Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're heading out tomorrow in our uhaul-camper, to southern California for the Dirt Time primitive skills and self-reliance camp-out. We're teaching at it this year. It's north of San Bernadino in the mountains up there. It runs from Sunday through Friday next week, and we have to be there this Saturday.

We'll have our laptop computers and while we're on the road we can leech wifi at places like McDonalds. There's no wifi up where the camp-out is, so there'll be about 6 days we won't be on here at all. But I'll write up a report with pictures like I did last year and posted (with naekid's wonderful help!) on the fiction/non-fiction section.

I'm excited about all the things we're going to learn this year. Some of the teachers there this year include Dave Canterbury from "Dual Survivor" (TV show).

*Bounce, bounce, bounce* That's me, looking forward to the whole thing, the trip and the camp-out! :D

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Hope you have a great time and I can't wait to hear all about it!!! :2thumb:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a trip. Enjoy yourselves and stay safe, and try to get a pic of Dave Canturbury with you guys. I like that show.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Some of the teachers there this year include Dave Canterbury from "Dual Survivor" (TV show).
isn't it his girlfriend :eek: ;) :p , Cody Lundeen, that's the primitive skills expert?

Tell Dave that Ohio is wetter than ever, even the groundhogs are buying sump pumps

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell Dave that Ohio is wetter than ever, even the groundhogs are buying sump pumps
I'll do that! And Jason, I'll get that picture, as well as several from his classes. Then I'll email you one that you can photo-shop yourself into! :D jk

I'll take lots of notes and pictures, then write it up afterward. I'll do my best to be able to share what we learn, with all of you.

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. This is one of the most awesome events a prepper can attend!

:wave:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Poor Harley! :cry: We'll cry for you! :D Wish you guys were going to be there too. We need to throw a Prepared Society camp-out and have classes and stuff some time, somewhere!
GS, I think a great place to have a PS campout would be, ohhh, let's see......where should it be, hmmmm. I got it! Pennsylvania! :D

Here's wishing you and MMM a great trip and a great time.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Sounds like a fine idea, Horseman. :)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
GS, I think a great place to have a PS campout would be, ohhh, let's see......where should it be, hmmmm. I got it! Pennsylvania! :D
Sounds like you're offering up your place to host. :D

I'm thinking sometime in late August, early September. There should be lots of "fresh from the garden" produce. We'll bring a bushel of corn and a big basket of tomatoes. Peaches and pears should be ready and I still have lots of applesauce from last fall. How about 10-12 dozen eggs for cooking over the open fire in cast iron skillets for breakfast. Don't worry, if you don't have enough cast iron, we can bring those too. We have lots.

Ya still with me? :eek: ;) :D

Oh yeah... You and MMM have a great trip GS

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
So do I need to start looking for someone to milk for me? ... :D
Well sure. You're bringing some of that nice warm wool stuff you make; in case it gets cold early this year. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hmm. Ya know what? That might work! Early - mid September, a prepper git-together weekend. We have a lower field, a porta-pottie, lots of wood for a big old fire.

Let's give that some thought and see if we can't make that happen.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Have a great trip and I'll be happy to turn the report into a .pdf for you to post up ...

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, naekid. After I get home and get it all organized and the pictures labeled I'll send it to you!

I think the prepper get-together sounds awesome, and Pennsylvania is a great place to have it! Count us in! :D

We're at a McDonalds just east of Portland, Oregon right now, leeching wifi. We're going to push on through Portland so we don't have to fight the traffic in the morning...unless fighting sleep becomes a bigger obstacle!

We've been on the road 16 1/2 hours today and we're pretty numb! Cool to be traveling with our uhaul-camper. These ice cream sundaes are the first food we've bought today. We made all our meals in the camper at rest areas. Nice to do so when it's warm (in the 80s) instead of the teens like when we headed down to Nevada in February!

Catch you all later!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We've just been sprung loose from the "Dirt Time" campout, and we stopped at the first McDonald's we came to, to use the internet! It was a GREAT week, I can't wait to tell you all about it. We learned a lot and spent a lot of time talking to fellow preppers, and it's just been really awesome!

Jason, Dave Canterbury didn't show, but he sent one of his top trainers, Steve "Critter" Davis, to teach in his place. Bummer, but Critter was a blast, so it was all good.

Lot of people connected to what they call "the entertainment industry" there this week, and we got interviewed for a podcast right before we left today. When I get the info/link for when it'll play, I'll post it.

Sure missed talking to all of you this past several days! We're headed north now and expect to be home some time late Sunday night. We'll check in from time to time on the road at places like McDonalds.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
GS & MMM, glad you had a great time. We're sure looking forward to hearing about your week.

Ahhhh, just so ya know......you're not fooling us. The real reason you stop at McDonalds is for a Big Mac.:sssh:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big mac? *faint* It's the ice cream, as in: hot fudge sundae! We're in Lovelock, Nevada right now putting down another one and using their wifi! Except MMM had the strawberry sundae today (traitor!).

Long drive home, chugging along in our uhaul-camper, which is like driving a tank! :D Nice to be able to stop and pillage through our own food for snacks and sleep in "our own" bed at night, though! The insulation has been great. Crossing the desert at around 100 degrees it stayed halfway-bearable back there. Oh, by the way, there's no air conditioning, so we've been windblown with 100-degree hot air while we drive, and ...what, close to zero percent humidity? We've been chugging water and tea by the gallons!

Southern California has a lot of useful wild plants. Needless to say I'm hauling home quite a cache of foraged stuff! Central California (eastern Sierras) has some pretty mountains. Mostly we've been crossing desert, though. By tonight we should be in Idaho and lush green forests. Still hope to be home tomorrow night.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, we dragged ourselves across Idaho today, going up a back road all the way across, along a stream in a canyon going 35 to 45 mph. It's 89 degrees and we had to have the windows open (no air conditioner) and we're dried out, dry-eyed, and fried! Still 300 miles to home but we're in Montana now. South of Missoula in the Bitterroot mountains.

It's a little after 6 PM, so I'm not sure we'll push on home or stop somewhere and sleep. I'd sure rather not spend another night in the uhaul-camper, but...I dunno!

This seems like the trip that never ends. Long...long...long...

Edit: MMM looked at my post and mournfully asked "is it 300 miles?", and I added it up again and it's 230! Yay, that feels better! The 300 was from our last gas stop and I hadn't updated my brain! This uhaul-camper has a maximum range of 150 miles between gas stations, and sometimes here in the west that's not possible, so a couple stops might be closer so we can stretch another gas stop. My brain is too tired to think about this any more! Onward! I want to go home!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts