Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some input from people here about how to buy silver.

Historically, I have purchased some American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins but I do know that you can purchase little 1oz. silver bars out there. I had some when I was a little kid.

My question is...

How would you purchase your silver? Coinage? Bars? What are some pros and cons to both?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
Grab it quick!

I just came into some money after my dad passed away last Dec...

Last Monday, Feb 2, I bought a "Monster Box" of Eagles (500 1 oz US mint 2011, 20 tubes with 25 coins each) for $15,620.

As we speak - right at this moment, the Monster Box went up to $16,640 !! Man, I just made $1020 in a week...

http://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver_americaneagle.php

Nuff said? - go figger!

In Jan 2009, I put $80K of my life savings into silver bullion bars at $10.75/oz, spot right now is $30.30/oz
I'm a believer!!

Historically, I have purchased some American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins but I do know that you can purchase little 1oz. silver bars out there. I had some when I was a little kid.

My question is...

How would you purchase your silver? Coinage? Bars? What are some pros and cons to both?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Any silver you buy is a good one. Some coins/bullion are more rare, and demand a higher premium, but if you are in it for a hedge/protection, I dont see the point in buying them, although obviously they will retain this higher value because of the rarity.
10/20oz bars seem to be harder to come by, but this doesnt mean you should search them out. Buy what you can afford.
The only reason you should try to buy larger amounts is that sometimes you will get a better rate on larger purchases.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don't buy any silver on the premise of making money but I do buy up silver and gold at the flea market and at yard sales as most pieces that I have picked up were between .10¢ and a $1 as they were not pretty or the silver turned super black. Or quite frankly they didn't know that grandma's old funny looking costume jewerly was real silver or even gold.. some folks just wanna get rid of stuff and I have found several nice heavy .965 silver pieces super cheap. I'd bet that I have about 1/4 pound of small rings and chains and bracelets and even earrings that are good sterling silver with the proper silver marks inside them that might come in handy for trading. The old standard that silver and gold are worth their weight in, hum, gold so to speak will still stand a bit after the SHTF. I still think that other things will be worth more but you know that someone will still think that gold will be worth something if things straighten out.
Me I am gonna stock up on heirloom seeds, fishhooks(living in MI we are teeming with lakes, streams, rivers and the like) even sharp knives will come in handy for trades. But a few cheaply bought silver rings and such will not be turned away!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good input everyone, including snatching up some silver trinkets from flea markets. I go to quite a few during the summer so I will keep an eye peeled for deals that are just too good to walk away from.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I buy dimes, pre 1964 kennedy halves or dimes, what they call 'fractional silver' which is 1/10th, 1/5th bars of silver as well as 1oz and 10oz bars.

DO IT QUICK! SILVER is soaring!

·
Registered
81 Posts

My question is...

Thanks in advance!

Geo
I prefer to stick to easily recognizable US silver coinage. Silver bars are easily counterfeited and when TSHTF the vast majority of traders wont be able to tell fake silver bars from real ones. Even now many people are duped by fake precious metals collectibles. It is much harder to counterfeit pre 1965 silver coinage and would be much more difficult. One could also easily distinguish counterfeit coinage generally by simply weighing the coins. Counterfeit coins will weigh significantly off of the weight of the real coins (more than a couple tenths of a gram in either direction usually around the few grams mark depending on what metal is used).

Most coins sold as bullion also have a natural wear pattern that is difficult to duplicate as well.

People especially the older generations will quickly recognize the value of silver coinage and recognize it more easily as authentic and trust it better than a random bar of silver looking metal that many could reproduce, in my opinion.

Personally I've stashed away morgan dollars, walking liberty half dollars, roosevelt silver dimes, mercury dimes, and silver washington quarters because I can get them easily and much more cheaply than other similar silver coinage. It also gives me a range of silver weights to trade with. All are 90% silver coinage. I would personally avoid 40% silver coinage as it is mor confusing for most people to distinguish the silver versions from the non silver versions. The JFK silver halves and the silver wartime nickels being prime examples.

I feel american eagles and specific bullion coins and bars tend to have a higher premium over spot price unnecessarily. I have never paid more than 75 cents over spot at most for my silver when buying from dealers.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Silver

bullion silver is available in U S bullion coins from recognized PM dealers in 1 oz sizes. They are .999 fine bullion silver. They have the advantage of not requiring an assay to determine purity.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There is already silver shortages being reported. I'd buy NOW if you can.
It has been reported that the U.S. Mint has sold over 6,422,000 ounces worth of silver bullion coins just in January, 2011, alone, which is the largest amount ever reported. That is an incredible amount of silver for one mint to use. If demand elsewhere has heightened to a point anywhere similar to this, the backwardation of silver becomes understandable.
All the pieces to the puzzle are now in place for an silver price explosion ($50+ an ounce) which will be likely to start within months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buying silver in rounds, bars or U.S coins (pre 1964) is good. Scrap silver can be a bit dicey - as the purity is unknown, so it is harder to valuate when selling. A dealer buying it would generally tip the scales in their favor.

I recommend buying 1 oz. rounds or U.S. silver coins. In my opinion, buy whatever has the lower premium per ounce of silver. Local dealers here are currently charging $1.10 per oz. premium on bullion.

Make sure any bullion is clearly marked .999 fine and how much it weighs.

I also recommend not buying it all at once - watch the market and buy on dips. The silver market is known for big swings in both directions. Spreading out your purchases allows you take advantage of the down swings. Don't get caught up in any mania - emotional responses to any financial or commodity market usually ends up with regret.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One more thing - I know there are people out there suggesting people purchase rare coins to avoid possible confiscation. Keep this in mind: The only thing rarer than your coin, may be the next buyer when troubled times come.

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
@ Idahofreedom: your last 2 posts are well said ! -thanks

@ lostsoflead: the magnet technique is a quick way, there are other "non-destructive" tests listed on the internet.

@ All here... just buy your silver from an established and reputable firm!
I've bought over 100 grand in bullion and Eagles since the end of 2008 from NWTM and never had a problem! Each time you buy, you have a contract with them that they have always honored! Most shipping is free and insured. They will buy thier own Pan-American etc. bullion back at just under spot in a heartbeat... - where can you go wrong? Why take a chance or hassle of getting ripped off anywhere else?

NOT an endorsement or recommendation, -just a personal experience!

Thier shipping is sometimes 8 - 10 weeks, that's the only drawback I've seen...

Here is a forum that's devoted to Silver buying experiences and advice:
http://forums.silverseek.com/index.php?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I just came in here to brag :cool: ....

I went to an antique store today and there was a small cabinet filled with coins at the end of the store shoved along the side of a wall with antiques piled on top. I bought 10 Eisenhower dollars, a walking liberty half dollar from 1917, 2 40% silver kennedy halves, and a suspicious-looking round. I bought them for $58 and went home. I took the suspicious looking round out of it's case (that I had bought for $5) and right on the side of the coin it said 1 Troy Ounce .999 Silver! So, for $58 I walked away with 5.04 ounces of 'junk silver' !
I am extremely happy right now...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great find IrritatedWithUS!

Its not uncommon to find such bargains if you search around various stores and check back often. Or if you have the capital, drop a business card or your name and number and ask them to give you a call when new coins/items you're interested in come in. Most of the time, they will.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just came in here to brag :cool: ....

I went to an antique store today and there was a small cabinet filled with coins at the end of the store shoved along the side of a wall with antiques piled on top. I bought 10 Eisenhower dollars, a walking liberty half dollar from 1917, 2 40% silver kennedy halves, and a suspicious-looking round. I bought them for $58 and went home. I took the suspicious looking round out of it's case (that I had bought for $5) and right on the side of the coin it said 1 Troy Ounce .999 Silver! So, for $58 I walked away with 5.04 ounces of 'junk silver' !
I am extremely happy right now...
Not to break your bubble, but Eisenhower dollars do not contain silver.
Liberty Half Dollar has .36 oz. of silver, and the Kennedy 40% halves (1965-1969) contain .14789 oz of silver each. So, you ended up with about 1.65 oz. of silver. I thought it was better that you know what you actually have. Still not a bad buy - you ended up with about $54.00 worth of silver, plus the $10 in Eisenhowers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts