Preparing Wild Game Turtle

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Sigma3survival, May 26, 2011.

1. Sigma3survival

Sigma3survival Member

This is a how to video on preparing turtle. Does anyone have any good methods for catching logger head turtles without large traps? Something that could be used in a survival situation. What methods do you use for killing the animal when you don't have a gun, etc!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLIHZAyx-fI]YouTube - ‪Preparing Wild Game Turtle‬‏[/ame]

2. Sigma3survival

Sigma3survival Member

Survival Stir Fry

Does anyone here have experience with cooking up turtle? What recipes do you use and what methods do you use to procure your catch? This is a video on using a turtle to cook what I call survival stir fry!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZ4sgmvQ_4]YouTube - ‪Survival Stir Fry‬‏[/ame]

3. ra5451

ra5451 Well-Known Member

That's not a snapping turtle!

4. ra5451

ra5451 Well-Known Member

THIS IS A SNAPPING TURTLE....It's 45 Lbs....It's was good eats...tasted like a fish...You are what u eat!!!!

As far as how to catch them...You can use a 3" fish on top of the water with a hook and some STRONG line...Or..an arrow, with a string attached...That's how I got this one....Shoot them...Find them laying eggs in a sandy spot near the water....

Attached Files:

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:scratch uuhhmmm... I generally don't hone methods of procurring critters on The Endangered Species List... :eek: :rolleyes: :D ;)

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm assuming that ol' boy is dead, holding him that close... :eek:

snappers can extend their neck 50%-60% of their body length, so the big ones can surprise ya from quite a distance

7. ra5451

ra5451 Well-Known Member

Of course...One snap and off goes your fingers....I have other pics of the whole process...But didn't want to post yucky stuff

8. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

ra5451,
    I'm only about 90 miles from you and that dosen't look like any snapper that I've ever saw, and I've caught over 1000.that looks like what we call a mudd turtle, if that had been a snapper, there would have been no problem getting the head out and I've yet to see a snapper pull her head in that far.' At this time of the yr, hundreds of female snappers are coming out of the water to lay their eggs in the mulch piles and sand traps, i use to pick up as many 15 every morning, you wouldn't even hold the snappers around here like that, their head would be our and have a piece of your hand.
    Our female snappers are always about the size of that turtle, but every once in a while we get a male who is about as big as a 14 inch tire, they are real dangerous to play with, one bite and they can bust broom handles
    those are eggs.just not developed yet

after taking another look at the bottom, I'm sure it's an easten box turtle or a mudd turtle.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  9. ra5451

ra5451 Well-Known Member

Hi Lotsoflead...

I attached a picture of a snapping to my post. Not sure if you saw it or not? Here's what a snapper looks like...

Common snapping turtle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition, I have attached more pics (in the next post) for your viewing pleasure...Yummy!

10. ra5451

ra5451 Well-Known Member

OOPPPPS...Here are the attachments.....

Attached Files:

11. Sigma3survival

Sigma3survival Member

Not mistaken identity

Yeah I know it is not a snapping turtle, it is actually a painted turtle. Snapping turtle is just kind of my generic name for all turtles that want to bite my fingers. LOL! I don't put much stock in names cause everyone has a different name for everything. The indians would teach the name of something last because people have a tendency to put to much weight into a name and not learn the uses of it. When someone learns a name they tend to move on thinking they know it when they are really just scratching the surface. Sorry for the mixup! Thanks for the commentary!

12. Jarhead0311

Jarhead0311 Well-Known Member

It's a pond slider, actually a red-eared pond slider

[​IMG]

13. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Ah this ole boy will bite more than your fingers....
    Google Image Result for http://www.dausettrails.com/snapturtle.jpg

Jimmy

14. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member