Preppers make the news

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by bunkerbob, Dec 29, 2009.

1. News bashing preppers

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Good news on preppers

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  3. No opinion

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I voted good news on preppers, but I want to make some clarifications. First of all, I didn't view the movie clip because it wouldn't download on my dial up connection.

I liked the fact that they used a "soccer mom" for their case study. It shows that we are not all armed wackos hiding in a shack in the mountains, as the article pointed out. Some parts near the end seemed a little paronizing to me but on the whole I thought it was ok. As for myself, I'd never appear in print or on camera discussing being a prepper because I'd rather "hide among the sheeple" if you will, and not be known as a prepper. It was nice, however, that a couple people were willing to do so so that the public can see that we are normal , not radical, people. A little less afraid than most to speak our minds, maybe, but far from radical. I liked how it pointed out that we are all prepping, but not for the same reason. I fear natural disaster and short term grid disruption more than the fall of the government and total anarchy. That's just me. Others may disagree and we're all ok with that. I'm trying to grow more food and Canadian (remember him? :) ) has no interest in growing his own food.

In short, I liked the article.

That's my 2 cents.

3. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Even though it came from Newsweek, I liked the article. For those reeaders who are truly fair-minded I think it might open a few eyes.

4. Country Living

Country Living Supporting Member

Thanks for posting the link!

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

—their paranoia compounded by 24-hour cable news. This is what got me. Like with out cable you can't tell the direction the worlds is headed.

I don't prep out of paranoia.

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Interesting article. Something that I think I will forward onto several others who I would like to interest more in prepping ...

In case that original link goes down, here is a copy / paste of the info:

7. NaeKid

And here is part two of the text. I will see if I can link in the video as well from that original link in another reply.

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

This is a great video clip, I plan on sharing it with a few people, including my wife. They may think I am normal. Sail

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

What is normal? :rolleyes:

10. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Theys will never thinks i is normal :p. But after our little snow storm before christmass. I,am getting a little more positive feed back on thing's. Because of me they stayed warm,dry,well fed. Some folks in the neighborhood did not even have a flashlight, jezz! it's still hard to figure some people. But i think everyone in our general area have had a slap in the head being 4 days without electric. This part of the country is full of prepper's, not in the tv sense. A lot of folk's grow garden's around here and have extra heat. Some just did not think it could happen to them. Still cannot get my head around not even having a flashlight in the house. I think the article was some what of a positive take on it as a whole.

11. NaeKid

kyfarmer, you think that's bad.

I was talking with a co-worker yesterday kind of jokingly about stocking up on beans-n-rice for Y2K. She asked if I was one of those crazies. So, I explained to her that at the time I was a computer-tech and I was testing / upgrading thousands of computers to be Y2K-compliant, so, I figured that I might as well stock up on food-supplies as well.

Her reply to me was "I only eat fresh-food, so, I go to the grocery-store daily for my fresh supplies". She said that she doesn't even purchase frozen-foods. I commented about dried or canned food - she looked at me like I was the crazy one. I told her about making my own pasta and pasta sauces, drying the pasta and canning my own sauces - again, she looked at me like I was crazy.

It was a real eye-opener that there are people who have no problems spending the huge money for fresh fruits and vegies through-out the winter. Makes me wonder what her "carbon footprint" is with all the shipping that she has to support for her daily food requirements.

12. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

They don't think about it but it takes it's toll on the environment to eat that way. Ridiculous.

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Takes its toll on the wallet too. :nuts:

14. kyfarmer

You can look for that one to be beating at your door one day. If she makes it that far. :nuts:

15. NaeKid

I know where she lives on the south-side of town. I live in the north. During best-traffic-times (late at night) when you can zip through the city quickly - she is still about a 1/2hr drive away. I could imagine that distance on bicycle and doing it in about 2 to 2 1/2hrs (I have done that ride from another section of the city) and would not even consider walking that - it would be an all-day thing.

16. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Daily trips to the store...

I know several people who think nothing of a daily trip to Walmart, dining out every night, or having absolutely no canned goods in their pantry.

One friend just went through a blizzard in Wisconsin, then proclaimed on Christmas Eve she had to go out to the store because she had nothing in the house for a decent meal, much less the next day's holiday meals.

I offered to buy a relative groceries a few months ago (during some 'tough times'). She laughed and said, "I don't cook." :scratch She buys deli items daily at the store, or dines out with friends. And somehow, I'm the weird one...:dunno:

The article is, I think, a realistic view of mainstream people becoming a bit more aware of the responsibility we each have for our own survival. I got a very positive vibe from the article, hopefully more people will read this and start thinking about preparedness.

17. kyfarmer

I hope your right about that, but that monster apathy will always rear its ugly head.

18. Jason

I've known people who brag that they don't ever cook. I like to go out to eat once in a while, but not very often. For us it's a treat. We don't have as much stocked up yet as a lot of you folks but we''re doing what we can and headed in the right direction. As I get more into this thing I become more and more aware of how pathetically unprepared most people are. It's mind boggling and people ignoring their own food and its stability is the epitome of lethatgic, stupid SHEEPLE.

19. NaeKid

I wonder how many sheeple live pay-cheque to pay-cheque and have no money stashed through investments, RRSPs, TaxFree accounts or in hard valuable minerals like gold, silver, etc.

20. Jason

Probably more than a few. My grandfather, a lifelong dairy farmer, once told me "it's not how much you make that matters-it's how much you save."