Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Partyin' like it's 1699
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone, and sorry for my long absence.

Unfortunately I return with bad news. Our home was broken into last Tuesday. They kicked down the back door, tore it completely off the frame, ransacked the house, stole both televisions and all of my jewelry. We FINALLY closed on our house Jan 5th, and for this to happen so soon after our dream of being homeowners was realized was well, really shi**ty to say the least...

We are having a security system installed, hopefully by next week. My dad is having us come out and try out some of their guns and decide which one we like best.

Many have encouraged us to get a dog, something I would love to do but with three children and a very busy schedule, I cannot properly take care of a dog.

So we'll have the security system and we will be armed....What else can we do that will really make a difference? I wish I could say it won't happen again, but our neighborhood is having a problem with robbery right now and I almost expect a repeat. By the way, these pigs did this in daylight- we know this because my neighbor saw a van pull into our driveway around 11:45am that morning. She did not know we weren't home, and these people were so quick and quiet her dog didn't bark (and he's normally VERY sensitive to people- he still barks at us when he sees us)

Moving is NOT, I repeat NOT an option, and I refuse to allow these idiots to scare us away from my home. I LIKE where I live, I like my neighbors, I like my neighborhood, and I'm not going anywhere. So again, if and when that day comes, what else can we do to protect ourselves and our home, besides what we are already doing now?

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to you! My step niece and her husband were robbed in Warren...not to far from you...in broad daylight as well just a couple days before my dad (her grandpa) passed away. Took their big screen TV and some jewelry and other stuff.

·
Registered
260 Posts
More needed...

Hello again everyone, and sorry for my long absence.

Unfortunately I return with bad news. Our home was broken into last Tuesday. They kicked down the back door, tore it completely off the frame, ransacked the house, stole both televisions and all of my jewelry. We FINALLY closed on our house Jan 5th, and for this to happen so soon after our dream of being homeowners was realized was well, really shi**ty to say the least...

We are having a security system installed, hopefully by next week. My dad is having us come out and try out some of their guns and decide which one we like best.

Many have encouraged us to get a dog, something I would love to do but with three children and a very busy schedule, I cannot properly take care of a dog.

So we'll have the security system and we will be armed....What else can we do that will really make a difference? I wish I could say it won't happen again, but our neighborhood is having a problem with robbery right now and I almost expect a repeat. By the way, these pigs did this in daylight- we know this because my neighbor saw a van pull into our driveway around 11:45am that morning. She did not know we weren't home, and these people were so quick and quiet her dog didn't bark (and he's normally VERY sensitive to people- he still barks at us when he sees us)

Moving is NOT, I repeat NOT an option, and I refuse to allow these idiots to scare us away from my home. I LIKE where I live, I like my neighbors, I like my neighborhood, and I'm not going anywhere. So again, if and when that day comes, what else can we do to protect ourselves and our home, besides what we are already doing now?
Sorry you took a "hit". I worked in the burglar alarm industry for 16 years. All an alarm is good for is to let someone know that a break-in may be occurring. An alarm is only as good as the people monitoring it and the people responding to the alarm. If the alarm is not dispatched on quickly, by either the monitoring central station, or the police and/or fire departments, then you will still be ripe for a smash and grab (aka; a "hit and run" in the alarm industry. I saw a video of a smash and grab at a video store by three thieves. They were in and out in 11 seconds! My recommendations:

1. Replace the door(s) with steel frame, steel-clad units that are dead-bolted and make sure they are securely anchored when installed.

2. Secure the TVs, computers, etc. with anti-theft cables.

3. Consider a small safe for your valuables. They are quite affordable and should be hidden away in a non-obvious spot.

4. Consider installing burglar barriers on the windows, particularly the basement windows.

5. Have the alarm wired up with the loudest sirens and brightest flashing lights that are available. Thieves hate noise and light. You may tick off the neighbors if you are prone to false alarms, but then again, you may be doing them a favor if the baddies are scared away from the neighborhood.

6. Have the alarm system installed by a reputable company. Make sure the equipment installed is grade A and not prone to premature failure. Avoid installers who offer you a low-ball price and do a half-fast installation.

7. Have panic buttons installed, and consider having a remote panic button added (these look and operate just like a garage door opener.) Thieves, especially the doped-up ones, will not let an OCCUPIED house stop them if they are desperate for a fix. Push the button, alert the neighbors, and scare the crap out of the burglars.

8. Have fire and smoke detectors wired into the system.

9. Start a neighborhood watch.

10. Enlist the aid of two friends: Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
well, if you ARE getting a safe and guns (not saying that you are, of course ;) )

bolt the safe down with thunderstuds or thru-bolts

secure the guns/ammo when you are not at home

... otherwise you're just giving criminals an easy target (safe) and an upgrade (firearms)

·
Pincushion
278 Posts
All of the above and good insurance. Better communication with your neighbors. Trade cell phone numbers and call each other if you see something suspicious.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Sorry that you got robbed , I have also heard that theives like to strike twice, thinking that you will replace what they took last time with new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We were at my dads funeral when someone kicked our back door open in broad daylight 8 years ago. They were met by our Organic Theft Detection and Prevention Device. It weights 80 lbs and is powered by raw meat. We thought that it was odd that it was sitting on the front porch when we got home because we had left it locked in the house. It seemed happy to see us and wagged its tail as we unlocked the front door and it followed us into the house. Nothing appeared amiss until we got into the living room and saw that the back door was kicked open and there was a large bloodstain on the living room carpet. Upon further investigation we discovered a blood trail out across the back deck, around the house, and back into the driveway where the trail abruptly ended at some tire burnout marks. Nothing in our house was missing. Our neighbors were not so lucky. They lost guns, cash, jewelry, and their TV on that same day. Reconsider a dog, they pay for themselves in many different ways. They have the ability to detect a break-in, and are on-site to work immediate loss-prevention. Oh yea, they love you too.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
A large dog is the next best thing to being there. It needs to be kept indoors or at least have 24/7 access to the inside of the house. For protection or guard dogs think doberman, rottweiler or German Shepherd.

The biggest problem I have with burgler alarms is that cops tend to ignore them since 90 percent or more are false alarms. In some places they start charging you money to respond if the alarm is false.

The reinforced doors and are a great idea too.

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I would be careful though because they often make a return trip.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
If you have kids I'd think twice about the Doberman or Rottweilers. Despite what some "dog" people will tell you, they can be unpredictable and I wouldn't have one around my own kids or grandkids.

That being said, a dog is a good deterant. OFM, you say with 3 kids and a busy schedule you don't have time to take care of a dog, but really, your kids will keep it entertained a lot, and they can probably help with feeding and watering it, even if it's with your supervision. It can help teach them responsibility as well as expand their frame of reference regarding relationships. Think about it, anyway.

I'm glad no one in your family was hurt. Also glad to hear that you finally closed on the house! You've worked toward that for a long time! Congratulations!

:)

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
What to do now that you have been robbed

I was a Deputy Sheriff . I worked a lot of these. Most victims have some false ideas of how burglars work.

This is how a burglar works.

1. Most burglars prefer to work in the daytime while you are at work.

2. There is usually two of them. One approaches your house and his pardner waits down the street out of sight in the vehicle. He is the lookout.

3. The guy at the house knocks on your door and is ready with a question or a request if you happen to be home. He is just making sure no one is home.

4. They are usually not residents of your community or city. Too much chance a witness will recognize them or know their names.

5. They will usually bypass a house with a burglar alarm , unless they have been there before. Yes, they will come back, they know you have new stuff replaced one month ago by your insurance. They also may know how long it actually will take for the alarm company to dispatch an officer and if your neighbors can actually hear your alarm.

6. They won't be deterred by your dog. They will just feed him, pepper spray him or kill him.

7. Once the burglar breaks into your house, he will remove the phone from the hook if he hasn't already detached it in the phone box on the outside of your house.

8. The next thing he will do is make a quick search through your house to make sure you are not home . He is armed and will not hesitate to shoot you !

9. He will use pillow cases and trash bags to gather up cash , drugs, jewelry and guns that he finds in your home. He will place these in the garage by the door and then he will go for your electronics, ECT placing them by the garage door also.

10. He will then call his pardner and tell him to pick him up.

11. The pardner will back in the drive and he will open the garage door and throw everything in the vehicle. The last thing he will do is close the garage door and off they will go . Your neighbor would only notice the vehicle and have less than a minute tops to react. If at any time during the burglary the pardner sees any thing that leads him to believe someone is on to them, he will call the guy in the house and he will flee on foot to a location where his pardner will pick him up.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO NOW!

1. From now on, when you leave the house, on the floor just inside the door, that you normally use to enter and leave the house, place a Twenty dollar bill in plain sight on the floor. You want it to look like it was accidently dropped on the floor. When you come home, if that bill is not still there, DON"T GO IN ! Call the police he may still be in the house. The most dangerous thing you can do is walk in on him. I don't care if you are armed, he is too and it takes at least Three people to clear a house properly !

2. When you leave home, leave a note on your door for Uncle John, ( not your husband) he may already know where he is . It should say something like "Make your self at home Uncle John, I'll be back soon".

This note is just enough to make the Burglar afraid someone is going to show up unexpectedly. It may send him off to easier pickings.

I hope this helps you !

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
OFM So sorry you had to go through that. I realize it's unrealistic for you but that's why we have 7 dogs. Something you could think about; 2 dogs will keep each other company when your family can't be there all the time. May not be feasible for you but I though I'd throw it out there.

2. When you leave home, leave a note on your door for Uncle John, ( not your husband) he may already know where he is . It should say something like "Make your self at home Uncle John, I'll be back soon"
That's a good one. Never would have thought of that.

GS I have to disagree with you on the rottweiler. Many years ago in a different life, we got a 2yo mixed rottie from the SPCA. At the time the kids were 3, 5, and 9. He was very gentle and tolerant of young children who were not always as gentle with him. :rolleyes: He was well behaved and was very protective of his home. He did not take to strangers well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
More good info...

I was a Deputy Sheriff . I worked a lot of these. Most victims have some false ideas of how burglars work.

5. They will usually bypass a house with a burglar alarm , unless they have been there before. Yes, they will come back, they know you have new stuff replaced one month ago by your insurance. They also may know how long it actually will take for the alarm company to dispatch an officer and if your neighbors can actually hear your alarm.

6. They won't be deterred by your dog. They will just feed him, pepper spray him or kill him.

7. Once the burglar breaks into your house, he will remove the phone from the hook if he hasn't already detached it in the phone box on the outside of your house.
Good stuff from the former Deputy! His point about dispatch time(s) are right on!

Point #7: Have the alarm system wired up a a dual system which will use a telephone dialer to notify the monitoring service, and have it also set up as a LOCAL system. Even if the phone line is compromised, the siren and lights will still sound alerting the neighbors and, hopefully, sending the burglar scum on the way to other pickings. :eek: Remember: Sound and light are your friends in a break-in and are the worst enemies of a thief!

Ditto on the remarks about dogs. But now for a little dog/burglar humor :D :

Late one night, a burglar broke into a house. As he tiptoed through the living room, he heard a voice say: "Jesus is watching you!"

Nothing happened, so the burglar crept forward again. "Jesus is watching you" - said the voice.

The burglar stopped dead in his tracks. He looked around. In a dark corner he spotted a bird cage with a parrot in it.

"Was that you who said Jesus is watching me?" he asked.

"Yes" said the parrot.

The burglar breathed a sigh of relief, then asked the parrot, "What's your name?"

"Clarence" answered the bird. "That's a dumb name for a parrot," sneered the burglar. "What idiot named you Clarence?"

The parrot's answer: "The same idiot who named the Pit Bull, Jesus."

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Home Invasion

Good stuff from the former Deputy! His point about dispatch time(s) are right on!

Point #7: Have the alarm system wired up a a dual system which will use a telephone dialer to notify the monitoring service, and have it also set up as a LOCAL system. Even if the phone line is compromised, the siren and lights will still sound alerting the neighbors and, hopefully, sending the burglar scum on the way to other pickings. :eek: Remember: Sound and light are your friends in a break-in and are the worst enemies of a thief!

Ditto on the remarks about dogs. But now for a little dog/burglar humor :D :

Late one night, a burglar broke into a house. As he tiptoed through the living room, he heard a voice say: "Jesus is watching you!"

Nothing happened, so the burglar crept forward again. "Jesus is watching you" - said the voice.

The burglar stopped dead in his tracks. He looked around. In a dark corner he spotted a bird cage with a parrot in it.

"Was that you who said Jesus is watching me?" he asked.

"Yes" said the parrot.

The burglar breathed a sigh of relief, then asked the parrot, "What's your name?"

"Clarence" answered the bird. "That's a dumb name for a parrot," sneered the burglar. "What idiot named you Clarence?"

The parrot's answer: "The same idiot who named the Pit Bull, Jesus."
LOL on the Pit bull joke, I loved it!

Home invasions occure as a result of the Alarm industry.

If it becomes known that you have money or a large gun collection , anything readly desirable to criminals but you have an alarm system, you may become the target of home invaders. They know that the alarm system is turned off when you are at home and will pick a time that they can catch the whole famiely at home.

They will just charge in like a swat team and takeover. They can make you unlock safes and reveal hiding places where valuables are kept.

What can you do to prevent this?

The first and most obvious thing is reset your alarm system and leave it set on the occupied mode.

The second thing is to keep the doors locked !

The third thing , (if you are able to fight), is to keep a weapon accesable on your person or in reach of the door. I have several spread around the house.

The forth thing is this ,and this is a hard thing to do , but ,if your wife is the one who answers the door and you are in an other part of the house when they force their way in, escape through a window or the back door. If they know someone got away, they will take off. They don't want the police to catch them in the house. If you go to her aid , you will lose and she will get raped or killed.

Remember their game is to catch every one. If they can't catch every one they have to flee!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
If you have an attached-garage with man-door - you will want to place tight-fitting pieces of 2x4 horizontally from the door going away from the door. The more that you can wedge (and screw) into place will keep thieves from using a high-lift jack to pry-open the man-door and gain access to the garage / house.

For the main man-doors to the house, replace wooden doors / door-frames with steel "industrial" grade doors that cannot be kicked in - also make sure to tie the door-frames with the whole-house so that the door-frames cannot be spread-open with the use of a high-lift jack (about 7-tons worth of force can be applied by these tools used for lifting vehicles).

Do not leave any "tools" outside that thieves can use to gain entry to your house. Deck-chairs, ladders, BBQ's, sheds, shovels, rakes, wood-piles, etc can all be used by a thief to either break a window, pry open a door or climb on to gain access through an unsecured window.

Next - make sure that any thing that has street-value is not displayed in such a way that people looking in will be able to see it. If the house has a "run-down" look from the outside, make sure that the inside matches when they peak in the windows. Leave the "junk" visible and the good-stuff away from easy-view.

Oh, as an aside, most thieves believe that everything is insured, so, they think that they aren't hurting "people" ... they think that they are robbing from big-business, so, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
29 Posts

1. Most burglars prefer to work in the daytime while you are at work.

2. There is usually two of them. One approaches your house and his pardner waits down the street out of sight in the vehicle. He is the lookout.

3. The guy at the house knocks on your door and is ready with a question or a request if you happen to be home. He is just making sure no one is home.

4. They are usually not residents of your community or city. Too much chance a witness will recognize them or know their names.

8. The next thing he will do is make a quick search through your house to make sure you are not home . He is armed and will not hesitate to shoot you !

9. He will use pillow cases and trash bags to gather up cash , drugs, jewelry and guns that he finds in your home. He will place these in the garage by the door and then he will go for your electronics, ECT placing them by the garage door also.

10. He will then call his pardner and tell him to pick him up.

11. The pardner will back in the drive and he will open the garage door and throw everything in the vehicle. The last thing he will do is close the garage door and off they will go . Your neighbor would only notice the vehicle and have less than a minute tops to react. If at any time during the burglary the pardner sees any thing that leads him to believe someone is on to them, he will call the guy in the house and he will flee on foot to a location where his pardner will pick him up.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO NOW!

1. From now on, when you leave the house, on the floor just inside the door, that you normally use to enter and leave the house, place a Twenty dollar bill in plain sight on the floor. You want it to look like it was accidently dropped on the floor. When you come home, if that bill is not still there, DON"T GO IN ! Call the police he may still be in the house. The most dangerous thing you can do is walk in on him. I don't care if you are armed, he is too and it takes at least Three people to clear a house properly !

2. When you leave home, leave a note on your door for Uncle John, ( not your husband) he may already know where he is . It should say something like "Make your self at home Uncle John, I'll be back soon".

This note is just enough to make the Burglar afraid someone is going to show up unexpectedly. It may send him off to easier pickings.

I hope this helps you !
I would like to point out that they were deterred by my dog. I guess you just have to have the right kind of dog.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Or the right kind of Burglar
The right kind of burgler is the crux of the issue isn't it? If someone is really determined to get your stuff the only way to stop them is to get them locked up or kill them. There've been a lot of good ideas mentioned but again, none of them are guaranteed to stop a burgler who is determined and prepared. About all we can do is make life as difficult for the burgler as we can. That may be an alarm system, notes on the door or maybe even a good dog but it's probably best to incorporate as many of these ideas as possible. Who knows which will be the proverbial "straw" that breaks the burgler's resolve?

·
Registered
260 Posts
What timing!

Next - make sure that any thing that has street-value is not displayed in such a way that people looking in will be able to see it. If the house has a "run-down" look from the outside, make sure that the inside matches when they peak in the windows. Leave the "junk" visible and the good-stuff away from easy-view.
Interesting that in the last 2 days a member of my congregation located in Cranston, RI (located just south of Providence), and the Mayor of the City of Cranston both had their vehicles broken into. My friend had left her bag containing her wallet, ID, $$$, etc., along with a portable DVD player and cell phone on the seat, forgetting to lock the stuff in the trunk before attending the meeting. Fortunately, the bank contacted her about suspicious activity on her credit card and she had them "kill it" before any great loss occurred.

The Mayor, Mr. Fung, had left his car unlocked and had his legal bar association ID card(s), A Dunkin' Donuts $10 gift card and about $12 of loose change taken. Dunkin' Donuts later reported that the card had been used, but could not identify at which location.

As NaeKid suggests, don't leave any valuables in sight. Lock it in the trunk, or take it with you

If you really want to discourage a thief from breaking into you vehicle, take a clean Pamper diaper and spread some Nutella Spread on it. Leave it visible on the seat of the car. NO ONE will bother the car. :eek:
------------
Hey NaeKid...As I am typing this, we are experiencing the 3rd Northeaster in 4 weeks, and after freezing our butts off with below Zero temperatures this week, we are about to receive another foot of snow. Can I forward all the snow and future storms to you guys up in Canada? I hear that you look forward to the stuff! :D

The Official Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart

50° Fahrenheit (10° C)
• New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
• Canadians plant gardens.

40° Fahrenheit (4.4° C)
• Californians shiver uncontrollably.
• Canadians Sunbathe.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)
• Italian Cars won't start
• Canadians drive with the windows down

32° Fahrenheit (0 ° C)
• Distilled water freezes
• Canadian water get thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)
• New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
• Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-40° Fahrenheit (-40° C)
• Hollywood disintegrates.
• Canadians rent some videos.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C)
• Mt. St. Helens freezes.
• Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C)
• Ethyl alcohol Freezes.
• Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-460° Fahrenheit (-273° C)
• Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
• Canadians start saying "cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)
• Hell freezes over.
• The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

Let's hear for our friends to the North...always good sports and able to take, as well as give back, a good joke! :2thumb::beercheer::D

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)
• Italian Cars won't start
• Canadians drive with the windows down

32° Fahrenheit (0 ° C)
• Distilled water freezes
• Canadian water get thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)
• New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
• Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-40° Fahrenheit (-40° C)
• Hollywood disintegrates.
• Canadians rent some videos.
Those temperatures are almost right. When it gets to the -20°C mark, that's when I think about wearin' pants instead of just my shorts, tank-top and sandles and when it gets to -40°C is when my BBQ takes just a little longer to cook up my burgers. I am a year-round BBQ'er like many other Calgarians ...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts