Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does today's level of societal division compare to what you saw then? How do today's collapse fears compare to what people thought during the civil rights movement, cold war, stagflation, etc?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I grew up in the sticks so the main problem I think we had was generation gap between parents and their kids me being one of them. Not serious fights or arguments but kids wanting more from life it seemed. I was to young in the 60's but the 70's had some turmoil. But the lack of social media mitigated our exposure to it. We only had news at 6:00 and 9:00. So the anonymous hate wasn't spread. Letters to the editor had names on them. It seemed to me that people had thicker skin back then. Those are just some generalized ramblings. Nobody I knew thought of collapse they had confidence in survival of the nation.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
How does today's level of societal division compare to what you saw then? How do today's collapse fears compare to what people thought during the civil rights movement, cold war, stagflation, etc?
It is Martin Luther Kings Birthday today. He was jailed 29 times and survived an attempted assignation in 1953. He only wanted people to be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. He advocated against violence and averted a violent civil war. The Cuban missile crises brought us to the brink of nuclear war. The Viet Nam war divided the nation. A president was almost impeached.

Today our nation is divided by political forces who neither know our history or our constitution . There is no work ethic in the general populace. Our youth are largely soft never having worked or fought for anything.

Even with all the problems of the 60's and 70's we are in worse shape now.

·
AK4FU
98 Posts
We are a Country of Laws not feelings, if someones feelings get hurt it's Hate Speech people have lost jobs been Doxed and had violence directed at them for exercising their first amendment right of free speech red flag laws are another way of under cutting the First Amendment; a accusation and you are guilty with out Due Process. No this is not the America that I grew up in.

Reactions: nathan and FrankW

·
AK4FU
98 Posts
The situation in Virginia could become a flash point as Leftist elements try to subvert the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, This is what the second Amendment was intended to stop a Tyrannical Government, we as a Nation have never been so polarized I hope cooler heads will prevail before things get ugly; but the Constitution must be upheld at all cost.

Reactions: mrghostwalker

·
Registered
723 Posts
During the 60s the protesters in my college city were mostly lightweights...when the weather got cold in the winter they quit until it got warm again. Many were more interested in the social mixing than the actual cause. Polarization was almost as high as now, but the hostility levels were lower. The self-righteousness of the protesters and activists was about the same. Somehow raising cain and pointing out a problem was much more moral than actually rolling up your sleeves and working to fix it, same as ever.
As far as social fears, it is hard to take the "we are all gonna die!" aspect of global warming seriously when we were all supposed to die from nuclear. war....then pesticides....then air pollution...then water pollution....then a "great depression....Y2K........etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wrote a long article about this years ago. It is lengthy and I won't post it all unless someone wants to read it in its entirety. Let me know and I will post it, or I can give you a link where you can read it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
From my blog,
https://crcaseyboy.wordpress.com/page/4/
"Reasons for the changes that have occurred in the United States"
There are other article posted that describe other outside ventures into our country as well as homegrown movements that have left us where we stand today as a nation. I do a lot of research, I read a lot of books and articles, I also write books, and I see where we have been led astray for the last 100 years. We gave up our right to print our own money and then allowed a group of unified bankers to print our money. loan it to us when they get it from the presses, and then charge us interest for allowing us to use it. There is more but be my guest and read what I discovered.
Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The trend over the last 15 - 20 years was globalization and expanding international markets. I think what has already started a few years ago and will be accelerated by the spread of COVID-19 is that the US and other Western countries will re-think their manufacturing/supply chain strategies. China and other Asian countries will loose their place in the world as dominant manufacturers.
JMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 74 and clearly remember the 50's - 70's. The kind of divisions we now see are far worse than anything like we saw during that era. The thought that someone was homosexual (let alone a transsexual) was reason enough to beat them silly in a bar if they were stupid enough to make a pass at another guy. Back then we actually understood what gender we were...it wasn't that difficult to discern. As a nation, we were far more united in keeping the Constitution inviolate and (with the exception of a minority during Vietnam), we were very proud of our nation and considered it the best on the planet. Today, America is seen as the main source of global terrorism, and our wars were prosecuted to keep people of color in line, and we were founded on slavery. Today we are ashamed of our own culture and history (or at least told that we should be). When I was in high school is was common to see rifles hanging in racks in the back of pick-up trucks parked in my high school parking lot and no one thought a thing about it.

I really believe that I am now living in a much different, but much worse country.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
I remember the late 70's. we went to school every day thinking we were about to die and lived like that. NOW everyone thinks they'll live forever and we got two generations of libtard fueled, woke, cancel culture human garbage wasting oxygen who appreciate nothing and "Survival" is a week of groceries and a Glock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts