Question about space blankets...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by TimB, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TimB

TimB Member

During a recent discussion with several friends at work about various SHTF scenarios, I wondered about space blankets. If you happen to be in a situation where you and possibly your family or friends are being pursued by an enemy w/ FLIR or other heat-sensing gear, would wrapping up in a space blanket be enough to conceal your heat signature? I figure someone here that is a lot smarter than me would know. ;) I have 2 for each member of my family plus a couple of extras in the BOB for the obvious reason. :D

Tim

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

There are two types of space blankets, one is plastic with a layer of mylar, works well in reflecting back your body heat and thus keeping you warm, but, does not have insulation. Can be packed and folded very small for a personal BOB. The other is more bulky do to the addition of a combo layers of air and solid material between silver foil, thus cannot be packed as small as the previous one. Outside cover is usually heavier waterproof plastic.
    I don't believe either one would provide enough to conceal your heat signature.