Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok pretend that as you are reading this someone kicks in your door. For some reason your dogs/early alert system.ect.ect didnt warn you. What do you have around you to defend yourself. Your gun is useless if its upstairs and your downstairs when someone breaks in. Hopefully most of you always have your gun nearbye. This isnt an option for me unfortunantly so I keep a pellet gun pumped up 10 times and has a lead pellet followed by 2 zinc bb's in the chamber. Also I have a machete right next to me, a knife in my pocket and a knife in the vase by the door.

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
LOL
It's 3:27 in the morning. Im at work. Have my gun on my side with 2 spare mags, a total of 46 rounds.
I think Im good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know about everyone else, but a good palm thrust to the nose sounds good to me or even a lamp across the head. But "Betsy" is right here beside me on my night stand otherwise I would tell hubby to get them. I am planning to get my daughter bear spray for times like this.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
The Winchester 97, 12ga pump is leaning against the desk. The chambered round is 6 shot, the next 2 are 00, and the last 2 are slugs. Anywhere in the house, we are only about 10' from something. OK. Except the attic. :rolleyes: There's nothing up there.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Binding rage at the thought of someone busting into my house along with the closest heavy object.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I like the blinding rage thing, Immolatus! But my 20-gauge is right behind the desk, just have to reach around the side; and a baseball bat sitting here innocently waiting for something to do.

I like the pellet gun and machete idea too. Quieter. I was going to say not as messy as the shotgun would be, but the machete...dunno, that could get pretty messy! Guess I should keep a roll of paper towels by my desk. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's midnight , can't think at this time of the night. so I guess I'm the first one down. Hopefully who ever just busted my door just needed to pee.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
LOL
It's 3:27 in the morning. Im at work. Have my gun on my side with 2 spare mags, a total of 46 rounds.
I think Im good.
Hahaha! Yep, but the M&P .40 doesn't like to have that extra round in the chamber, so I've only got 45 rounds on me. ;)

I am never without a weapon, at the very least I have a knife on me at all times. Depending upon which room I am in, I would either grab a sword from one of the rooms downstairs or upstairs, or the shotgun upstairs. I also generally have a pistol on me, as well.

The important thing is to know and be aware of your options at all times, train with all options so that you are prepared to use them if you must, and always play the "what if" game, running through multiple scenarios from different angles.

·
Registered
983 Posts
We have a 22 by the door, a shotgun in the bedroom, a pellet rifle on the screened patio and I always have my 308 in my purse. I think I would throw something first an yell real loud the distract for that few seconds it would take to get to my weapon.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Will never reveal our close quarter defenses, but let's just say that we have no worries. Just consider the threat eliminated.
We look at it a little differently. Most folks around here know we are well armed and I feel that's a good thing. If there is no one home, which is rare, we have the 7 dogs, two of which do not take well to strangers. Delivery people are afraid to come to the door because when they knock the only thing they see is a couple sets of fangs at chest level.
I have no problem telling anyone that we have a loaded gun in every room of the house.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Ok pretend that as you are reading this someone kicks in your door. For some reason your dogs/early alert system.ect.ect didnt warn you. What do you have around you to defend yourself. Your gun is useless if its upstairs and your downstairs when someone breaks in. Hopefully most of you always have your gun nearbye. This isnt an option for me unfortunantly so I keep a pellet gun pumped up 10 times and has a lead pellet followed by 2 zinc bb's in the chamber. Also I have a machete right next to me, a knife in my pocket and a knife in the vase by the door.
Grab my Franken-45 off the desk or the Ruger 22 out of the ash tray can and pop them.

I actually repelled an invader once with a combat axe I have on the wall[it was the village idiot looking for cigarettes at 3:00 A.M but who knew in the dark right?]

He survived only because he screamed when I jumped on him.

·
234 Posts
I would keep squeezing the trigger until I heard a click from my hand or a thump from a large mass going down by the door. Then a reload, followed by more trigger squeezing, unless I've heard the aforementioned thump. If that fails, grab the next piece of iron, which is right next to the first. Rinse. Repeat. If none of that works, a pencil to the eye usually takes the zest out of a fella.:eek:

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
.380 Ruger LCP in my pocket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only occasion where I am personally aware of this sort of scenario the intruder was injured, in need of medical assistance and was being pursued by an assailant. too hasty a response would have resulted in a dead victim and left the resident vulnerable to the pursuing assailant.

A bunch of yelling, and a 911 call had the assailant fading away, and the victim taken to the hospital.

I would rather invest in getting to know my neighbors by name and well enough for voice recognition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an M9 strapped to my right thigh in condition 3.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A. What do you mean "your gun is useless because it's upstairs"? Why would you have more rooms than you have guns lol?
B. My cat would get them--my pitbull has a cat he raised so the cat sees himself as a guard dog.
C. You only have a new york second to turn the tide in a situation like that. The only advantage you have is the fact that noone expects tooth to the bone resistance in cases like this. Give everything you got and don't stop while there is still anything moving.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A. What do you mean "your gun is useless because it's upstairs"? Why would you have more rooms than you have guns lol?
While I do agree with you my point was that people should have a weapon in every room. If you dont your gambling on where you will be when a break in occours, your chips are your life and your all in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts