Featured S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm

Discussion in 'Guns-N-Bullets' started by Sentry18, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Sentry18

Sentry18 Moderator Staff Member

I have been meaning to write up a quick review for a while now, so here it is.

If you read my other thread I was extremely excited when this gun was announced. I complained to S&W the day the first M&P rolled off the line that they also needed a mid-sized compact model. I then complained to S&W at least annually. It took them 12 years but they finally got it done. The G19 has been Glock's best selling handing since the early 1990's for a reason. Because it is the smallest auto you can have that functions and performs like a full size duty gun. Subcompact versions of duty guns, especially with magazine extensions or sleeves, are much more prone to failure or other unanticipated issues. I have seen many people show up with a G26 or a M&P9C to a combat course only to seem with a G19 or full size M&P on their belt a few days later.

I got mine a couple weeks ago and already have about 600 trouble-free rounds through it. I love this gun. The size is almost perfect. The length of the grip comes just to the bottom of my hand so I can change mags without the risk of the meat of my palm getting in the way. The gun is reasonably balanced but I think if the slide was about 1/4" shorter it would be better. The slide profile is slightly narrower which is nice but does result in some holster compatibility issues. The trigger is much better than the M1.0 but not as nice as Apex or S&W Performance Center. However it is an excellent compromise between the potentially liability (which I don't really buy into) of an aftermarket trigger and a heavy factory stock trigger. Grip texture is very nice and sticky. Should be excellent in wet or adverse environments.

Accuracy is very good for a mid-sized dual role duty/concealment gun. S&W had some minor issues with early models of the original M&P when it came to accuracy, issues that were quickly resolved but not before they became the urband legends of keyboard commandos and forum operators everywhere. The M2.0 Compact shoots under 2" all day long with range ammo. Easily on par or slightly better than my P320C, G19, PPQ M2, FNS9C, XD9, etc. Of course it is not as as accurate as my Performance Center custom M&P with hand fitted Apex barrel.

My new sights just arrived and will go on this weekend. I am not a fan of 3 dots and am quick to turn to the aftermarket when it comes to my irons. For the M2.0 Compact I picked up some Truglo Tritium Pros (not to be confused with their fiber optic sights). The Pros are like the Trijicon HD's without the orange or green ring. They do have black ringed tritium vials in the rear so I get the benefit of proper sight alignment in dark conditions but without 3 dots in brighter conditions.

All said and done the M2.0 Compact is going to be a real winner for Smith & Wesson and they are already selling like hotcakes. My local dealer said he has a waiting list 10 people deep and probably won't be able to put one in the counter for another couple weeks. Make sense as this is the perfect size do all handgun with excellent build quality, incredible ergos and perfect reliability. I will be ordering a second one in November.

[​IMG]

2. havasu

havasu Just a family friend

How much larger are they compared to the Shield?

RedBeard likes this.

3. Sentry18

The Shield and the new M2.0 Shield are small single stacks. These are slightly reduced full size guns with 15 round double stack mags. While a Shield will definitely be slimmer and easier to carry, they tend to run out of ammo quickly. I have a few Shields and a pile of M&P's, each have their own role.

RedBeard likes this.
  4. Sentry18

Just for the record the more I handle this gun, the more dry fire drills I run and the more I shoot it; the more I love it. It actually shoots and handles much like my custom Glock 19 with grip reduction, trigger enhancements and other upgrades. Only the M2.0 Compact was less than half the price and I still like it better. I am going to run it through the 400 round advanced qualifier in a couple weeks and then start carrying it. :cool:

[​IMG]

DrPrepper and phideaux like this.
  5. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Interesting gun. Good Looking too.

Sentry18 likes this.
  6. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

The more I look at it the more I like it.
    Still I do have quite a few handguns already...

Sentry18 and terri9630 like this.
  7. Sentry18

I remain very impressed with this M&P M2.0 Compact. In fact a friend of mine who is also an LEO Firearms Instructor but not a fan of the M&P series just sold off a CZ P10C to purchase one for himself. In his words "S&W definitely got this one right".

When I first bought this gun the trigger was approx. 6.25#, which is a good weight for a gun used for self-defense or duty. It is also more than 1.25# lighter than my first M&P M1.0 was. After I had a few hundred rounds through the gun the trigger felt a touch smoother and lighter but the digital trigger scale still showed around 6.25#. I removed the trigger bar and the safety plunger and did some light polishing before dry firing the gun 200-300 times (as part of my draw practice). I put it to the scale again and am now seeing a 3 pull average in the high 5.95# range, so I am confident it will become smoother and even a touch lighter with more range time and without turning to the aftermarket. For comparison that is approx. 1# more than my Performance Center S&W's. So again the perfect trigger weight for a gun I will carry on and off duty.

demo.png

On a sort of related note, for those of you who own a S&W M1.0 compact (the old version which was really a subcompact) Hyve Technologies is now making their excellent mag extensions for them. They will give you 2 more rounds (so 14 rounds total) and a grip length that is very close to the S&W M2.0 Compact or the Glock 19. What you see here is just a prototype, they will come in back and a variety of colors. Since I have 2 of the old M&P compacts, which have custom barrels and triggers, I will definitely be buying some of these when they are available next week.

demo(1).png

terri9630, Caribou and phideaux like this.
  8. Sentry18

So those Hyve Technologies extension came out today in black, so I ordered a 5 pack of them. I was wrong however about them being +2 extensions, they are +3 extensions in 9mm. So with a factory 12 round mag you would have a full 15 rounds. I am excited about these because my 9C's had all but become retired as they were just too small for my hands. With my M2.0 Compact I don't need them anymore, but now I can use them in other roles and can even let my wife or kids try them out.

Here's another pic of one in the raw.

Hyve Technologies --hyvetechnologies- • Instagram photos and videos 11-17-2017 8-25-13 PM.png

Caribou and terri9630 like this.