Puzzling question

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by kejmack, Aug 13, 2011.

1. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

I find it very puzzling that so many "preppers" on this site and others are dependent on electricity for their preparations.

Nothing draws attention to your preparations more than a noisy generator running. People have freezers full of food and think they are going to have a generator to run. Where is the gasoline going to come from? When there is a major disaster, gas stations can not pump gas. If a SHTF event or TEOTWAWKI occurs, there isn't going to be any gasoline or electricity.

If you want to find out if you are really prepared, turn off the electricity for a weekend.

2. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Been there--done that. We did our lunar black out experiments over the winter months. 24 hours without power except to keep the freezers up and running. Heat and cooking was on the wood burning stove.

We learned a lot from those experiments and have since cut back on our freezer Also encourage everyone to test your ability to do without power for 24 hours.

3. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

I do agree that unless you live where sound is not a problem, a genset running is a dead give-a-way. But...

Having solar to run freezers is not out of the question. And guess what? It's silent and the "gas" is free.:D

Solar should be more and more in preppers plans.

I didn't shut the power off, but Camille did 4 weeks, Fredrick did 3 days, Elana did 4 days and Katrina 14 days....been there done it and it ain't fun.

Jimmy

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We will be tied to the grid for the forseeable future. If we lose power wnd fuel for the gennie we'll be in a bad way for a while. Prepping takes time and money, and it seems when I have plenty of one I don't have near enough of the other to accomplish big things like a transition to solar power, as much as I'd like to.

5. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I'm preparing for life without electricity or running water. I expect hyperinflation to get so bad that there won't be either one for a long time.

6. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Good point. But.....

We have 3 gennys they are all the "whisper" quiet ones not a lot louder than a central a/c unit running. So noise isn't an issue there. As far as the gas running a genny for a few hours a day just enough to keep the freeze and fridge cold enough doesn't take a huge amount of fuel. Our large one will run that way for about 3 days on one 5 gallon tank of fuel, and I keep at least 75-100 gallons of fuel on hand at all times. Add a under construction solar generator set up. we are in decent shape. While a long term shtf or teotwawki scenerio would/ could lead to an eventual lead to running out of fuel. But in that time we would use up perishable foods. Then our dry and canned preps will kick in.

As far as shutting off the power.... We have vectren as our power company. Just about everytime it thinks about raining power goes out for a few hours. If it is a bad storm we have been without grid power for as much as 3 weeks in a strech before,

7. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

We have different "levels" of preps, some things are for a complete SHTF situation, some are for a short term problem. We have a generator (3 to be exact :D) & 1 freezer but we do not plan to use them long term or even in all situations. We know how much food we have in the freezer & approximately how much time, supplies & fuel it would take to get it canned or dried before we ran out of generator fuel. The generator & freezer at our house are conveniences & are no way figured into our SHTF preps.

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

When all manmade sounds (motors, etc.) are gone, even those "whisper quiet" genny's will be heard for quite a ways. Just as quiet as an air conditioner? Here in the quiet woods of NW Montana, in an area that is totally off-grid, I can hear a neighbor's generator 2 miles away in a sound-reducing shed. You'll be surprised how far sounds carry when that background hum of electricity is gone, and when the chaos of people running about or wind blowing or rain falling, is gone.

I still love a comment Naekid made last year, something to the effect of that those who will survive are those who can let go of the world as we knew it and adapt to/embrace the world we will be living in after TEOTWAWKI.

In addition to wondering about all those people putting so much money and effort into trying to be set up to maintain electricity after TSHTF, I shrug at those who so desperately worry about keeping their vehicles EMP-proof! Where are they going to drive? And how long will they be able to drive when no one else can? Talk about being a target! If an EMP truly does happen AND it takes out the grid and cars/transportation, it will likely be far too dangerous to be out and about driving. There will be a lot of desperate and panicked people.

9. ashley8072

ashley8072 The only one responsible for yourself, is you!

I've noticed the same thing. Anyone on city water is going to have a time with that. Even storing that much water is hard. We have a generator if we were in serious need to use one, we live in the country and have means of turning the well pump to manual. As a camper, we have duel-fuel lanterns and stoves and plenty of Coleman fuel stocked up. In the event of an EMP, gasoline will be siphoned for them. The food to keep cold is the hardest for anyone. Among racks of canned meats here, we have a small deepfreezer with just meat in it. I suggest that if u have no way of keeping food cold besides the fridge, buy a metal trashcan with lid and bury it in the shade with a few inches sticking up. These are great even in hot weather to keep things cool.

10. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

True..Hopefully we will have our solar genny built soon and won't have to worry about the noise. My main dependance in the gennys are now for small shtf situations. ( Bad storms etc that knock out power short term.) As I said before in a major SHTF or teotwawki We'll use up those supplies first and won't need the generators.

11. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I agree completely with Naekid's point; "Survive, Adapt, Overcome" is my basic outlook on most of these situations. I enjoy electricity, it certainly makes things easier... but I've spent two weeks in the woods without it, and could get by for quite some time without it.

As for the EMP-proofing of autos, I believe that the main reason most people are trying to maintain a functioning vehicle is for a "bug out" situation, where staying in place is not viable. I know that would be my case; if it happens while I am home, I've got either a 30 mile commute to my nearest option, or about 150 miles to my best (current) option. I certainly harbor no false hope that I will be driving around the wasteland in the last of the V8 police interceptors...;)

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Ah, bug out vehicles, yes Turtle, I hadn't thought about that as for why people are so worried about keeping a vehicle running after an EMP. There are, however, a lot of people talking about storing hundreds and even thousands of gallons of gas, even to the extent of buried tanks. I don't think those people plan on bugging out! But if things quiet down and stabilize, it might become safe to once more drive around. One might wonder "where to?", but things like trade/barter centers or to check on family and friends come to mind.

oldsoldier, I'm glad to hear you're working toward solar so you won't need your gennys during the most dangerous times. Solar panels have come down in price so much that almost everyone can afford at least one, along with something like a cheap 350-watt inverter from a box or hardware store, to at least power lights. It might even be more economical than buying a lot of oil lamps, oil, and extra wicks and globes. On the other hand, oil lamps are more portable and can be easily moved where light is needed.

It's good to know how to live without electricity, although I see nothing wrong with people using whatever electrical things they want to while the good times last. But you need to really look at what all you're doing that requires electricity and give thought to how you would accomplish those things without it. Especially the essential things like cooking, washing (dishes, people, clothes, houses/floors), lighting, etc. Look at what you need fuel for (heating, transportation) and think about what you would do without it. If you live in a cold climate and don't have a woodstove, what do you do when the power goes out? When natural gas, propane, or heating oil is gone? Even if you do have a woodstove, what hand tools (saws, axes, splitting mauls) do you have for cutting firewood?

This is kind of like preaching to the choir because I know just about everyone who reads this has already thought about these things!

13. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Yeah, personally, I would just grab a horse and use that for transportation. I know of several in the area that I could use, if need be. (no, I don't mean stealing them; I mean friends with farms/multiple horses)

I don't really understand the folks who feel the need for hundreds or thousands of gallons of fuel, either. I figure that in the event of a complete societal collapse, we will probably go back to the 1800s-level of travelling less than 100 miles for what we need, or eventually, back to the medieval-level of travelling less than 30 miles for what we need.

I know this has gotten off of the original topic of electricity, but not by far; both gasoline and electricity are modern conveniences with which we could all do without. I believe that the relience on either speaks to a mindset.

14. Jezcruzen

Jezcruzen Well-Known Member

I bought a 4KW generator years ago after two ice storms two weeks apart left us without electricity for several days each time in the middle of winter. I've never had to use it! I start it up monthly. I did use it for powering my leaf blower a time or two. It will maintain my freezer and frig and also power the well pump, but only so long as I have fuel for it. Thats the weakness... fuel.

I've looked many times at solar. I just can't afford it. Besides, the storage batteries won't last but for a few years. Then what?

For me, water would be the most important should I be forced to live without electricity. I've been considering installing a deep well hand pump onto my existing well. I have the ability to heat with wood, and have an abundant supply in the woods out back. Still, its an existence I don't look forward to.

15. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I agree: Water would be my most immediate concern, as well. I live on the East Coast, so there is a lot of water, but most of it is very polluted. My ideal fall-back location has a well that is capped, but could be opened and used very easily, and is not far away from Deer Park (yep, the one where the spring water comes from).

I also agree very much that it would be an existence to which I do not look forward. Anyone who hopes for these situation is off their rocker.

I think that for most, the question shouldn't be, "How can I continue to have electricity?", but instead, "How can replace the things on which I depend upon electricity?" . Dependence is never a good thing.

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Dependence and addictions. Two things preppers need to consider alternatives for or find a way to live without when the time comes.

If you can't pump water from anywhere, consider ways to filter and purify (boiling?) the water you have access to, whether it's surface water of lakes, streams, etc., or rainwater.

Filter and purify don't mean the same thing. Filter the water though sand, crushed charcoal, layers of fabric, whatever, to remove debris. Boil to kill pathogens. These things, however, might not remove chemical contaminants.

A hand-pump on your well is a possibility, to fall back on. Safer water to be had that way, for sure.

17. Jezcruzen

Jezcruzen Well-Known Member

I have great tasting well water. I just need a dependable/alternative means of obtaining it.

I bought a Royal Berky water filter just in case. I also have two screened rain barrels on two corners of the house that together will hold 110 gal. I would drink it in a pinch using the Berky. Currently, I use them for irrigating my garden, which is downhill from the barrels.

I maintain a supply of water stored in the basement, but that is intended more for emergencies of a short duration. I discovered to my chagrin that just flushing my toilets takes 5 gal. !

Turtle, I'm in the middle of Virginia, so we aren't that far apart.

18. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

And no doubt you've heard the saying "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" for saving water for this function? :) Kind of an icky thought in good times, but there it is.

Sounds like you've planned well for your water situation.

19. goodoleboy8205

goodoleboy8205 Member

Im sure most of us that plan to use generators intend it to be only for short term use. perhaps at the most a year. There are other ways to get around the convience of electricity.
    As far as freezers go you need to look back a hundred years ago. How did they do this? An Ice house. An ice house is much like a root cellar but you harvest ice in the coldest part of the winter and pack it into the ice house with lots of saw dust.
    Storing meat is done by salt curing. I know a lot of you dont like the idea of using salt in that way but if you know how to cook salt cured meat it isnt that salty and it accually has a great flavor that cant be reproduced with modern processes.
    A lot of what is your normal diet will be unheard of if a true TEOTWAWKI. food will be seasonal and some of what is your regular diet now will be unheard of.
    A lot of the preps that most of you are doing is for short term. I consider short term as less than 5 years. What I mean is are you prepared to change your lifestyle to prior to the industrial age? A lot of skills and technology has been lost over the years. The way our ancestors lived years ago is unknown today.

20. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I intend to preserve a 2011 lifestyle, NOT a 1811 one...

In way of rebuttal I offer this:

If you want to find out if you are really prepared, figure out how to produce your OWN power... for a LIFETIME.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this goes for engineering refrigeration units, furnaces, methane digesters, crafting pharmaceuticals and anything ELSE you can!

the "good ol' days", were NOT that 'good'

------------------------------------------------------------------

this is meant as a positive post, NOT an attack