Prepping for Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by GatorDude, Mar 29, 2011.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Time flies and, once again, hurricane season is right around the corner. I generally focus my preps on short-term disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, and burglars/home invaders.

I've got a basic kit of supplies, generally build up a cache of water and non-perishable food, and maintain a vehicle that is fueled and ready to go. My wife and I live in an apartment in a hilly area of Florida that is probably 25-30 miles inland. We can probably hunker down for most storms. But, we're concerned that we don't know what if any hurricane preps our landlord will take. If possible, we may evacuate just to avoid the discomfort of a hurricane.

How I Am Prepared For a Natural Disaster

Any suggestions to improve our hurricane readiness? If our apartment complex isn't boarding up, should we just skidaddle for a Cat 1 or 2 storm out of an abundance of caution? :confused:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hurricane Season ... :eek:

Is it that time again???

I would have a chat with the landlord. ;)

I would also add a scanner to my bob ... they can give you up to date weather, tornadoes from the hurricane and such.

Also with a scanner you can get a feel for the storm ... police, fire etc. and see what preps they are taking, that should give you a heads up on when to evacuate.

And IMO if you are told to evacuate, listen. :)

3. paladinFL

paladinFL Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Missing Florida

I lived in South Florida for 20 years, never missed a hurricane season. Check out the pages at one of the county websites. Broward County has an 8 week plan on what to acquire each week, I found it very helpful especially from the budget angle.

I know what FEMA says but the last major hurricane i sat through it took them and the state and the county and the city (too much government, way too much government!!) a week just to figure out where to go to distribute water and then had no way to tell people because the electric was out!

After my first hurricane in the early 90's I maintained enough food and water for at least 8 - 14 days. When the last one hit I just sat and ate my MRE's while neighbors chased their tails and the government FUBARED it all! here's my list for 72 hours:

Food and Water
    (3 day supply of food & water per person when no refrigeration/cooking is available)

* Protein/Granola Bars
    * Trail Mix/Dried Fruit
    * Crackers/Cereals (for munching)
    * Canned Tuna, Beans, Meat, Vienna Sausages, etc (“pop-top” cans might leak/explode & Jerky can “flavor” other items)
    * Canned Juice
    * Candy/Gum (Jolly ranchers can melt & mint gum might “flavor” other items)
    * Water (1 Gallon/4 Liters per person)

Bedding and Clothing
    Change of Clothing (short and long sleeve shirts, pants, socks, jackets, etc.)

* Undergarments
    * Rain Coat /Poncho
    * Blankets and Emergency Heat Blankets
    * Cloth Sheet
    * Plastic Sheet

Fuel & Light

* Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps)
    * Extra Batteries
    * Flares
    * Candles
    * Lighter
    * Water-Proof Matches
    * Miscellaneous
    o Bag or Bags to put 72 hour kit items in (such as duffel bags or hiking back packs, which work great)
    o Infant Needs (if applicable)

Equipment

* Can Opener
    * Dishes/Utensils
    * Shovel
    * Radio (with batteries!)
    * Pen and Paper
    * Axe
    * Pocket Knife
    * Rope
    * Duct Tape

Personal Supplies & Medication

* First Aid Supplies
    * Toiletries (roll of toilet paper—remove center tube to easily flatten into a zip-lock bag, feminine hygiene, folding brush, etc)
    * Cleaning Supplies (mini hand sanitizer, soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. Warning: Scented soap might “flavor” food items.)
    * Immunizations Up-to Date
    * Medication (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen,children’s medication, etc.)
    * Prescription Medication (for 3 days)

Personal Documents and Money
    (Place these items in a water-proof container!)

* Scriptures (miniature ones are lighter)
    * Genealogy Records
    * Patriarchal Blessing
    * Legal Documents (Birth/Marriage Certificates, Wills, Passports, contracts)
    * Vaccination Papers
    * Insurance Policies
    * Cash
    * Credit Card
    * Pre-Paid Phone Cards

4. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Been thru them all since Besty in '65. Camille '69, Fredrick '79, Alana '85 and course Katrina '05.

Been out of power a total of 37 days on the last four I mentioned.

I'm pretty much ready for anything with a name on it....

Jimmy

5. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Hurricane Andrew started me down the prepping road, didn't even know I was a prepper, just knew I was doing better than those around me. I had a Coleman Gas Stove & Lantern, alot of canned food and bottled water. I was quite glad I didn't have to rely on the goobermint. When Ike hit Ohio, I was without power for 6 days, but was ready with a gennerator and a plan to power up part of the house. It is interesting that the power company had sent most of their crews south to help with repairs and nothing was left to help us. It would have been nice to have more games to play or books to read, definately need more leasure activities to do while waiting for things to return to normal.:)

6. Horsedoctor

Horsedoctor New Member

For several years I've been doing lectures on hurricane preparedness for horse owners. I've tried to incorporate my "preppers" philosophy into this presentation in the hope that they will carry this info into other areas. I too became more aware with the devastation caused by Andrew. A classmate of mine rode it out and came up with his so called " 5 things you need to survive a hurricane. this assumes you have already taken care of a food,water and medicine supply.
    1. Roll of plastic and staple gun- can cover broken windows and roof after the storm
    2. Generator- and about 25 gal of gas. Run sparingly this can provide a significant amount of normalcy.
    3. Gas grill with extra propane tank.- to cook meals and boil water if needed.
    4. Pool/hot tub/pond- rinse off or bath,
    5. Fire arms- Steve said he heard gun fire most nights, looting does occur and the national guard wasn't always there.( get training)
    To this list I added some other essentials
    6.chainsaw- remove debris from roof and roads, even getting out of your driveway can be difficult.
    7.small window A/C unit- store in closet until you need it. It can be a godsend in the oppressive post hurricane humidity and you can get one for under $100.
    8. Water supply- either a well and a pitcher pump or even a water bob ( bathtub water container available at cheaper than dirt $20 holds 100 gallons)

There are many,many things that you need to do to prepare but as my wife's great uncle used to say " if you don't get started, you'll never begin".

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

If a person wants to ride out a hurricane or have a hurricane party :gaah:, I have no problem with that. ;)

It's the people that call for help, when the storm is in it's max and want someone (firefighters, rescue or police) to come and get them ... because they didn't "know" it would be so bad.

They are out of food, water or half the roof is gone (or than ran out of beer and starting to see the light :rolleyes:)

A Cat 1 or 2 (imo) - no problem ... but when you get to 3 - 5... take note. ;)