Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
Just a note of caution if you try and help propagate squirrels on your property. If you have fruit trees don't count on getting much fruit. They rape my apricot trees even before they get close to ripe. The peach trees, they will let them get close but destroy it in a matter of hours. I'm glad they don't like blueberries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got my rabbits going pretty well. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can trap and raise squirrels for meat the same way. Would the feed be worth it and
I'm new here, so I don't know how to properly quote, but someone mentioned squirrels being considered game animals and therefore having a dedicated hunting season.

That can vary by region. In Texas alone 51 counties have a squirrel hunting season, 12 counties have no closed season, 145 counties have no closed season AND no bag limits, and 46 counties have NO squirrel season.

Never had squirrel, but I hear it's good. I'd love to try it sometime. I breed rabbits because I live in a cookie-cutter subdivision that won't allow chickens and I don't have enough yard space to facilitate goats. Never really thought about breeding squirrels, so I guess I know what I'll be researching for the next few days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Survival Forum
Yes and where i live it is illegal to hunt squirrels

·
Registered
603 Posts
ditto on the state game laws - squirrels that have a season involved would likely be regulated species for raising & rehabbing ....

PS >>> ignorance of the law isn't an excuse and it carries a big azz $$$$ fine to make a point

21 - 23 of 23 Posts