Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I know I am not the only paranoid person on here:D. I thought maybe we could do our own preparation update thread on QuietTime for those that like to share that information. I am just not comfortable posting that information for EVERYONE to see anymore.:dunno:

What do you think??

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I think your smart and right... but it's so funny , we don't trust the open forum but we will in here and we really don't know each other hahahaha...

For some reason I've had a real downer day.. short with some of the posts i've read and was pretty negitive... guess i should say I'm sorry... OK, I'm sorry...

Well ...preps.. I decided to go with a small wood stove in my cabin.. the smallest would keep that cabin warm in the worse Montana winter I can remember ( and that one had a night of 56 below with a - 65 windchill.. so ..this means my cabin is small and well insulated and the stove is a bit bigger then it needs to be for East TX... but that's what I'm gonna do.. I figure in the worst winter here I could get by with 1/2 a cord of wood.. well..make it a full cord..

My plan is to plant some fruit and nut trees to the west side and something fast growing between the cabin and the orchard.. but that's in the spring.. if things don't blow up before then..

right now i really need to get an order in for seeds.. heirlooms.. from somebody with a real good rep.. I'm feeling something pushing me like it may be too late!.. and I don't have any seeds!.. so if you have a good source
then please tell me! someplace you've bought from and have used.. I don't feel like I have the time to research on my own..

I'm in a state of "Don't look back, something may be gaining on you".. why I feel this is whats got me on edge, I don't know why! .. it's just there..

God knows I can arm a platoon, but right this second we couldn't grow a bean!.. and we lost all but 6 hens and 5 roosters thanks to the neighbor who decided to clear out a big area of timber and brush so they could run 4 wheelers i guess... so all the meat eaters moved into the only cover left... HERE!..

I'll be glad when this move is done.. the land we are on is only 12 acres but has almost 400 right across the little country lane that nobody lives on and never has in the last 100 years.. and probably won't so we are in a good area..

We have plenty of LTS for at least 6 months .. and meat is not a problem.. tree rats may get boring but it is protein..

I guess whatever it is driving me today will either show up or not.. whatever, we will deal with it when it does..

Now one of you say something good and productive and full of good ideas...

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I tossed that original one into the main forum for people to help keep a record of "stuff" that they have done that is very "generic" if possible. Stuff that everyone does normally, but, with specific planning towards preps.

You may have noticed my posting in the original PreparationsUpdate about buying a motorcycle, which is a fairly common thing, but, my reasons behind the type of motorcycle I bought are different from the masses who are just looking for a thrill.

If you want to post more specific things here, you are welcome to ...

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
right now i really need to get an order in for seeds.. heirlooms.. from somebody with a real good rep.. I'm feeling something pushing me like it may be too late!.. and I don't have any seeds!.. so if you have a good source
then please tell me! someplace you've bought from and have used.. I don't feel like I have the time to research on my own..
D. Landreth Seed Company Online Catalog

This is were I get mine when I need something new. It's a local company(for me) that has all the stuff that grows well in our area and a whole lot more.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I don't have a problem discussing preps, even getting very specific if people really want to know... I'm just sick of the trolls, mouth-breathers, wanna-be-goobermint-informants & all-around dilletantes that start to come out of the woodwork whenever a forum reaches a certain membership threshhold (500-1000?).

Then the PMs about this or that & 'can you do _____ for me?' etc etc; short answer: NO!; long answer: HELL NO! :lolsmash: jk ;) I have my own shit to worry about, WHY do you think I PREP?!!?!? if you want somebody to do the work FOR you, you are on the WRONG website!

advice/assistance is one thing, doing your homework for you is quite another

THAT reminds me, how many new people here seem to be 'reporters' (bloggers?) ? that shit IS annoying... :gaah:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
D. Landreth Seed Company Online Catalog

This is were I get mine when I need something new. It's a local company(for me) that has all the stuff that grows well in our area and a whole lot more.
Thanks UJ I did check them out but they offer almost no Heirloom open pollinated seeds unless I missed something but i did google a bit and found another outfit up there who only sells open pollinated seeds... so I'm good to go!! thanks again
HB

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
It also seems like a lot of new people post a few times and then start trying to get close too fast.. The one I got PM's from had made one post.. I simply said go read that there was a lot of good info in here .. haven't seem a post out of him since

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
We got to debating whether inflation/hyper-inflation might be imminent. It's like gambling, I guess. Do we spend more now, or sit on our set-back money? We decided to take a portion of it and amp up our supplies, so yesterday that's what we did. I'm going to save our receipts and lists and a year from now I'm going to look at what it will cost then. Who knows, maybe we'll find out we saved hundreds of dollars? Dunno.

I was feeling pretty good about what we had stored and our ability to grow/provide food. Then I looked at how much flour we go through in a month with just 3 of us living here full time (I bake all our breads, rolls, buns, and desserts) and I multiplied that by a year. Then added in even half of our kids/grandkids being here. I don't feel so secure now. I did the same thing today with oatmeal. We buy 50-lb. sacks of it through our local food-ordering co-op. But I had one of those round cans the grocery stores sell, and I looked at it today, and it has 30 servings in it, half-cup of dry oatmeal per serving (add one cup water per serving). That's how much MMM and I eat when we have oatmeal for breakfast, so unlike a lot of other things where a serving is a laugh (so small!), a serving is a good measure. Then I added up how much oatmeal it would take to feed our WHOLE crew, and depending how many times a week we had it, it would go pretty quick. Even if we mix it up with pancakes and french toast, that's using our flour at a faster rate.

We don't have enough chickens/eggs to support more than MMM and I for regular eating. If we got more chickens, that's more feed we'd need, and we're struggling now to try and grow enough for the chickens. So far we've managed to keep the goat in food, but that's easier. The goat will eat alfalfa and other hay. We can't grow corn in our climate, which would be an easy grain for home-production for people or animals.

So, I guess I hope we don't end up in a long-term SHTF situation. It's overwhelming to think of how much it will take to feed the whole crew. Some of the kids have put effort into having stored food both here and at their homes, but in reality it won't last them more than a month. It's sobering to figure out how far supplies will really go when that's all you have to eat from.

There sure does seem to be a lot of new people lately, and they seem more aggressive about sending PM's in a hurry. I agree with Hozay, send them on their way to the threads. Just about anything people want to know is there. Why ask us individually? They should put it out on the forum. Next one that does that to me, I'm going to start a thread and say "Hey, folks, newbie 'Imadipwad' wants to know if such and such is a good idea, or how to do such and such, etc." :D

Why is it the government recommends people have food stores and other emergency supplies, then acts like those of us who do, are the enemy or are anti-government? I'm still scratching my head over that. I just don't want to have to be one of those standing in a line at a food bank or food distribution center. I'm not always pleased with some of the things our politicians do, but I'm not trying to start a war against them. Sigh...

I just want to be left alone to take care of myself and my loved ones.

It's nice to be able to come in here where it's quiet and just talk to you folks and none of the newbies and guests/lurkers.

:)

Oh, naekid, I changed my signature again because I had a couple people complain privately to me that it sounded like I was supporting Obama. I guess "Change" is considered a bad word now!

The complainers were lurkeres I know in my private life who sent emails to my personal email account, not members of the forum.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
have you thought of raising crickets for supplemental feed (for the chickens, silly :nuts: ) they are very easy and cheap (10 gallon aquarium with a moistened paper towel is all 1000 crickets need to eat and drink)

insects have much potential, IF we can ignore our cultural taboos long enough to utilize it

Ghann's Cricket Farm :: Live Crickets

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Thanks, Blob, that's a great idea! We even have an empty 10-gallon aquarium stored in the shed! Crickets would be good protein for chickens, and our chickens would be thrilled! They love bugs! I never thought of such a possibility!

:D

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I put new shelving in "The Vault" and organized everything. Despite my Husband being laid off/working/laid off again (what a terrible tread mill to be on:(), I now have 3 months worth of FOOD :D:D. Yeah!!!!!

I do have some holes (I need more drink mixes/juices), and I will continue to add as much as I can, when I can. We will be using our storage on a daily basis (we are the "store what you eat" kind of preppers). But I am thrilled to know we have a cushion.

Thank you all for your help and support :kiss:

ETA: Yes, I have other preps too. Toiletries, cleaning stuff, stuff to make more toiletries and cleaning stuff, etc :2thumb: I didn't want to ya'll to think I was only storing food:rolleyes:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
That's great you have your stored things to get you through your husband's employment yo-yo.

They've got sugar on sale here for $1.70 for a 4 lb. bag, which seems cheap nowdays. I've bought 10 bags so far, and hope to get more before it goes off sale Tuesday.

I wondered...do any of you have to pay sales tax on groceries? We don't, but someone told me that there are states that have sales tax on food.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No sales tax on real food here (Maryland). Soda, junk food and fast food all have sales tax. I think ready to eat (hotdogs, nachos from 7-11 type stores) are taxed.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Pa is the same way. No tax on food unless it's prepared meals.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Some days I think I am stocked up and then other days I feel so overwhelmed and like it will never be enough. I THINK I have about a six month supply of food on hand but if we were to have to take anyone in that would change quickly.

The hardest part I have with prepping is feeling like I am alone in it. I don't want to tell others, IRL, I have so much food stocked up yet it is sort of a hobby.

I have 7 layer chickens that have not laid since October. I lost nearly half of my flock in the last six months. I have two milk goats that I can not find a buck for! If I do not get them bred soon I will not get any milk from them and they were a rather expensive start up endeavor for us. I found a lady that said I could borrow her buck but when it comes down to getting it she will not return my emails or phone calls.
Ok, that was the bad...

This is what has been going good...
I am getting pretty stocked up on canning jars....but can always make room for more! Now I just need to fill them ALL this fall!! I would say that I am at the biggest supply of food that I have ever had in my life. My kids are awesome! They help with the chopping up of all the veggies and fruits that go in the dehydrator. My 11 yo is awesome about cutting up all the onions! They are eager to do anything I talk about or mention!
We started hand washing a lot of our clothes this summer and I have even been able to get the whole family to use the dryer less this winter by hanging the clothes on hangers on racks to dry! I am HOPING to get a milk cow this March!

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Today I added to the inventory of stuff:
325# of flour

.20 gauge shotgun + 100 rounds ammo

Electric meat slicer (mostly for slicing bread and veggies) (Thank you to my MIL for the gift cards at Christmas!)

A food saver (a week ago) (Also bought with Gift cards from MIL from Christmas!)

50# of rice

Plus some other misc. LTS items like baking powder, vanilla, taco seasoning, and chicken bouillon cubes, ect.

I ordered 2 dozen layers (peeps) that will be here March 15th!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I've been putting it off since last summer but I finally ordered 110# of sea salt. Should be delivered in 7-10 days. I've got the buckets all ready.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts