Preserving Cereal

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by benJAMMIN, Oct 23, 2008.

1. benJAMMIN

benJAMMIN Guest

How would I go about "preserving" breakfast cereal. Ones like cheerios, fruit loops, frosted flakes and others. Do I put them in buckets or vacuum seal them?

2. netandtim

netandtim Well-Known Member

I would think that vacuuming sealing would crush the cereals. Is there a specific reason you would be taking them out of the original plastic bag? Otherwise, I leave mine in the factory bags, making sure they are well sealed (gently squeeze a new bag, does it hold firm or leak a bit of air?).

You could empty all the boxes into a single mylar bag, seal it and toss into food-safe 5 gal bucket, add an oxygen absorber and then seal the lid on.

Net

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Cereal already comes sealed. They usually have expiration dates of about 2 years after production.

4. C.Winslow

C.Winslow Guest

My kids always roll up the cereal bag and shove it bag down into the box. Then close the box with the preset tabs. I have quickly learned that this does not keep the cereal fresh for very long at all. The best thing to do is empty out the contents of the cereal into a storage sized ziplock bag, or a gallon sized air-tight tupperware.