directions...

-tapered sleeve anchors... insert into the hole, pull up to engage the tapered sleeve, then tighten down on the nut to secure into the concrete.
-epoxy anchors... break the glass vials in the holes, insert the threaded rod, mix the epoxy around, let it set.

Concrete anchors are not cheap... we secured our hoist to the concrete pad... 5anchors per side I believe. Well over $500 in anchors.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I highly suggest that if you buy a safe to go the extra step and bolt it down. I've seen some pretty large safes stolen before.

·
Village Curmudgeon
2 Posts
Buy a large, very heavy safe and you won't have to worry about bolting it down. My safe weighs a full ton. If a thief has the means to move that, it's not going to matter whether it's bolted down or not.

-

·
Registered
119 Posts
make sure if you bolt it down its done to manufacturers specs.
i would assume if one is buying a safe it will be fire proof and installing it incorrectly could very well compromise its fire protection abilities..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Noodle - I bolted my safe to a concrete floor and it's easy. A good quality safe will come with a floor bracket and bolts. It can't be fireproof if the bolt holes come right up through the bottom.

You won't need anything extra except for a drill and bit powerful enough to make the holes. Some safes bolt a bracket to the floor which the safe is dropped onto. It then locks into the bracket.

Once it is on you're not getting it off without some serious help. If you plan on moving just include the price of the safe when you sell your place. Otherwise it's time for the hydraulic ram, plasma cutter, etc and a brand new bracket.

I can't think of a good reason to buy a 1 ton safe if you don't need one that size. Just get the size you need and you'll be fine.

·
...despite the fall
38 Posts
Buy a large, very heavy safe and you won't have to worry about bolting it down. My safe weighs a full ton. If a thief has the means to move that, it's not going to matter whether it's bolted down or not.

-
Jacks and wheeled dollies make easy work of a one ton safe. They are remarkably ineffective however against properly anchored safes.

Putting heavy stuff - bags of lead shot for example - in the bottom of the safe helps to a degree but anchoring it to the concrete slab or joists or whatever you have works better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts