Prophets of Doom

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Turner, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Turner

Turner Member

Saw this show on the History Channel last nigh...

basically, 5-6 guys, all with different backgrounds, came together and discussed the collapse of our country.

first guy talked about the financial collapse
    second talked about fossil fuels, and the collapse of society due to our need of them

third talked about the fact that fresh water is disappearing

forth talked about Artificial intelligence and the fact that electronic brains are close to human brains

to tell you the truth i cant remember the other 2, but it was a good show

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Was that the name of it? "Prophets of Doom"?

Be worth watching it, I'd say!

3. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

There was a time where people would scoff at psychics and so-called "prophets", but when these individuals consistently have a lot of "hits" that have happened after their successful predictions range above 80%, you begin to take notice. I'm not talking about those that "prognosticate" events from trends and so on, I mean those that predict things that you couldn't forsee... like "right out of the blue".

Somehow, society has been "programmed" to reject and ridicule this notion and try to "destroy" persons with this ability. Hey, after all, "the proof is in the pudding". If someone predicts 8 events out of 10 sucessfully, chances are good that the next prediction will come true.

I personally seem to have been blessed (or cursed, with all the razzing I get) with a smidgen of this "psychic" ability, -all my relatives and friends have been astonished at the thousands of successful predictions I have had since I was 4 years old. In 2005, I began posting many predictions in the internet and received over 50 letters from people that swear I'm one of the better "psychics" on the net. I didn't ask for any recognition and I don't personally consider myself to be "psychic". - It just turned out that way... "I was born that way" is the only excuse I have... I try to help people with it and I don't ask for anything in return... ;)

- Basey

4. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

I caught that show..it was good.. educated guys making deductions through logical reasoning...the people (soon to be zombies) that think their life isnt soon going to change for the worse should see this show..I think if they did..they would realize the great ship America has too many holes in it to plug..I think all those men in the show could be right from their point of view..probably to varying degrees..but none the less..all of them right

5. Turner

Turner Member

exactly, it wasnt a 'Nostradamus' type show, it was simply looking at the facts, and examples through out history and relating them to the united states

6. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I was going to watch it but fell asleep. Sounds like it was a good program. Sorry I missed it. But knowing that channel it will be on again.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I tried to find it on the internet but doesn't seem to be available. If anyone knows of a link to it, if it's on there somewhere, would you post it

We don't get TV, so that's not an option. Ours is only hooked to a DVD player!

8. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I didn't see it, but the National Geographic Collapse touched on those points. I don't think it takes a profit to read the writing on the wall.

9. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like the DVD is available yet but here's the link ...

Prophets of Doom DVD PreOrder

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Thanks, BadgeBunny!

We watched National Geographic's "Collapse" on Neflix online last weekend. Everyone who can, should watch it.

11. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Found it on youtube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSpLUpiMkj0]YouTube - History Channel - Prophets Of Doom[/ame]

I haven't watched it yet.

12. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Whoa ... mdprepper ... that's even better!! :D

13. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Finally watched this. Good show. I wonder how many folks out there watched and had their eyes opened. (I also wonder how many watched and said "it will never happen")

14. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

I watched it as well. It was good and presented some pretty significant "what ifs" for sure.

1. Economic collapse - could be imminent
    2. Water shortage - I don't see shortage as much as potential cost increase of treatment (and/or desalination) and monopoly by the tycoons snatching up the supplies to sell.
    3. Nuclear terrorist attack - an imminent threat, would collapse the economy
    4. Domination by machines - a future threat
    5. Running out of petroleum - if we are serious about keeping it flowing, we need to tap Alaska. My theory is that we are holding off until the Mid East runs dry. This is only a threat if the enviro-nazis continue to be successful in blocking drilling. (They have managed - along with big Union - to push out all the heavy industry in the US so they are powerful). If we tap Alaska and offshore, we will have enough petrol to give us time to develop alternatives.

There's a bit of hysteria there, but it's mostly solid possibilities.

15. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

It IS imminent !

You are sooooo right... the "party" has been over for quite a while and the sheeple haven't noticed yet...

Kinda like when Wiley Coyote runs out wayyy over a cliff after the Roadrunner and doesn't DARE to look down ! :D

- Basey

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

~~~My theory is that we are holding off until the Mid East runs dry.~~~
    You are the first person to print my theory or voice it...I think TPTB are planning on holding other countries hostage..payback is a *****!!:ignore:

17. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

I watched it last night. Not really anything new, but still some good analysis and viewpoints.

Other than the "Terminator" scenario, the rest are all quite likely. I found the statement that "most people know there is a problem but don't know what to do so they do nothing" to probably be pretty true. The amount of work involved in getting to a self sufficient stage is more than many people are wiling to do.

If you haven't watched it yet, the youtube link is worth watching.

18. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

I tried watching it.......couldnt make it through 15 min.....not agreeing or disagreeing on anything that was said, I just cant take Nat Geographic hollywood crap....same as Nat geographics "collapse".......cant put my finger quite on it, i guess i just dont like the way they are making films these days..

19. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

They are catering to our dumbed down society where everything has to have blinky lights and loud noises to keep our attention... :rolleyes:

20. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Yep, thats pretty much it