Raised garden bed cover questions

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by tikiman, Mar 6, 2011.

1. tikiman

tikiman Well-Known Member

For a while now i've been looking at adding covers to my raised beds so I can get the spring stuff in the ground due to the short spring we get around here. ( it can freeze untill may and 90-100's by the middle to end of june) I would like to get my lettuce and cabbage started.
    While there is many differnt articals that out line this they leave me with a few questions.

1. if you cover completly, is there a problem with the plastic sweating? do you need to vent it?
    2. how to afix them to your frame? I still will be getting 20-30mph winds here.

any thought from those who use them?

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

3. tikiman

tikiman Well-Known Member

I was looking at making a pvc or conduit frame over the beds that can be removed latter. but most of what I find just says " attach the plastic to the frames and your done" yeah well.........

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I didn't attach the plastic to my frames ... just using the hoops to keep the plastic off the plants.

I tacked one side of the plasic to the bed and the other side is held down with bricks/rocks. So when needed I just roll the plastic back.