Religious Affiliation...

Discussion in 'Religion' started by FreeNihilist, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Christianity

41 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Islam

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Non-Religious

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Hinduism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Primal/Indigenous

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Chinese Traditional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Buddhism

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Sikhism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Judaism

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Other (Please Specify)

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

I was just curious as to the religious make up of these forums so I decided to start a poll on the subject. So far my impression is that it is largely christian with a couple pagans as that is all Ive seen discussed during my time here so far. The poll is anonymous, so everyone's votes will not be revealed publicly. Those who wish to can share their beliefs or elaborate below.

Christianity, I define as the belief in Christ, regardless of denomination.

Non-Religious covers, agnostics, atheists, secular humanist, etc.

Paganism is in the other category simply because the poll only has ten options and I listed the top 9 major world religions plus other. Paganism is out ranked by Judaism (14 million) vs Paganism (1 million) so its purely a statistical choice.

2. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Im about tired of all this religion talk......

3. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

What is Primal/Indigenous? Oh and not that anyone cares, but I am Asatru, which is a Pagan religion.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  4. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Shootin from the hip MN, but i'd say somthin like the Aberriganies in Austraila would qualify in that group.

5. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I liked it better when you talked about Chlorine Bleach. Now I'm bored.......

EDITED---yeah I was a little rude--oops sorry!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I'm kind of intrigued by the religious talk, and I'm certainly not overly religious. I still like the talks and debates, as long as they don't heat up. All you gotta do if you don't want to read about it is not click on the applicable links.

7. FreeNihilist

Primal/Indigenous would be tribal beliefs in general that are localized to specific tribes. Aboriginal beliefs would fit under that category indeed.

I simply wanted to get a feel for this community and get to know it a little better, not really trying to entertain anyone nor debate anything. I think it's good to understand where people are coming from and how diverse this community is and yet we can all still find common ground on which to stand and share our beliefs and ways. I find it very intriguing personally.

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

While I firmly believe that all religion should be "don't ask, don't tell" and especially Don't tell.
    I am a Wiccan-- do not confuse this with pagans.

9. FreeNihilist

Many people Ive known feel Dont ask Dont tell is best regarding religion but I feel that it just promotes ignorance. I'd prefer that people are aware of just how many religious backgrounds they come into contact with everyday to dispel stereotypes and preconceived notions. To be able to see that certain religions are not harmful nor are it's adherents.

I am aware of the difference between Pagan paths and the various wiccan paths as well as wicca in general. I am actually very well versed in most major religions and philosophies.

Im sure that you're being a wiccan has led to the dont ask dont tell mindset in some ways as the reaction to any sort of witchcraft or nature worship per se is not usually well received, especially by many in the christian sect of religion.

Even philosophies are subjected to hatred, ignorance and stereotypes such as various forms of anarchism, nihilism, and other less well known ideologies.

10. Asatrur

Ain't that the truth!

11. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Let's look at it this way. Most everbody round here fer the most part, get along with each other. We have different life styles an come from different places an yup we got different religous beleifs. Yet we manage ta be civil an share experience not only on prepps but some of us share our lives ta a extent here.

So, if this varied group a individuals can get along here, why can't it happen everwher? I think this be a perty interestin post myself.

12. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I'm in the don't ask don't tell camp too.

13. FreeNihilist

I just realized I failed to mention my orientation in regards to religion. For the record, I am an atheist. More specifically for those who didnt see my intro post I am a Moral and Existential Nihilist in regards to personal philsophy/ideology.

14. humanoddity

humanoddity New Member

I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking...why would you be Wiccan yet not consider yourself a Pagan? Isn't Pagan generally considered the "umbrella" term? Like Witches, Wiccans, Druids, Hellenistics, Dianics...I thought they were all considered of Pagan origin?

Again, I ask this in TOTAL respect. I'm just curious. :)

15. Asatrur

I can answer for me, but Emerald's feeling may differ. I agree that for me Pagan is like Christianity in that it covers all sects of the religion i.e. Baptists, etc. I also know some Christians and followers of Pagan/natural type religions do not like to be lumped into a general name like Pagan or Christian.

I for one have no issue with being called a Pagan, though I am more truly a Heathen or Asatrur or one who honors and believes in the Norse gods.

16. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden New Member

Just throw in some Faith!

I see a lot of topics on preparedness here and I love what I am reading. People caring about others and sharing information. Life is about relationships.

I am not here to browbeat. I am just curious about people's Faith. It is a personal question, I know. It can get heated, I know. I also know that without some Faith put on a solid foundation, it seems that all preparations and plans go awry.

I feel we are at a time in history where we are going to have to dig deep. It is going to hurt a bit. Creature comforts we grew up with might not be there tomorrow. But we as humans have a drive inside to survive and be free.

Just throwing this out there. Just want to be able to talk openly and honestly.

Semper Fi!

Geo

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

If I must put myself in a 'place' ... I would say pagan ... but to be honest that does not 'hit' my Faith ... just so you know . ;)

smiles .............

18. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I don't care to be called Pagan as it implies that what I believe in is wrong and animalistic/backwards etc.
    The very definition is appalling.
    1. An adherent of a polytheistic religion in antiquity, especially when viewed in contrast to an adherent of a monotheistic religion.
    2. A Neopagan.
    3. Offensive
    a. One who has no religion.
    b. An adherent of a religion other than Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.
    4. A hedonist.
    as a noun--
    Noun 1. pagan- a person who does not acknowledge your god

I don't mind people asking my religion but I do mind the close minded folks who blather on and on about how wrong I am and how I should be made to change my mind about what I believe in and "come to my senses and conform".
    Having been beaten quite severely over my choice of religion by someone I thought loved me but was told to "not suffer a witch to live" sure showed me how christian folks can be.
    While I do try not to paint all of the folks who believe in the bible with the same brush it does become rather hard to do some times.
    Many folks know what I believe in and while I don't belong to any formal groups of other Wiccans I do know many in my area.
    So when I say Don't tell I just mean that it would be nice if some folks would "Keep it to themselves" sometimes. Our local door to door bible thumpers must take great delight in having to knock on my door a few times a year. This last year they even sent only their children to "tell me the good news".. :rolleyes:

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

All I can say is hugs to you!

20. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Yeah really. You've always got friends here, Emerald. I honestly don't know what I believe, but I tend to lean more towards the Earth based beliefs than anything else. Out in nature=peaceful, serene
    in most churches=stuffy and uncomfortable

That's just my opinion and I'm not saying everyone needs to agree with me.

I just wonder what would happen if people like us would walk around door to door handing out pentacles and non traditional literature.