Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question for everyone... My son used to tie flys for fishing and we have quite a few that none of us use and are very nice.. is this something that would go well on a site such as Ebay or Esty?:confused:
I was thinking of looking on line to see what other hand tied flys go for and price accordingly. I have tons of little shipping boxes and bags so don't have to buy any shipping stuff just shipping it out.
Anyone on here do things like this? Any advice? I was thinking Ebay and Esty so that I can set up a paypal account. Seems safer that way.. and we still have his kit so that if they do well he can make more if needed.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I don't have experience with Etsy but we sell things on ebay.

I'd go to ebay and look at what others are selling and how much they're selling for. Then check the history on several of the items and see what kind of bidding is going on, and how well they're selling on "buy it now".

We've never had a problem buying or selling on ebay, other than the occasional slow payer or someone slow to ship something we purchased.

Good luck!

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Ebay, ain't heard a the other one. Shop round on there ta see similar ones ta what yall got so yer prices be in line. Good luck!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
idk how many you have, or how fast you make them (when I tried it took me a loooooong time) but the going rate seems to be 80-120 for $20... :(

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Etsy is a marketplace for handmade goods. Mostly artsy type stuff last time I looked but also some practical, yet handmade, goods too.

Ebay would probably work as would other options. One downside is shipping. If you can send it in an envelope with a stamp or two that's fine otherwise a box starts to add a premium to the price when you factor in shipping. Maybe consider offering them in 10 packs or some other large quantity. If using a small box $3.00 to ship a single one might seem high while $3.25 to ship 10 is reasonable. I would think given the weight (or lack of) you could probably just send them in a envelope... maybe a padded one. Check with USPS for shipping charges on that.

You might even want to post some pics on here and see if you get any takers.

Another factor with ebay is the amount of sellers. I did a search on ebay for "hand tied fly" and found a lot of matches. Looking just at sold items and it shows they are going for 33-50 cents or so each.

Finally just doing a general internet search shows a number of sites selling them. Looks like 50 cents for the more generic sites with $1-2 for the premium sites. Not sure if they're selling many, just that they're asking $1-2 each.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input and I did scope out the flys online and had the same thoughts as you all-so much for 10 give two free kind of thing.. I have traded and sent things in the padded envelopes with the small boxes (to prevent crushing)inside full of bean seed and other seeds and it is not too bad. But I may just give them away to friends and family for holiday gifts. We only have about 60 of them left..
But had another thought after seeing how cheap they are online.. get a nice "shadow box" and make wall art out of them-nice backing and mount them under glass with a little placard under the fly or group of flys giving them a artsy description. lol may just sell better..
I do have one Aunt and Uncle who have fishing and lakes and light houses as their decor in their new home and that would be a really nice gift for one of their walls.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Don't get discouraged by the large number of people selling hand-tied flies on ebay. My daughter makes soap, and last winter I listed her soap on ebay even though dozens of other people were selling homemade soap. We sold four bars. Not a 'get rich quick' way of life, but little bits here and there add up.

Are there craft fairs or other places locally where you could sell the flies? Shops around town that would buy them to sell? I personally try to avoid consignments. The shopkeepers either buy my stuff or I don't leave it there to sell. Just my own feelings about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ebay and Pay-Pal are pretty high, fee wise. On certain items, or sellers with certain volumes, ebay-paypal will freeze your money for a month or so until the buyer decides to post feedback. My wife sells on both and we have had better luck on Etsy, although your product may not be a perfect fit there. (Not many women fly fish). For the fees ebay/paypal charges, you can about set up your own merchant account with your local bank and take credit cards yourself.
Just remember once you give paypal access to your bank account, paypal has FULL access to that account. Ebay is also a monster on shipping, as stated above. If you are willing to invest the money up front, instead of being nickel and dimed to death, you can set up your own website,
take creditcards, and use google adwords and services like it to drive traffic to your site. If you dont want to spend the time managing your own stuff, I would go Etsy, then ebay in that order.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
My wife works with somebody who makes fishing flies and sells them on eBay. eBay definitely has the advantage when it comes to how many people will see your auction. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on eBay over the years.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I never minded the ebay fees. I figure they're giving me a market with an opportunity to reach a lot of people and I'm okay with paying them for it. We've done okay. Same with paypal. I think they deserve to be paid for their service. If I didn't want to use paypal, I could do like others suggested, set up my own website and take credit cards and bank cards. It's whatever works for each of us.

There's always Craig's list, which is free to use. Gotta watch the scammers and spammers there though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts