Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I eat a higher protein/lower carb diet and have had a protein shake virtually every morning for breakfast for the last 20 years or so. Not much has been mentioned here about storing it for a shtf scenario. It's a cheaper protein source than meats and very convenient. I'm using Optimum Nutrition's Whey powder that is "instantized" so it dissolves easily by stirring with a spoon or shaking (no blender if no power). Question:..the expiration dates are typically a couple years from purchase but I've been wondering if it would last longer dumped in a mylar bag, sealed in a food bucket....thoughts?

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I have been thinking about the same thing. My thought was to put it into 1/2 gal vacuum seal bags with a few oxygen absorbers. Then put that into a second bag and filling up a strong 5 gallon bucket. A few tablespoons added to other meals would up the protein and calorie count, especially with so many of the freeze dried and other long terms foods being high carb.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd like to know if anyone has seen a study on this. I've often wondered about protein shakes- I'd go all out on them if it wasn't for flavor fatigue. (Appetite fatigue? Food?) anyways I'm a big fan of them and like to know the best way for long term storage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I come from a family that has the rare genetic condition Marfan Syndrome. A broken chromosome keeps us from processing protein properly and consistently. So in a shtf situation we would need to store vast quantities. I consume an average of 180 grams a day. I’m sure there are others who would have the same situation. I have dry beans and other sources in storage of course. But powder would certainly help elevate the nutritional value in stock. As well as reduce the alloted space required for storage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts