Prepared Society Forum banner

Should "Spirituality" be added as category?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Neutral or don't care

Votes: 10 40.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to create a "Spirituality" category on this forum (next to "Religion"),
so the non-traditional religions, philosophies and beliefs can be discussed.
So I suggested it, but a couple of comments made me think that maybe I should've asked your opinions first.
So here it is:
Do you think having 2 categories: Religion and Spirituality is a good idea?

Religion - reserved for traditional religious discussions.
Spirituality - any spiritual topic goes, no slams allowed.

Or maybe it doesn't matter to you one way or another.

Please vote and feel free to post your opinion :)

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
What is in a name? Live and let live ... ;)

I an Eclectic Witch, I do not follow a religion but my path. I have posted many times about many things in the religion section with no one giving me a hard time. Even about Santa ...lol

I have been ask qustions and such, just as much as I have ask a few myself. The folks on this forum are pretty cool ... and well the Forum Leader are pretty top notch and keep a eye on things. ;)

I understand where you are going but to be honest would it be different just by adding a word.

I did not vote in the poll because I feel it is not needed ... But that is just me. :D

Good luck with your poll.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
no slams allowed.
There is a rule in the existing religion section that, in essence, says the same thing. Religion always brings controversy and argument over which is right and which is wrong. A new section will not change that no matter what the rules say. I feel one section is more than enough. YMMV.

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your post, *Andi :)

I do not follow any organized religion either.
Found my path. Very happy with it :2thumb:

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a rule in the existing religion section that, in essence, says the same thing. Religion always brings controversy and argument over which is right and which is wrong. A new section will not change that no matter what the rules say. I feel one section is more than enough. YMMV.
Yep, moderator said the same thing. We'll have to make it work as is. Hope everyone reads the rules :ignore::D

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Very well put!:flower:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'm a Solitaire Wiccan aka Witch (not to be confused with pagan either..) and I just don't think it needs to be separate. While I shun this area like the plague because people will be people and no matter how innocuous a comment is, it can and will, still be hurtful to others.(of any religion or belief) Arguments will break out. it is in human nature to be fearful of others who do not think the way they do... even I am not immune from it.
If I remember correctly this forum ( like others) have a social group area where you can probably set up a Spirituality group and invite anyone or anyone can join.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I voted "No", but not because I do not support the idea of increased discussion of spirituality, but because I believe that more spirituality should be incorporated with religion. Follow?

I am generally a Christian, however, I am honest enough with myself that the vast majority of Christian traditions have roots in pagan, polytheistic, and earth-based religions and faith systems. I tend to look at the Christian concept of "God" as another aspect of "Cernunnos", "The Triple Goddess", "The Force", or any other aspect. There is a greater power. Different people follow different paths to that Greater Power, and no one path is more inherently correct or wrong. To divide spirituality away from religion is to weaken the whole.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
a belief in any form of god/spirit/energy , is still a "religion". who or what i choose to believe in is what makes is a religion. we just need to be respectful of ALL religious chooses.

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I voted "No", but not because I do not support the idea of increased discussion of spirituality, but because I believe that more spirituality should be incorporated with religion. Follow?
I am all for it. And I thank everyone for their responses :)

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we just need to be respectful of ALL religious chooses.
That's what I thought was lacking. But maybe my first impression was wrong and I jumped to a conclusion too quickly.
I'll give it another try and see what happens :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am a Christian and I do not hesitate to witness at every opportunity. But some things are personal and private just between me and my Lord and Savior.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Spirituality is another way of saying religion. I think it's ridiculous when people describe themselves as spiritual but not religious.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
I am a Christian and I do not hesitate to witness at every opportunity. But some things are personal and private just between me and my Lord and Savior.
That sums it up..Amen!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I think we've done outstanding in the area of religious and spiritual discussion on this forum. I've learned a lot by hearing other views. There's a wide variety of beliefs and practices here, and I think we've been mostly respectful of each other.

I appreciate everyone who has contributed and commented in such a manner. We have an exceptional group of people, and I think we get along okay in this section together.

Thanks, Indigo, for having peaceful intent and looking for ways to be thoughtful of others!

:)

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Spirituality is another way of saying religion. I think it's ridiculous when people describe themselves as spiritual but not religious.
EDIT: You are correct that when most people say "spiritual" they usually mean "not of organized religion". But the fact is they are usually just making up their own religion.

There is a difference (between religion and spirituality). Religion is mans way to please God mans way. Spirituality is anything having to do with the spiritual (usually referring to a "spiritual life") which is actually against religion though most folks dont realize it.

Heres an example: God is spiritual but not religious. Jim Jones was religious but not spiritual. Not saying religion is "bad" from mans point of view or even bad for man but its got little to nothing to do with spirituality. Religion keeps a lot of folks from doing bad things to others and that is good (temporaly).

When most folks talk about religion they just mean "what I think about God and what I can do to approach God or commune with God" and really what one person thinks is no better than what another person thinks if they are not approaching God the way God designates.

Another example: If I am spiritual (leading a spiritual life according to the Spirit) that means I commune with God. On the other hand if is say I am religious that means that I have a list of things I dont do and a list of things I do do and this makes me acceptable to God (if only in my own mind).

As you can see, spirituality and religion are kinda apples and oranges though most folks dont recognise that because things of the Spirit are foolishness to them and all they know about a relationship with God is what they know from their relationships with others (they think "do for God and He will do for you" but God says "trust me and I will do for you").

When we die God will not ask us for our religious affiliation -- instead he will either recognise us as a friend (spiritually speaking) or He will recognise us as an enemy (spiritually speaking) depending on what we trusted in to make us acceptable to approach Him.

EDIT: That said, I understand when a forum topic is "Religion" what really needs to be discussed is spirituality because religion will get us nowhere from an eternal perspective.

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Thank you Ant! Although I disagree with a few points. WELL SAID :2thumb:

·
38 Posts
Spirituality is another way of saying religion.
While they are often used interchangeably, I have to disagree. From Wikipedia:

Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being; or the "deepest values and meanings by which people live."[2] Spiritual practices, including meditation, prayer and contemplation, are intended to develop an individual's inner life; spiritual experience includes that of connectedness with a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self; with other individuals or the human community; with nature or the cosmos; or with the divine realm.[3] Spirituality is often experienced as a source of inspiration or orientation in life.[4] It can encompass belief in immaterial realities or experiences of the immanent or transcendent nature of the world.
I am not religious by any means, but by the description above, I could be considered "spiritual".

Either way, at this time I don't really find this forum (as a whole) to be one where I would really feel comfortable discussing that sort of stuff I don't think, though I don't mind there being a forum or more discussion about such things. So I guess I'll vote Neutral.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to create a "Spirituality" category on this forum (next to "Religion"),
so the non-traditional religions, philosophies and beliefs can be discussed.
So I suggested it, but a couple of comments made me think that maybe I should've asked your opinions first.
So here it is:
Do you think having 2 categories: Religion and Spirituality is a good idea?

Religion - reserved for traditional religious discussions.
Spirituality - any spiritual topic goes, no slams allowed.

Or maybe it doesn't matter to you one way or another.

Please vote and feel free to post your opinion :)
Religion and spirituality are two different items.
Religion is slavery.
Spirituality is growth and freedom.

But in any case,isn't it an excuse for a million posts that all end in p1$$1ng contests?

I couldn't stand that here,its such a nice forum!but if you desire such,come to my forum,its left path[spiritual self reliance LOL]but we welcome all who want to share or learn.P.M me if you want to see.

P.S
we ran all the jerks off ages ago,that's why its quiet.:cool:

·
Spiritual Prepper
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I strongly disagree.
And I am leaving it at that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts