Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my rabbits going pretty well. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can trap and raise squirrels for meat the same way. Would the feed be worth it and do they breed in captivity? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Sure, anything is possible.

It might not be the best idea, but it is possible.

Rats would be far easier and provide a similar amount of meat.
It's the same creature, just a different tail.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Just add a squirrel feeder to an area you want them to feed ... and they will come. ;)

I let Mother Nature do the rest.

Attachments

·
Winston Smith Sent Me
4,996 Posts
A conibear 110 or few might cut the need for rounds as well. Putting out a feeder will bring em around and they will supplement their feed by normal foraging. Free range squirrel ready to trap. I might go for live traps instead of a conibear in that situation though.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts

Enough Said?

Dang, why are the videos not appearing any more?

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
I think cats and dogs have alot more meat on them and often other people feed them for you. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think cats and dogs have alot more meat on them and often other people feed them for you. :)
Plus with the number of feral cats and dogs running loose out there, you would have plenty of food that most people would stick their nose up at. The green 24-26 gauge craft wire with simple pre-loaded loops on the leaning log with fill your canner with all the squirrel meat you want. I would probably go with the 22 gauge wire for the feral cats and a coyote snare w/swivel for the dogs :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Finally got my rabbits going pretty well. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can trap and raise squirrels for meat the same way. Would the feed be worth it and do they breed in captivity? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Squirrels are considered game animals, and as such, have a hunting season. As far as trapping them, in my state of Missouri, it is not allowed but may be different in your state. No matter what the hunting/trapping laws are in your state, you will still need a permit to keep wildlife in cages. That being said, I doubt that Squirrels would do well in cages similar to Rabbit cages, but would require large cages that would simulate their natural environment.

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
Most squirrels can be tamed pretty quickly so you would not necessarily need cages. In many cases you can have them eating out of your hand in a week or sometimes less.

221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Squirrels are considered game animals, and as such, have a hunting season. As far as trapping them, in my state of Missouri, it is not allowed but may be different in your state. No matter what the hunting/trapping laws are in your state, you will still need a permit to keep wildlife in cages. That being said, I doubt that Squirrels would do well in cages similar to Rabbit cages, but would require large cages that would simulate their natural environment.
It will be a cold day in a hot place before I seek out needless permits from bureaucratic hacks telling me what I can and can't do on this little piece of God's beautiful earth...that being said thanks for the insight. I do plan on making the cages about 8 feet tall and 4 wide with branches spanning the cage. I plan on doing more research though.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts

·
883 Posts
Just be careful they don't try to nest in your house...they can get bold enough when fed to try, and they WILL wreak havoc on your wiring (especially older homes).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new here, so I don't know how to properly quote, but someone mentioned squirrels being considered game animals and therefore having a dedicated hunting season.

That can vary by region. In Texas alone 51 counties have a squirrel hunting season, 12 counties have no closed season, 145 counties have no closed season AND no bag limits, and 46 counties have NO squirrel season.

Never had squirrel, but I hear it's good. I'd love to try it sometime. I breed rabbits because I live in a cookie-cutter subdivision that won't allow chickens and I don't have enough yard space to facilitate goats. Never really thought about breeding squirrels, so I guess I know what I'll be researching for the next few days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Survival Forum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts