Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than work qualification I've backed off of shooting because I didn't want to blow through the ammunition I've got and it's expensive to go to the range and replace that ammo. When I've shot it's been mostly in doors, not at the rifle range.

Well...that put me out of touch. The outdoor public range I go to has funky hours now. Reading what's on the website, I can't even tell if they're open today or not, because the listed office hours aren't clear. So, when I plan on going today, I don't even know if they're open!

I guess the thing to do is swing by every now and then, even when not actively shoting.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who backed off on shooting a bit as the economy changed, just passing on a surprise for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Your range should have the hours posted at the gate. If they don't - you should suggest it.

I'm shooting more than ever but I no longer buy factory ammo at retail prices. What I do instead is save my money until I find a bargain, then I buy it. For instance I just picked up an entire reloading room contents at an estate sale. Thousands of projectiles and primers. Instead of buying the inflated retail ammo I load my own. I bought bullet casting equipment but since I have been watching for bargains and buying in bulk I have found that I don't need to cast bullets. It's just not worth teh effort when I can buy projectiles at 5 cents each.

·
Shoots to Thrill
125 Posts
I bought an AR that shoots surplus Russian 5.45x39 rounds (about 12c per vs. 40c per US 5.56). That lets me stock up and stay fresh since I can afford to shoot a lot more often. Since it's an AR, all the muscle memory stays fresh for my other AR type rifles.

I say shoot often and shoot like you expect to in an emergency. Train like you'll fight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts