Recent Earthquakes: Are You Prepared?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by IrritatedWithUS, Mar 11, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

FRIDAY: An 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Japan early Friday, triggering tsunami warnings and sending people fleeing out of buildings in the capital. All of Asia, Russia, and Hawaii are under a tsunami watch with up to 50ft waves. It is unclear if the Western U.S. will be affected at this moment. Currently, Japan is being hit by the tsunami as we speak (10:45pm Pacific)

Washington is highly associated with Japan and our “sister cities” are scattered across Japan. We have news stations based in Japan as well. We just witnessed live on TV via our news helicopters a tsunami that ENGULFED cars on a road, bursting through a huge silo-typed structure which what looked to be oil and the black water completely engulfed what looked like several miles of farm land and I can see houses in the distance on fire.

JUST IN: Portland State University said the west coast of Washington and Oregon are under a tsunami watch. Also said this is the 7th strongest earthquake on record.
    =====================================================
    THURSDAY: The death toll from Thursday's earthquake in southwest China is at least 25, with more than 250 injured, according to the ministry of civil affairs.
    The 5.4-magnitude earthquake hit near the border with Myanmar, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
    WEDNESDAY: An 7.9-magnitude earthquake hit Japan
    New Guinea had a 6.6-magnitude earthquake as well
    Also this week, Washington State has had 4 notable earthquakes this week as well as Oregon, California, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. And we can’t forget about the February 21st earthquake in New Zealand.
    This definitely makes you think. Do you guys ‘n gals have earthquake preparations for themselves in case this happens in your area? I do as I live in Washington and have been in quite a few earthquakes myself.
    Does anyone have any cool/unusual things in their supplies they would like to talk about?

I’m slack-jawed on this live footage of Japan right now.
    This is a calling to anyone who isn’t prepared for earthquakes to GET PREPARED​

2. IrritatedWithUS

Update: The earthquake has been updated to a 8.9-magnitude and has had 5 7.0+-magnitude aftershocks within an hour since the quake happened (11:10pm Pacific US)
    Trading markets in Japan has been shut down

Sendai, Japan's airport has been wiped out. People were evacuated and are currently on the roof the the airport

tsunami warning over here has been lowered to an 'advisory'.

I'm still watching the news and live footage is showing farmland still being completely wiped out...livestock are floating dead, houses, boats, greenhouses, everything is washed away :eek:

I'm updated my supplies FRIDAY and getting more water, more LED flashlights, more batteries, firestarters, everything!

UPDATE: A major oil refinery plant northwest of Tokyo is now engulfed in flames

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

The video is horrific. All I see is water, moving water. No people...

The magnitude of this event is beyond breathtaking. I can't begin to imagine the ramifications.

------

Edited to add: As I watch this, I keep thinking about all our preps, how to better prep - and wondering if any of the people there were preppers....

4. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

With the way the seismic activity has been in the Pacific the last decade..I'm glad I don't live in Okinawa any longer. =[ The island itself could easily be wiped out in its entirety if subjected to a tsunami. God bless our military now stationed in Mainland and Okinawa, Japan and the people of Japan. Stay safe.

5. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Stay safe my friend. CNN is stating that the west coast is getting tsunami warnings.

6. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

These are some biggins, notice it's like in the media not that big of a deal. Any more if several hundred are not killed it get's a short mention then on to something else. They are more of them and they are getting bigger, i think we are next on the list for a large one. So much is going on in the world these days natural and other wise and none of it good. Looks like this one in Japan was a nasty one.

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to the people of Japan. How is our military that is stationed there fairing???

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

CNN says no problem.

9. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I wonder which volcano will spew out what the earth has swallowed up.

10. IrritatedWithUS

@[email protected] I live by 2 active volcanos

Hawaii had a 4.5 earthquake now

The tsunami hit Washington and Oregon coast just now. It went about 40ft and went back in. We're expecting 2-3 more and we don't know if they'll be bigger or not with Hawaii's earthquake and Japan's aftershocks.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

THIS DOESN'T LOOK GOOD....AT ALL!!

http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/heli2.shtml

I check several times a day...wonder if it's broke???:eek:

~~~~There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Ammo. Please use in that order.~~~~

I just heard on the Weather station parts of Louisville is under water...ouch..I didn't know..I don't watch tv.

12. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Clarice,

Thanks for your concern for our military. I have heard from friends at Misawa Air Base (Northern Japan) and Yokota Air Base (Tokyo area). They are doing alright. Misawa is without power and cell phone coverage is sporadic. Information is limited so far, but will be in touch with them again as things settle down. Everyone is scrambling to restore essential services.

13. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

That is good news that they are okay. My friend who is stationed at Saesbo just sent a message on facebook saying he's fine and that he is camping 5000 feet up on a volcanoe.:eek: He's nuts! Luckily Saesbo is in Southern Japan...

Now to hear from friends in Okinawa and Hawaii.

14. IrritatedWithUS

<<The cooling system for a reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant failed on Friday after a massive earthquake caused a power outage.

The continued loss of electricity has also delayed the planned release of vapor from inside the reactor to ease pressure. Pressure inside one of the reactors had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

TOKYO (AP) — Japan's massive earthquake caused a power outage that disabled a nuclear reactor's cooling system, triggering evacuation orders for about 3,000 residents as the government declared its first-ever state of emergency at a nuclear plant.

Japan's nuclear safety agency said pressure inside one of six boiling water reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal. Hours after the evacuation order, the government announced that the plant in northeastern Japan will release slightly radioactive vapor from the unit to lower the pressure in an effort to protect it from a possible meltdown.>>

THAT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL

15. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

If I have to start worrying about a wall of water when I'm at 600' elevation, I give up. :surrender:

It is a horrible situation and I wish the best for all those involved.

16. sailaway

11PM BBC World says 5 damaged nuclear reactors, power is out, battery power running cooling systems on two of them. Batterys are running out of power and radio active steam needs to be released into the atmosphere to cool two of them, tens of thousands will have to evacuate. How do you prep for that, we have reactors everywhere in our country.

17. IrritatedWithUS

That's what I've been thinking. We're all screwed. I'd rather die than live in a hazard suit and mask the rest of my life.

18. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I'm appproximately 1200 feet elevation. I think I'm good...although I swear I'm higher up than that. I think 2000. I'll look tomorrow now that it will bother me. Lol.

19. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Here in sunny north Florida, I am at 175 feet elevation. My home is on a ridge, so never any flooding here - it would be biblical if it did! The tsunami will have to enter the Atlantic, then cross the Panhandle and enter the Gulf to threaten me.

Prayers sent to the folks in Japan - they have been hit hard! They rely so heavily on Mass Transit, which is down - lots of folks stuck and unable to leave the affected areas safely.

Internut News says we have one Carrier there now, and another on the way - that will help provide power, clean water, food, medical care and transport logisitcs. Those big 'bird farms' get a lot of razzing by the peaceniks, but they are a Godsend to people in tragedies lije this! We can literally plop a fully operational airport, powerplant, and hospital facility right where it's needed most! :2thumb:

20. sailaway

You were already washed out about 100 years ago when your dam broke! I don't think 1200' is enough.:eek::D