Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good reminder from Citizen Corps. Take time, this summer, to go over family plans with your kids!

Youth Preparedness
Citizen Corps : Youth Preparedness

It is important that children know what to do in an emergency. A few ways children can plan to be prepared for emergencies include practicing emergency drills at home and school, knowing where the family meeting place is, how to call 9-1-1, who the out-of-town family contact is, and what to do during an emergency.
I always had a practice drill with our kids, when they were little. I'd purposely make the fire alarm go off, and then we'd practice getting out of the house and across the street under the lamp post that was our designated meeting place. Do you go over family prep plans with your kids? Do you have drills? What do you do? -k

·
Registered
2 Posts
we've been teaching our kids little by little throughout their whole lives. Some things that are rock solid in their little brains are:
I will ALWAYS come for you.
If there is a chaotic situation where you are, I will come looking for you at the flag pole. There's always a flag pole.
Always know where the exits are.
Stay together. Be responsible for your siblings. No panicking. No taking chances. Don't stick around if things start getting hairy.
Don't show your little friends where we store the food. (that didn't sink in soon enough)
If the fire alarm goes off, get out and stay out. You can kick a whole through sheet rock if you have to, just get out. Grab shoes/coat if ya can. Grab car keys if you can.
As they get older, we add a little more. All of these little things add up over time, and they've become critical thinkers and problem solvers. They pay attention to the crowd, who is in it, how "it" is behaving. Not bad for kids.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts