Reminder to turn the clocks back Sat night and change your smoke detector batteries

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 5, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Sat night, when you go to bed, move your clock back! We get an extra hour's worth of sleep!

FEMA: FEMA Encourages Americans to Be Prepared As They Turn Their Clocks Back

Fall back, Spring forward.

When I worked graveyard, we were fortunate in that we received an hour's worth of overtime in the Fall, and got paid for the full night in the Spring.

One odd thing I noticed was we'd very few show up late when the clock moved forward, but we'd have some folks running late when they had an extra hour. I guess it was the mindset of having more time.

2. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

With a new company this is my 48 hr week lets see how they pay ???? :(

3. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

that's a long night at work if they don't pay the overtime!

4. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Turning my clocks back is OK, but what a pain in the butt turning my sundial back one hour. :rolleyes: :D

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

S'posed to rain here today. How do you adjust a sundial when the sun's not out?

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

A sundial is accurate to the sun, not to the digital clock.

The earth's travel around the sun is eliptical in nature and the clock to tell time is circular in nature. The clock will "balance-out" time where-as the sundial will tell true time. Did you know that there can be upto 16 minutes difference between what a sundial shows and what the clock shows even if it was setup "right" at the beginning?? (can you hear your bosses complain about you being 16 minutes late to punch in the time-card and you tell them that the sun-dial is more accurate so you will be working your 8hr shift based on the sundial and not their punch-clock).

Now, with that being said, the earth spins 360° in one 24hr period. If you do the "quick math" of 360° divided by the 24hrs you get 15° of travel in one hour. If your sundial is correctly aligned with true north (not magnetic north) it will always be accurate and you should be adjusting your clock to match. :nuts: If you wish to twist the dial to match a digital clock, you only need to rotate the dial that 15° ... to bring it in sync with digital.

7. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

And DST is helpfull how?? , just one more sheeple control:nuts:
    and for the stupid morons who started it anyway it would make more sense in winter:gaah:

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Ben Franklin proposed it to save candles, and get more out of a work day.

9. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Just as stupid then as it is now ..:gaah: you want more daylight hours get you a** out of bed earlier don't need some buerocrat to tell you sheeple sh*t started a long time ago

10. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

But I work nights ??????

11. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

I am turning mine back to when I was 30.