Reusable Canning Lids

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by UncleJoe, Apr 26, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

2. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks UncleJoe. :)

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Good idea, anything for reuse instead of throwing away the lids as before. I just hated to throw those out, always temped to try and reuse those regular lids.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I've never reused lids but I don't throw them away either. I have a box for used wide mouth and one for regular. Just in case a time comes when new ones are not readily available.
    I'm going to talk to a couple friends and see if they want to go together and make a large purchase.

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Being in the metals industry, it has always irritated me to throw anything made of metal in the trash. I definately put it in the recycling bin. I would be concerned about reusing lids.:dunno:

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

My mom had a hard time finding canning lids once ... after that she would always pick up a few each time she went to the store. It is a habit for me now ... :flower:

8. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We order them by the case. If lids have a little age we just boil them longer before using them. Might work to re-use them also. If you're out of lids and can't get more I would boil them longer and try re-using them. If some of them don't seal just try again with another lid or eat the contents immediately. They'll either work (and seal) or they won't. Either way you'll know right away.

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this product, say's they've been around since the 70's...We will be getting some!

As for the old lids, they make great covers for knot holes that allow mice to get in...targets on a stump !! haah... and they serve well for just being a lid on something that don't need to be sealed... like pickle jars full of sugar etc...I used 2 together one time for a large washer...it worked...

I agree, I have trouble tossing them...