Put some of my training to use......

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by tyler_kd0bsa, May 28, 2011.

1. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

Today I was eating lunch at a local establishment in my area when I glanced out the window to see a bicycler get hit by a turning car. I quickly rushed out and put my medical training to use. Called 911 and requested an ambulance. Then began to check for more than just the visible injuries. From what I found she had a broken leg and most likely a concussion. She had no helmet on and hit the street head first. Bleeding out of the mouth. Most likely a chipped tooth or two. Treated for shock cause she started to go into it and waited till help arrived. Unfortunately the 911 system since its changed here seems to suck. It took 10 minutes till the ambulance arrived. It was a good test of my skills but I still hate to have to use them and hope that she'll be okay.

2. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

Oh my gosh Tyler, good thing you were there! I'm afraid I wouldn't have known what to do........except comfort, hold her still. call 911 and pray. Are you an emt or military? You said your medical training, is it part of your job?

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:2thumb: & :congrat: to you Tyler

glad that Good Samaritan laws have been enacted in most places so people with training actually can help without worrying about being sued

4. beanpicker

beanpicker Well-Known Member

I hope if I ever need help on the street some one like you are close by..The LORD put you at the right place,, sorry the LORD told me to say that , an the devil tryed to stop me....

5. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

:congrat: Awesome! Good for you!

I think everyone should learn first aid/CPR and be trained!
    This year alone I've found an old man with his walker on top of him face first in the ground (he tripped and got knocked out), and a man laying in the middle of the street (he was extremely drunk)...

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Good job, Tyler. Knowing what do do "on paper"and actually being able to perform those actions when in a time of need are two very different things.

Good work, man!

7. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

calll to 911

I only wish that 911 was 10 min out. Here where I live, it 45 min or longer. when my dh had his heart attack two weeks ago, we waited 45 min. i called back to find out that they were lost!!! thank god I am a trained EMT and dh is a nurse and a paramedic. I had the o2 and life pack ( a three led monitor that can shock or pace the heart) needed to help him. In most areas your local fire dept, usually volunteers, comes first. check out your FD and see what level of training they have in medical. then volunteer to help. the help you get just may save your own life.

8. EX121

EX121 New Member

10 minutes is good, National adverage is 9 minutes. That's why it pays to be prepared.

9. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Our station (fire, no medical) is actually a little slower than that. By the time we get to the station, gear up, and backroad it to the call it's probably a touck longer than that. We have a lot of small vfc's in our rural/small town area and while we're seperate, we all work together as a team. On top of that, many of our calls are for auto accidents in the middle of the night along a dark road where an accident has happened but it took a while for someone else to happen across the scene, so the victim may have been there for a while.

In short-yes, it is better to be able to do at least something for yourself until help arrives.

10. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

I'm a trained wilderness first responder along with advanced first aid and cpr. And nope not part of my job. Just jot curious and started taking classes.

Yea it may be, but when the fire department took over the ems service here from the private company the response time was doubled. My mother is a paramedic and worked for the private company that got basically thrown out and her average response time was 4.5 to 5 minutes and they only had 4 stations across town. The fire department has over 12 across town.

11. beanpicker

beanpicker Well-Known Member

Years ago I was coming home from work when out of a small gravel road a truck darted in front of me wthout looking or stoping, no big deal I wasn't going that fast but did have to break some what, but about 4 mile down the road there was the black truck in the ditch area , up a several small trees. just skinned the bark off them an was holding him up about 6 foot off the road ,, I stoped an sure enought a young boy was in the truck , well the first thing I said to my self was stay calm, an I did ,, I went to the boy, at first he didn't respond , but has some blood from his nose, but was not poring out fast.. I findly got him to respond buy speaking to him slowing an not shaking him , course the first thing he wanted to do was just out of the truck , but I
    convence him to set still till he could see if any thing was broken, I was on the out side of the truck , up about 6 foot on a couple 6-8 inch tree limb, all 250 pound of me , but he was ok, so findly him getting out of the truck I was taking him home for heck I knew what road he darted out of, but he broke down an started crying saying his grand ma was going to kill him, seem like the kid was late for work, just 16 , lived with grand parents.. but he was littery falling apart in fear his grand ma going to kill him.. so I stoped my car , turned an faced him taking his shoulderin my hand an speaking softly saying I was a mother , an I could promise him that his grand ma was not going to kill him that she would be more glad he was alive..so that calmed him down,, sure enought she was so happy he was ok,, so was grandpa.. ( he may of gotten his butt in trouble after I left, but Im sure they didn't kill the kid )

But any way the next day at work I was running my machine an I got to thinking I wonder how the boy was, an with in a secod I was about to to collaspe , I couldn't breath, was shaking all over , started to cry , I just littery fell apart, I went to the lady behind me , she was a union stewert, told her I had to get out of here , I felt like running , but she took me to the bath room an she called the plant EMT , well they got me calmed down an they poined out a lot of responders break down the day after .. going threw the day after scared me more that actually helping when I was needed.. That was the only time I had that kind of scare, an I pray if it ever happenes again I'll be able to handle my self, ( the next day ) for it honestly scare the living heck out of me..