Preparations update

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by NaeKid, Feb 6, 2010.

1. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

IMG_1559.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_1564.JPG Last year it was the revenuer chopper now this year it is the revenuer dive bomber looking for that elusive Wildwood flower. Very irritating noise, blocking up the scenery breaking my mind.

2. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Do you have your lifeboat ready? 001.JPG 023.JPG

3. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Is it business as usual or are you planning for a worst case event, I suspect business as 013.JPG usual.

4. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Shelter, heat, cooling, water, electric, transportation, refrigeration, communication, security, entertainment, way to cook and preserve, medical supplies, maintenance equipment, just a few things you will need on you lifeboat. It takes years to build your lifeboat. 004.JPG

5. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

6. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Updated American made 2,500 watt pure sinewave inverter in the generator building. IMG_0383.JPG IMG_0386.JPG

7. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

A gate and fence can be a deterrent, and also delay, but it won't stop them. IMG_0246.JPG

8. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

With a fence on one side and water and foliage on the other side, directing a trespasser in the direction you want them to go can give you time to go to your backup plan. Setting traps on your property to injure a person is illegal, but we do have the right to protect ourselves in our home. IMG_1464.JPG

9. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Just a few of many bat houses on our property. IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1514.JPG

10. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

I bought this DX300 Radio Shack receiver new back in the mid 80s and have recently replace the electrolytic caps. This was a $300 receiver and was a lot of money back then and shortly after buying it they came out with the DX302 being a much better receiver. It isn't the best receiver in the world but it is a 12vdc portable receiver and is worth very little money these days, I might just as well keep it because no one else will appreciate it. 010.JPG

11. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Two 6" pipes don't equal a 12" pipe. Don't make the same mistake as I did, this pipe get blocked on a regular bases with leaves and sticks causing more work for me. 001 (4).JPG

12. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Induction cooktop. Sunfrost refrigerator, and microwave oven are efficient but a convection oven eats power. One thing I have found that cooks food fast and is efficient is the electric pressure cooker, you just can't cook a loaf of bread in it. The solar oven will make bread but in this area loaves of bread would be far and few between. 038.JPG 001 (11).JPG

13. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

After 25 years of operation the wind turbine was decommissioned and sold, I'm glad I don't have to risk life and limb performing maintenance on that thing. 048.JPG 066.JPG 055.JPG 057.JPG

14. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

15. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1650.JPG Soil/Bank erosion is a big problem in the small stream that flows through my property. The best way for me to slow down erosion is to collect and stake in used chain link fence IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1650.JPG along the banks using metal T post. Hat, long sleeve shirt, long pants, water logged boots, gloves, mosquito repellant, and 80 deg temps make for a most miserable job. I'm on my own.

16. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

What the heck is this? Defective tomb stone with emery paper mounted on a cast iron Singer sewing machine IMG_1071.JPG base with plywood board and wheels. I have a tendency to waste valuable time on stupid ideas like this. It is for sanding warped castings to make them flat again. It will probably end up being a table, or out the door.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  17. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

Something is in the wind.....do you have your lifeboat ready? IMG_1900.JPG

18. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Unfortionatly (sp?) I/we haven't been able to do very much prepping in the last few weeks. My wife is having some major health issues including hypothyroidism, periphial neuropothy and other issues. She can no longer work or drive and is working on her disability. Between trying to maintain our home, work and make sure she makes her doctors appointments I've done a "overload" and trashed my shoulder now. I'm at about 50% capability and am facing surgery in a few weeks being the only income right now being off a couple of weeks is going to be tough. BUT thank god for having our preps so we'll have them to fall back on if we need them!

zimmy likes this.
  19. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED

If you own rural property and have a septic tank, you now become a sewage treatment plant operator. This is the air injection pump in the aerobic part of the tank. Out for inspection. 014.JPG

20. zimmy

zimmy WELL SEASONED