Reading "One Second After" by William Forstchen

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by faithmarie, Apr 8, 2010.

1. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Reading one second after. I am now depressed. Anyone else read it? Does it have a happy ending?

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Define "happy." It's a realistic ending for the subject matter of the book. Some things are good, some are bad. A book like this could never have a "happy" ending in my opinion. It is worth reading.

3. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

there are some reviews down in the book section...

4. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Oh I know ... it is just so realistic and it looks like there there is no hope. I can't wait to finish it to see if there is anything good that happens. I usually don't read books like this. I am a happy ending book reader. There are books I would like to read like some mentioned in the book but I will just wait for a movie for those books .... I get too into books and movies don't consume me like books do. If you know what I mean.

5. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I think I'm subconsciously holding out for the movie.

6. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Thank you I found the book thread.

7. RainBoKatchr

RainBoKatchr Member

The book is GREAT! The ending is real. The book blew me away! It is SO worth reading! The book has motivated me to become an activist of sorts. I have been emailing my state and local government leader to get them to DO something about this. Don't get depressed! Get active and talk about it to family and friends and whom ever you can! Have you read the EMP Commission Report? I belong to a Yahoo Group about EMP. It has seven members however the members DO post and they give great info. Go to Yahoo Groups and type in EMPACT in the search box and it will be the first listing there.

We would love to have more members. Don't stay silent on this!

Kim & Dave

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Bad link, couldn't connect. Need more info, a website address would be helpful.

9. HozayBuck

Faithmarie

I'd say that just from reading posts in here makes you more knowledgeable then the Author of your book, yes it's gloomy but there was no reason for a lot of the things that happened in the book.. but if the book makes you think and makes you look around you with open eyes then it was a good book for you to read..

Most people think if your a preper ( if they know you are ) that your some weird paranoid person until something happens and then they will remember you and what you have...

there are some very simple things you can do that would make you way ahead of the people in that book..

Like never letting your fuel tank get below half , keep a "bob" in your car, keep bottled water in your car and bob.. keep some good walking shoes in there too.... just doing this kind of stuff puts you way ahead of the herd and smarter then the guy who wrote the book...

UNLESS !! he wrote it that way knowingly... for the shock value..

10. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Hey HozayBuck,

Thanks. I guess its the cannibalism and well I'm not finished with the book yet so who knows what else will depress me... haha. My husband always says "you know when anything happens people will be at the door for food and ect."

I don't let anyone know what we have. And to be honest in our stupidity... my daughter and mine not my husband we bought stock pile grain and canned stuff I would only eat in an emergency so we didn't store what you eat and eat what you store. sooooooo...... live and learn. We always keep water in the cars. I always yell at my son-in-love and daughters to keep the cars fuel full.I have a couple of rolling tanks for fuel but my husband said that gas goes bad so this winter when the storm hit and we lost electric for 4 days I was excited because I thought we had a lot of fuel .... but noooooooo we only had a little and had to barrow some from a neighbor. If we had bough a gas generator instead of a diesel one. If we had gotten a diesel one we would have had 250 gal of fuel. My son-in-love has a propane gen. It goes on once a month and it kicks in when the the electric goes of... you don't even know whats happening. I don't have shoes in my car but always keep a blanket in there in winter. I have 6 grandchildren and I get stressed thinking of preparing for 11 of us. They are 2 miles away. So thats another reason the book is bothering me. Normally I would like it but it is too realistic. Oh well.

I am a true conspiracy theorist. I think I was born one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  11. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Okay I finished the book. Very disturbing and now I want to read the EMP commission report. I would like the EMPACT link.
    There are some good and some bad things in the ending ..... even the end was hopeless to me. It did make me aware of the possibilities of the horror and wanting to try to prepare for the EMP. But the scenario is like I would want it to be....... all of us just living off the grid and learnin together how to live like 200 hundred years ago .... its more live kill or be killed and maybe being eaten by your neighbors with a little farming in between.
    I am the kind of person who needs excellent instructions. Like a child. I need to be MORE organized and focused.

12. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

13. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Thank you so much .... I need something hopeful!

14. HozayBuck

Lights out is an excellent read, more working to survive then road warrior...

Another good read is called "The Castle" I believe it's on the tree rat forum also.. There were ideas in it that I never had thought of and I think about this stuff way too much,...

I'd recommend "Patriots" also...look for it in Amazon... not to pick the nots but it had a bit too much bible pounding in it for my taste but it's still good...

I was put off by the people in it who had a shoot out with some BG's and with great distaste put away the things they took from the dead guys...a rifle is used for good or bad, it don't carry a memory chip saying "Just do bad chit"... get real..if it works it's good.. altho they did trade the items off so...

A lot of the stories make a big moral issue of taking stuff you need from abandoned places and such..if it's after a major shtf , I'm taking anything that's not being used by somebody else... when the TP is gone you'll wish you had took all you found .. I prefer stories that are realistic and more in line with common sense...

I just watched the lead in movie Jeremiah, from the TV show...no reality at all, nothing in it makes sense nothing is even close to real...15 years later and they are still finding food in cans to be good.... not going to happen... so far only the bag guys seem to have been smart enough to get guns...neither of the two main people have weapons even tho they left a place with tons of them...

Anyway, keep looking and asking ...between all of us in here I'll bet we've read everything out there...

15. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Thank you HozayBuck... I read on the book review Patriot was not too good???
    I don't mind Bible pounding as long as it isn't twisted. So I like to play
    "what's wrong with this picture" when someone uses the bible. I just read a little book called The Vision By Debi Pearl. I liked it, but thats me, it is from a christian perspective. All books and movies have their agendas and what they want you to believe and accept,... everyone.
    What is tree rat forum and how do I get there?
    Are the Castle and Lights out in book form? Can I get it in amazon?
    I saw Jeremiah. I have to see it again when it come out on dvd. The bad guys are eating the bad canned food and are like the people in one second after and the good people are all about education and preserving books. There is a little twist that is kinda neat. Kind of liked it and kind of annoyed with it. But hey its got Densel Washington... thats good enough for me. tee hee If you want to see a movie really far fetched go see 2012. I was laughing a lot at that one.
    Anyway thank you so much for your help and I will always be asking and picking everyones brains. I am grateful for this website.

16. RainBoKatchr

RainBoKatchr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  17. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Hey HozayBuck,
    I read High Country Journal by you! I loved it it was light hearted in the midst a time most writers would give you the worst hopelessness doom and gloom. Boy did I need that after reading one second after. Thanks. Oh and my kids are reading it too. I wouldn't let them read OSA. My one daughter has 6 children. And they are pretty close to self sufficient and as protected as you can be. But I wouldn't let her read the book with all the people eating. But thats just me... I am a mama bear.
    HB... keep writing and I am waiting for your next installment.

18. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

I finished One second after last week, and if things happen along those lines, we will be very prepared. Our biggest concern is our two Daughters and grandsons live in the bay area and southern Calif. I only hope they can make it here. If not we will freak. You can only tell your children who are in their mid to late twenties so much, before your a bother. So in the mean time we prep and pray it never goes down.

19. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I am thinking we are going to have a financial melt down first. But it is all the same preparation except for the FC. And I have a medal garbage can lined with a blanket and put in a giger counter, a short wave radio so far.