Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been brainstorming ideas for reducing the chance of an apartment burglary. Most of my ideas center around keeping a low profile and using appliance timers intelligently:

Tips to Avoid An Apartment Burglary

With so many people having to travel for the holidays, does anyone have any more good ideas for avoiding an apartment burglary?
 

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
There isn't much that a person can do to avoid having their place broken into - if someone wants in, they will find a way to get in. With that being said - noise-makers might be the best thing to keep potential problems away (even more than lights).

Put an old fashioned store "bell" above the door - when the door opens, the bell rings (Shopkeeper Bell Jingle Type Bell for door entry door chime) - have an old "tinney" sounding radio (cheap dollar store style) tuned into the local all-talk-radio-station to make it sound like there is someone in the place listening to all the happenings in the local area. Or you could setup a base-station CB-radio in the apartment / house and tune it into the local "truckers channel" so that lots of random voices are heard.

Whatever you can do to make someone putting their ear to the door (window) to think that there is something alive in there will probably cause 90% of the potential problems to continue on their way. The other 10% would be those who have serious mental issues and wouldn't care if there was someone in the house or not.
 

·
a dude
Joined
·
654 Posts
Selection of the apartment location can make an amazing difference.

Sometimes even fifty meters can make a difference. Quite a while ago, during a short period, both a friend of mine and I got apartments within the same complex. No problems, I even foolishly had a lower floor apartment then. He'd no problems, but his unit was on the fringes.

One night an excited, frantic young woman comes banging on his door. She and a friend traveled to where they thought a friend lived, in an nearby apartment complex and they knocked on the wrong door. The guy grabbed her friend, slammed the door shut and set about sexually assaulting the other girl, just like that. Well, that complex didn't do back ground checks and that's what sort of vermin they got. The Cops had and still have an incredibly fast response time there, (another thing to check) but the girl still had a rough time.

Generally, I consider apartments bad.

Too many people.
 

·
performing monkey
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
place proper length dowel rods in the tracks of all sliding doors/windows

get an 'open circuit' alarm that goes off if the leads are cut & won't shut off until the power is removed, it can be hooked up to flashing lights or a recording informing the would-be-thief that the authorities have been notified

get an actual security service

don't live in an apartment if you can help it... (my favorite) ;)
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top