Rescue Missions

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Al-Thi'b, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Al-Thi'b

Al-Thi'b مسلم Member

Given something awful happened and everything shut down in your area, civil services, food, water, etc. Basic major disaster. Would you go out and try to help anyone or possibly bring anyone back and share your stash with them? Or would you just wait it out with a "every man for himself" point of view?

Me personally I would make regular "patrols" on horse back(saves on gas) looking for survivors or others stranded/sick/near death unfortunate individuals, unless of course its a infectious disease or the area is radioactive. Given I can take care of another individual or whether or not they're capable of working I would bring them back with me and allow them a share in the storage since there is power in numbers, those extra hands will make farming a little easier down the road if society is never restored. More especially it helps to have more people if you're regularly encountering would-be armed raiding looters.

I await your replies :D

Salaam

2. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

depends in the situation short term floor, fire i would help a stranger a large system meltdown, food, utility, economic collapse NO way in Hell.

it took less than 72 Hours after Katrina for people to riot, rob, rape and murder
    what are you bringing into your fold ? what if you bring psycho, criminal what if the first chance they get they put a knife in your back or a bullet in your head? Even otherwise normal people are capable of horrible things given the right conditions.

in short strangers no family & friends yes.

3. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

I would also not be likely to take in a stranger. Too many nut jobs out there that might seem right in the head at first. Given a little time and what they see you have, they will want it all for themselves.

4. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Going on patrols would make you too big a target. If I went anywhere, I would only go to check on my relatives who live 10, 15, and 20 miles away respectively. The others are on their own. I might check on family friends along the way.

Perfect strangers are on their own. It's not worth the time and risk of stopping to help them.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. No strangers here at the house. Helping someone away from our home with whatever I happen to be carrying at the time; Probably. But cautiously.

6. PragmaticWorm

PragmaticWorm Member

I guess I will be the odd man out here. I would help all as much as I can, even to my own detriment. Compassion is something I will never lose. Although I suppose, given the situation, caution will become more necessary.

7. Al-Thi'b

Al-Thi'b مسلم Member

Yeah seems strange but I'd rather take the chance of dieing helping others than die locked in a bunker trying to save only myself. I can understand where others are coming from though that say they would not help others or only family members or friends if they did help at all. To each his own.

And yes it would make me a target, but I will need to go out to hunt animals for food and check property since we have a lot of land to guard from looting so I will be out there anyway especially making sure the pond isn't being fished. Besides the small community that lives out this way, though I don't know each and everyone of them personally I see these people all the time at the local gas station, etc. But if it came down to me being the only thing that stands between them and starving to death or being murdered by looters, then IMO risk is worth it.

8. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

I think this is more of a case-by-case scenario, but I would imagine if you had a family or people to protect it would be more logical to be extremely cautious about strangers. Especially if it's not a total nationwide meltdown. The thought of days without help, but that law would eventually return, would mean looting, and general lawlessness, would be much more rampant.

But even with a family I don't think it would be wise in the long run to never allow outside contact. You'd kill each other first, or there'd be some sort of power struggle eventually.

I would say the best way to prevent tragedies would be to include your friends in planning for future scenarios, that way instead of having them living off your cache they will have their own and be less of a burden. In that sense I would think something similar to a neighborhood watch would be most effective....

hmm, I'm thinking about Naekid's post-fire poster and wondering if something similar could be achieved for these ends

9. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We plan on having most of our kids and their spouses (10) and grandkids (4) and maybe a few others (4 - 8) here with us (2). I would probably not go looking for others to help but we will be having patrols and recons going on. If they seem to be no threat contact could be made and assistance provided to a point. They would not have access to much info just in case they were on a recon of their own. Our "neighborhood" has enough people who will probably need some help as it is and we won't be helping others to an extent that puts our family at risk.

We do have a neighborhood MAG/watch outlined already so our whole area will be pretty well covered and there are plans set up to help non-threatening victims to whatever extent our resources will allow. It's possible that the right person/people could be an asset too.

It will mostly depend upon the immediate circumstances and long range prognosis.

10. Al-Thi'b

Al-Thi'b مسلم Member

All make good points, I agree about the threat idea which is why if I did take someone or more than one individual in, they of course will not be allowed in with a weapon of any kind. They like everyone else would know NOTHING about my stash either, so if they did change their mind on being friendly they don't know what all they can steal nor can they tell other non-friendlies about it later down the road after they've been run off.

Obviously I wouldn't be arrogant with it like allowing 5 teenagers in with automatic weapons with my resources in plain sight. And would take on no more than could be supported unless its someone in a direct life threatening situation ie(bleeding to death, being attacked, etc.)

11. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

I've helped during other, minor disasters. I'd probably do the same in similar circumstances. I'm limited to what I can do now, so that would affect just how much help I could provide.

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

It'd depend on the situation. The big blizzard in February gavve me a good feeling about the area we live in, actually. We were without power for a solid week. People were taking shifts with shared generators, digging out public roads with privately owned equipment with no expectation of reimbursement, and going out of their way to help others in need. We didn't have any through travellers and there isn't much out here to loot (at least not if you're hand carrying the goods) but the locals all did right by each other, as far as I know.

As a more direct answer to the OP, I'd probably share a can of green beans or something if somebody truly needed it, but my home is for family only. We have worked too hard to get what we have to be bludgeoned in our sleep.