Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some expet advise. Im planning on using an old 500 gal propane tank to store my 2nd lot of long term food in. The intent is to store a restart kit at a remove location underground. Only about 1 ft of soil but hid well. Has any of you done this before. I got acess to the tank and have all the equipment to refit the tank. Tried to get information from the local propane shop but they didnt know. Help with the following question and any of that great wisdom would be wonderful.
1. How do you remove all the old propane residue(if there is any)from inside the Tank?
2.What is best to paint or cover the inside so I can use for food storage?
3. Does metal retain any propane?:dunno:

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
1. Propane is lighter than water, so filling the tank with water should push out enough of it to make it safer to cut on. It leaves a residue, though. Black, gooey residue will still be left on the inside. It's toxic & stinky so make sure you have a way of containing it however you decide to clean it. It would be unwise, for example, to clean the tank near your garden, water source, livestock, or kids play area.

2. Epoxy

3. I don't know. I would find something else to store my food in.

It would need to be buried deep enough that the temp is pretty constant or it will sweat on the inside, get your food wet & rust. Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out!

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
A better solution

I need some expet advise. Im planning on using an old 500 gal propane tank to store my 2nd lot of long term food in. The intent is to store a restart kit at a remove location underground. Only about 1 ft of soil but hid well. Has any of you done this before. I got acess to the tank and have all the equipment to refit the tank. Tried to get information from the local propane shop but they didnt know. Help with the following question and any of that great wisdom would be wonderful.
1. How do you remove all the old propane residue(if there is any)from inside the Tank?
A better solution would be to buy a pvc septic tank. It is totaly waterproof and has a man hole. You will have to bury it where it won't float out of the ground .

:2thumb:

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
I'd skip the lp tank. It does permeate the steel over time.
We've used em ta make smokers an the only way after a good cleanin ta get the stink out is ta burn it out. I'd find somethin else ta store yer food in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would go with several 55 gal clamp top drums Plastic will not need coated steel will need rust proofed.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
When we do cutting / welding on tanks that have contained combustible fuels (gas, diesel, propane, etc) here at work, we follow the rules:

7. Welding and Cutting of Tanks and Piping for Flammable and Combustible Liquids and Gases
NOTE: This Section describes the special requirements for welding and cutting of metal tanks and piping which have been used for flammable or combustible liquids and gases. These requirements are in addition to all other requirements of this Standard.

7.1 Welding and Cutting of Tanks
a.Before welding or cutting work is to be done on a tank that has contained a flammable or combustible liquid or gas, the following precautions shall be taken, except as permitted in (b):
1.all liquids in the container, including connected piping, shall be either pumped or drained off through the lowest pipe connection. In the case of a liquid immiscible with water, water shall be added to float away any residual liquid;
2.in the case of tanks, all connecting pipe lines shall be either disconnected or blanked-off to prevent the entrance of liquids or vapours from any such lines;
3.any residue, sludge or scale capable of producing flammable or toxic vapours, shall be removed by scraping, water treatment, chemical solution, steam, or other approved method;
4.the tank shall be freed of flammable gas or vapour by means of natural or mechanical ventilation, steam purging, inert gas or other approved method;
5.the gas or vapour content shall be measured by an approved gas indicator to ensure that there is no trace of gas or vapour present;
6.where possible, the tank shall be partly filled with water to reduce the internal volume available for the retention of flammable vapours; and
7.where tanks have two or more compartments, all compartments shall be treated in the same manner.
b.In the case of tanks for combustible liquids, the requirements of (a) need not apply if the tank is partially filled with water or the liquid product and the welding is to be done on the outside of the tank at least 0.3 m below the liquid level and conditions are such that there is no chance of burning through the tank wall.
7.2 Welding and Cutting of Piping
a.Piping which is to be welded or cut shall be drained of product, thoroughly cleaned and freed of content, as stipulated for tanks in Subsection 7.1.
b.The section of piping to be welded shall be disconnected from or blanked-off from the remainder of the piping system. A closed valve is not considered to meet this requirement.
c.Where practicable, a slight internal pressure shall be maintained in the pipe by means of steam, carbon dioxide, or other inert gas which would be noticeable at a vent. An open end shall be provided to prevent an excessive build-up in pressure.
d.Connections to pressurized piping systems shall be made in conformance with good practice such as described in
1.APl RP 1107 "Recommended Pipeline Maintenance Welding Practices",
2.APl Petroleum Safety Data No. 2200 "Repairs to Crude Oil, Liquefied Petroleum Gas and Products Pipelines", or
3.APl Publication No. 2201 "Welding or Hot Tapping on Equipment Containing Flammables".
It is better to be safe when doing this kind of stuff.

I will also agree with BillM - a PVC based tank might be the better choice ..

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Definitely go with the PVC and save the propane tank for propane.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To all thanks for the input. I was just looking for something that I could bury, fill with my restart kit and leave it. Maybe the barrels are the way to go. Is there any suggestion on protection from condensation? I considered the water holding tanks but read on here they have a problem with the condensation,,, I have about 45ea 5gal buckets to hide… :dunno:

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Gotta go deep, get down where the ground temp be stable. Think caves, most a the time there temps stay within 10°. So, ya might need ta talk with yer state er county extension office an find out at what depth fer yer area that occurs at.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
NaeKid: good post, we got lots a folks wantin ta make smokers outa old lp tanks. Takes a fair amounta work ta clean em up before ya start the fab work. I ain't inta large explosions no more!:eek: Eight years a that was enough!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts