raising pigs without smell and on the cheap

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by paulwheaton, Jan 28, 2011.

1. paulwheaton

paulwheaton Member

Pigs are a naturally clean animal that will do their business in one corner of a bigger space. No smell. No stink. Brian says the only way pigs will stink is if you let them fester in one spot.

The pig fence is stock panels held together with caribeaners.

Brian is growing lots of stuff that the pigs will self harvest. The most important being sunchokes (jerusalem artichokes). But no matter where you move the pigs there is plenty more to eat, thus reducing the feed costs.

Pigs love to eat blackberry roots - and are a great way to control blackberry problems.

YouTube - paulwheaton12's Channel

Please forward to folks that might be interested in this sort of thing!

Many thanks!

2. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour. He describes pigs as the ultimate cultivator and the great pioneer because of their ability to turn the earth in their pursuit of food. In the process, they're also manuring the land and trodding it in. The role of the pig keeper is then to direct their efforts where you want them, either the foodstuffs you've raised for their purpose, the 'seconds' on the field you've harvested your own portion from, or the overgrown hillside you'd love to furrow next year. Goats are good in the latter as well. It's said that the Irish refered to the pig as "the Gentleman who pays the rent".

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

from my perspective, if I have blackberry bushes they are NOT a problem :lolsmash: the more the merrier! :2thumb:

if I didn't have my parents to care for I would have a few pigs in the house, I know they are smart enough to be trained to poop over a "pit" (old unused sump hole) with a 10 gallon inside it... of course that would make it like a pet & that would be bad come slaughtering time

4. Jaspar

Jaspar Well-Known Member

Pigs love acorns incase you didn't know.

5. BillM

BillM BillM

The old timers in Ky and TN

The old timers in KY and TN didn't have fences around much other than the house and garden.

Chickens ran free in the house yard and because they built houses up on pillars about 18" high with no underpining, The chickens could go under the house and scratch for insects. They pecked away at termite mud tunnels and the houses didn't have termites because of the chickens.

Hogs were allowed to free range in the woods and they ate accorns, ( the mast of the forrest). In Oct the farmer would catch as many of the hogs as he intended to kill and would pin them up in a log pen where they were fed corn for at least a month or two. When it got cold enough the hogs were killed and cured where the meat could be salted and smoked for preservation.

Feeding the hogs corn for a month turned the lard white and took away the bitter taste that it would have if the hog had only eaten accorns.

Cows and horses had bells placed around there necks so they could graze and be easiely located . A good dog would bring cattle up to the farm yard on command.

6. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

In my other life, I had 20 sows and 2 boars at one time. Never had a problem with odor but we gave them plenty of room and kept the farrowing houses clean. Nothing cuter than baby pigs.