Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
scum and villainy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Champion Softshell vs Mountain Hardware technical Hardshell

Obviously the MH hardshell is the superior rain coat here, but the champion's performance was abysmal.

In a 2 hour downpour, the Champion was completely soaked through in about an hour. It is a lined (the fabric is actually a 2ply water repellant outer and short fleece inner) jacket. It's black, which I like. It doesn't work well, which I don't like. Soaked. I'm talking squeeze water out of the coat soaked. Might as well throw it away, or use it as a lightly insulated fall and spring coat, but then I would want it to shed some so rain, so.... garbage.

The MH hard shell had a slight leakage at the seams along the arms, otherwise it was fine. The hood on the MH is made extra large for helmets, and it can be a pain to get it adjusted to see, it always wants to slip down over your face. Works great with a ballcap, though. Almost worth it to just keep a ball cap in one of the pockets, the jacket sucks without it.

·
scum and villainy
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you share some links or photos of what you are talking about, please?
Mines two years previous to this one, different colors and 2 different pockets, bought on sale as a previous years model

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/men...elite&dwvar_OM5524_variationColor=710#start=8

This is the bad one. Pretty expensive for a bad coat. The outer fabric completely soaks through.

http://www.champion.com/shop/champion/mens-workout/tops/jackets/champion-mens-2-layer-jacket-ch4006

Again, the Champion is the previous years model, so my jacket doesn't have the "Sherpa" lined hood, its a shorter fleece. Same jacket, though.

Sort of a top of their line comparison between two companies.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
I always used something like Helly Hanson rain gear. The heavy thick rubberized material is favored by those that work in commercial fishing or construction where lighter materials don't hold up. If it is raining you wear the jacket and if it is sunny you just wear the bib coveralls. When bringing the gear in you were constantly having water flowing on you and it was great to be able to turn a hose on yourself to get rid of the fish slime or concrete.

Helly Hanson is not the most comfortable or the quietest.

We taped a scabbard with a sharp knife held upside down to the suspenders so that if we got hung up in the gear while we were letting it out that we had chance to cut ourself free before we drowned.
I would make sure that knife was kept supper sharp!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use the US Army Level 6 Gortex Multicam Jacket and Pants
I also have another set that is ACU

·
Registered
188 Posts
A softshell isn't meant for downpours. Just short and light showers or snow.

For waterproof hardshells, I've tried MH, Merrel, Marmot, Columbia,and The North Face.
The North Face one is still the best performing one out of all my waterproof shells.
I'd recommend The North Face Venture for performance and value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts